Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    I'm in the London Pride Parade this year
    Have fun and take pictures! I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to make it.

ReputationRep:
    No problem whatsoever with it.

also,

>2016
    >taking the bible literally.
    >putting any credence in the bible.

ISHYGDDT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    I was for gay rights before everyone was shoving it down my throat. My logic is, if it don't affect my life, i dont care about it. someone being gay, doesnt affect my life, so i could care less what they do.But on the other hand marriage is another name for civil partnership, marriage hold connotations of some religions for me though.Its not like were hunting gays and lynching then, I dont think the fact they couldnt call their love a marriage was a massive issue , wrong but not a real hardship. Overall I'm good with them having gay marriages, All kinds of people/races/religions and cultures get married, being gay doesn't make anything new to the list.

I'm must say as an avid supporter of gay rights, I feel likegay rights and their lives are shoved down my throat nowadays. Which I’ve cometo dislike, an example would be the amount of homosexual relations on TV. I haveno problems with it, i do have a problem when a period/ era TV shows haveit seem like everyone loved and supported gays, when they didn't. They make itseem like being gay was cool and safe all the time, when in the 60's even inthe UK, you could get you head bashed in by the police for being gay. I was thetruth about how gays were treated, not the candy fake ********. I think its aninsult to older gays, who formed the foundations of their rights. Lastly I thinktoo many people, young people especially, who have no idea what love or emotionsthey feel, claim they’re gay when they’re not to get some attention or sympathyfor the injustice of the older gay generation. All that being said, I willalways support gay rights, I have no idea why I would fighter against peopleenjoying love, It’s hard enough to come by, no need to make it harder but addingother people worthless thoughts and views.
    This completely enrages me. How is having a gay relationship on TV an example of gay rights being pushed in your face? You're fighting for us to be seen as normal, natural, and a part of society yet complaining when that is conveyed? What ****ing logic you have.

ReputationRep:
    This completely enrages me. How is having a gay relationship on TV an example of gay rights being pushed in your face? You're fighting for us to be seen as normal, natural, and a part of society yet complaining when that is conveyed? What ****ing logic you have.
    i am personally pro love and if anyone wants to love someone who are we to stop that, however the physical act itself opposes Darwinian evolution and our altruistic behaviour as humans. fifty gay people on an island in 100 years most likely extinct. whereas "straight" people would produce offspring fulfilling the cycle of life.

ReputationRep:
    Did you read what i wrote, era/period drama, some from the 60's, such as call the midwife. Make it seem