Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    the horses foot bones increased in size and the number of toes decreased to end up forming a hoof in the modern equus.

There is variation in the earlier species of horse, but those with more hoof like feet are better suited to the drier ground and those with longer bones are also better suited to the environment. (Presumably because they can run faster and so are less likely to be eaten by predators). Ths means these ones are more likely to survive, whilst weaker ones die. Therefore, they are more likely to breed and pass on their genetics onto their offspring, giving them the longer feet and more hoof like characteristic, causing the horse to evolve over time.

ReputationRep:
    That wasnt even biology.... just general knowledge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    Someone make a proper unofficial thread :s
    Go here to see the full unofficial mark scheme: http://gcseanswers.co.uk/biology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ambraaziiz)
    Please tell me someone wrote about micro-organisms digesting the decaying grass? And how they respire so the carbon dioxide levels increase?
    Yes I said that too!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What did you put for the question and it said something about why fish didn't eat mosquitos eggs?

ReputationRep:
    For the data logger question, could i say quicker readings as its directly attached.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redcoats)
    It said in the question that any sense organ in the head is connected to the brain so I don't think eyes are right. The question asked for a sense organ connected to the spinal cord which is skin
    That's what i said to my friends, I wrote skin too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ads.m)
    For the data logger question, could i say quicker readings as its directly attached.
    I put more accurate but don't know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ambraaziiz)
    Please tell me someone wrote about micro-organisms digesting the decaying grass? And how they respire so the carbon dioxide levels increase?
    yep and that the decaying plants release co2 as well

ReputationRep:
    I got 66.6% for the malaria question because I figured that 0.6% of all people infected with malaria dying was way too low to be correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ads.m)
    Valid, but did you talk out the accuracy of the equipment as a quicker time would suggest that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beth_xox)
    the horses foot bones increased in size and the number of toes decreased to end up forming a hoof in the modern equus.

There is variation in the earlier species of horse, but those with more hoof like feet are better suited to the drier ground and those with longer bones are also better suited to the environment. (Presumably because they can run faster and so are less likely to be eaten by predators). Ths means these ones are more likely to survive, whilst weaker ones die. Therefore, they are more likely to breed and pass on their genetics onto their offspring, giving them the longer feet and more hoof like characteristic, causing the horse to evolve over time.
    Yeah I put this
    Perfect answer :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    I wrote for the last question mayfly larve and water pollution, what would be another way to find out the water pollution??

ReputationRep:
    0.67% was right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hguin)
    Go here to see the full unofficial mark scheme: http://gcseanswers.co.uk/biology

Answers don't appear to be on link 😕

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hguin)
    Lets create the unofficial mark scheme for today's biology paper, please help by commenting in this format: [Question number - Question - Answer - marks given].

Please continue to submit answers!

Go here to see the complied mark scheme: http://gcseanswers.co.uk/biology

Attachment 533179
    1. Llegal, recreation (1) 2. Changes chemical reactions, causes withdrawal symptoms (1) 3. Independent company - not associated with the drug company (1) 4. Unbiased (1) 5. Effects nicotine, which is the same area as alcohol in the brain. Reduces pleasure, more likely to drink less (2) 6. Boys drink beer, cider but the girls drank more wine, alcopop and spirits. (2) 7. Not all boys drink because...(2) 8. Carbohydrates --> Energy, Protein --> Growth + repair, Fat --> Warmth + energy, Fibre --> helps digestive system, Calcium --> strong bones and teeth, Water --> Hydrated the body (6) 9. Temperature sensor - more accurate/easier to read because digital (1) 10. It increased because micro organisms break down grass, respire and release CO2 This is trapped because of cotton wool so it accumulates and increases (2) 11. It levels off at 20% because either not oxygen left for microorganisms to respire or all of the grass has been decomposed so the microorganisms have nothing left to feed on to respire (not sure) (1) 12. Receptor (e.g eyes/tongue/nose/skin/ears) detect stimuli and pass on an impulse. Effectors (e.g muscles/glands) receive an impulse and respond by contracting/releasing hormones (4) 13. Synapse - junction/small gap between two nerve endings/neurone (2) 14. Neurotransmitters diffuse through the synapse, attach onto nerve ending and continues pulse (2) 15. Sense organ using spinal chord - skin (1) 16. Mean speed = 80/50 = 1.6 (2) 17. Why is brain (without relay neurones) faster than spine? Less time wasted for impulses to be passed through the relay so it travels faster than the spine because of a shorter distance (2) 18. Biomass is lost through waste/energy/heat/respiration/movement (2) 19. There is a large amount of snails (200) as opposed to thrush (2) meaning they have less competition and ate more snails this more biomass (2) 20. It is a scatter graph because it is comparing two sets of data (1) 21. Higher percentage of no striped snails in woodlands but low percentage in grassland. Whereas with the light coloured snails, there's a higher percentage in grassland and low percentage in woodlands. (2) 22. Woodland snails are better adapted because they are camouflaged (1) 23. Horses foot size increased, amount of foot touching the floor decreased (2) 24. Foot has a larger surface area so less pressure on soft mud so they don't sink into the ground (2) 25. Variation in genes/mutations, better characteristics allow it to survive better and breed so their genetic material are passed onto the next generations. (4) 26. Advantages 1. Males are released, they don't feed of blood so they don't cause malaria. 2. They reproduce so the children die before they become female adults and reduce malaria outbreak 27. Disadvantages 1. Millions are released which could disrupt food chain, may even reduce biodiversity. 2. There could be long term side effects 28. Overall they should/shouldn't release the mosquitos because... (4) 29. Cut the gene using an enzyme from the DNA of the bacteria. Cut the DNA, using an enzyme, of the mosquito and insert the gene into it. Put the cell back into... (3) 30. First part of the food chain are producers i.e plants (2) 31. Mayfly larvae (animal) - water pollution (1) 32. Oxygen meter/rat tailed maggots/sludge worms for water pollution (1)60 marks

(Did this on my phone so explains why it's formatted so badly)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lunaticash19995)
    I did the same mistake as you. I times by 100 twice!!
    I got 2500%

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It was a about why Mosquitos were not the first organism in the food chain. This is because they do not produce their own food, and feed on something else- and do not use the sun so they could not be first. Also, usually plants are the producers.

ReputationRep:
    Lol All you people arguing about 66.6% and 0.67% and i'm here with 6.6% lol... i wrote 1/150 x 100 but wrote wrong answer - would that get me the mark?

ReputationRep:
    Is the one where it asks you about why a scatter graph was chosen is because it's appropriate to show relationship between two sets of continuous data?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.