Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    Oh cool. So does Buddhism give dictate any specific morals?
    Yea, we call it the Sila. It's basically just common decency though. There's so many suttas on each part of it but the Dhammapada contains a summary of it.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipit...p.10.budd.html
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipit...p.14.budd.html
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipit...p.15.budd.html
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipit...p.17.budd.html
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipit...p.19.budd.html
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipit...p.21.budd.html

They're not too long, don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shakeebshams)
    ...The prophet before was known as the most honest and the most respected person in all of Arabia...
    That had been my picture of Mohammad. I used to defend Mohammad and Islam, as I have friends and family that are Muslims. At a point several years ago, I started my own research into the life of Mohammad, what I found did not match at all the picture that I had developed throughout my life. It is incredibly sad and unfortunate, but Mohammad is clearly not the kind, peace loving prophet or religious figure that matches the likes of Buddha or Jesus, etc. Mohammad was a tyrannical warlord, the absolute worst.

Inshallah, Allah may guide you people to the right path and make your minds devoid of Ignorance

Peace, I'm out.
    We should all be on the path of removing ignorance, always striving to learn the truth. Peace to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JezWeCan!)
    This thread is about Islam.

The title is "Why do leftists love Islam?"

I was doing you the courtesy of assuming you were staying on topic and attempting to make a meaningful contribution to the discussion. My mistake, obviously.
    Don't accuse me of not staying on topic. Accuse your friend that you so gallantly intervened for...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    1. Whataboutery!
    A man having sex with a 12 year old does not excuse a man having sex with a 9 year old.

2. Muslims claim that the Bible has been corrupted by men, so you can't use anything within it as evidence.

Jeez, this is sooo easy!
    At least people like ash92:) and ThatMuslimGuy will present a word salad that people CBA to pick through.
    Indulge in the vanity of ad hominem and self-admiration.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by admonit)
    How you define "religion of peace"?
    I define it as a religion that consistently enforces a message of peace through peaceful means. No reference to murdering in the name of achieving peace.

ReputationRep:
    Getting tired of this "stop generalizing Muslims!" response. Nobody's saying all Muslims are terrorists that are going to behead homosexuals and rape people. However, the Islamic world has an undeniable problem when it comes to these things. Most Muslims are not the tolerant, Westernized family living next door who have a very liberal take on their religion in a land where it has little power.

There is a clear pattern when it comes to Islam and things like terror, oppression of women, abuse of human rights, etc. A lot of this stems directly from doctrine. I bet very few of the Lefty Westerners crying "Islamophobe!" would be able to survive in a Muslim country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash92:))
    Indulge in the vanity of ad hominem and self-admiration.

Enjoy the rest of your day.
    Sounds like the advertising slogan for a his'n'hers fragrance range. Like it!

Have you ever thought of being an advertising copy writer?

ReputationRep:
    looooooooool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ovo_zverit)
    I am a Muslim, and I don't recall raping, beheading or even using derogatory terms. So clearly, you are wrong when you say "all" Muslims are bad people. You have 0 basis to say this, apart from what the media is brain washing you into thinking. You're too easy and narrow minded. Sorry ;D
    Don't think that anyone has claimed that "all Muslims ar bad people", not even the OP. He just gave examples of extreme behaviour that he thinks some people on the regressive left may be trying to excuse.

and I don't recall raping, beheading or even using derogatory terms
    But the issue that some people have is that the person who you revere as the "best of creation" and "perfect example" did.

So, logically, if you think that someone who carried out or condoned those actions is your perfect role model, you must likewise condone those actions yourself, even if you don't actually commit them yourself.

It is a very simple concept that a surprisig number of people seem unable to grasp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Sounds like the advertising slogan for a his'n'hers fragrance range. Like it!

Have you ever thought of being an advertising copy writer?
    Take care, qe2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onde)
    The qur'an says that those who spread mischief about Islam should be crucified or otherwise brutally murdered. It is good that you are less barbarous.
    Oh you can read and understand Arabic. Why didn't you tell me?

ReputationRep:
    A "pedo camel thief"?
    Please I beg you not to say anything further. Simply because I don't want you to look like a fool. Define a hypocritical person, yeah? ;D
    I understand that the language may seem emotive, and possibly historically relative; but Muhammad did have sex with a 9 year old - so would be prosecuted as a paedophile in many countries today.
    "Narrated 'Aisha: that the Prophet married her when she was six years old and he consummated his marriage when she was nine years old, and then she remained with him for nine years." - http://sunnah.com/bukhari/67/69 and seveal others.

During Muhammad's expeditions and raids on caravans and settlements, camels were taken against their owners wishes, with the intention of permanently depriving them - so would have been prosecuted as a camel thief in many countries today.
    "When we conquered Khaibar, we gained neither gold nor silver as booty, but we gained cows, camels, goods and gardens." - http://www.sahih-bukhari.com/Pages/Bukhari_5_59.php

In the context of a 7th century Arabian warlord, nothing remarkable at all, but in the context of the best example for all humanity to follow - maybe not so good.

ReputationRep:
    Where is the concrete evidence??? I see none.
    I'd be careful about asking for concrete evidence for events surronding the origins of Islam.
    Somebody might ask you for concrete evidence that Allah actually spoke to Muhammad (via Jibril). Then where would you be?

However, if we are to accept the the sahih hadith collections are as reliable as anything else in that context, then there is plenty of evidence of Muhammad acting in ways that could get him tried as a war criminal today - although it probably wouldn't have caused much outrage in 7th century Arabia.

ReputationRep:
    No you wouldn't, because there is sufficient evidence showing that Nazism is evil.
    The Quran and sunnah contain plenty of evidence to shows Islam to contain violence, intolerance and discrimination (I don't like the word "evil", it's too vague and emotive). But that is not to say that it is entirely those things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    but they will ask for facts then dismiss them as untrue when they are inconvenient (such as the child molestation, banditry and murdering people all well recorded by previous Muslims)
    This is one of the common traits of the Muslim apologist who has been fed the sanitised version of Islam and is not familiar with vital parts of the Quran and sunnah..
    1. Deny X
    2. Ask for evidence of X
    3. Shown evidence of X
    4. Ignore evidence of X
    5. Often vanish, never to be heard from again.

Strange, I never get tired of it though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by admonit)
    How you define "religion of peace"?
    A religion that contains no condoning of or commands for conflict or violence in scriptures that are considered to be infallible and immutable.

ReputationRep:
    You could say why does the right wing have their tongue 50 feet up Israel an when it comes to diagrams when one is drawn about Islam western media scream "freedom of speech", fair enough< but when its one about Jews or Israel its immediately branded as anti-Semitism....take the ken Livingstone story as an example

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    A religion that contains no condoning of or commands for conflict or violence in scriptures that are considered to be infallible and immutable.
    can you name an actual quran quote and notone from a supposed sheikh as that can easily be made up and when giving a quote give it with the proper context and not just "kill" for example and yaddder on about it being terrorising

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluuidKarma)
    a lil history lesson here. please do read this, it's deadass interesting af tbh.
    LOL!
    The "Memoirs of Mr Hempher" are fake. There was never such a character and the events in it never happened. It's just like the "Protocols of Zion", designed to promote a propagandist narrative against a perceived enemy.

"History lesson"! :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    he Noble Verses are clearly speaking about divorce of women, and there are three categories of those women:

2- Women who have not had their monthly period at the time of the divorce.

For point #2, it doesn't necessarily have to mean that the woman was a young girl. It is clearly talking about the wife not having her period yet when the divorce happened. Women on average have 10 days of menstruation each month. Point #2 is speaking about the20 other days.
    And yet, in his tafsir, Ibn Kathir explains that this means
    "The same for the young, who have not reached the years of menstruation. Their `Iddah is three months like those in menopause."

Now, why would a new husband have to wait to see if she was pregnant? Obviously for one reason only, because it was assumed that she had had sex with her previous husband.

He continues
    "Supporting this view is what is reported from Ubay bin Ka`b that he said, "O Allah's Messenger! Some women were not mentioned in the Qur'an, the young, the old and the pregnant.'' Allah the Exalted and Most Honored sent down this Ayah,"

This is supported by the opinion of current scholars
    "3 – If a womandoes not menstruate, either because she is very young or old and pastmenopause, then her ‘iddah is three months, because Allaah says(interpretation of the meaning):

“And those of your women as have passed the age of monthlycourses, for them the ‘Iddah (prescribed period), if you have doubt (abouttheir periods), is three months; and for those who have no courses [(i.e.they are still immature) their ‘Iddah (prescribed period) is three monthslikewise…” - https://islamqa.info/en/12667

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.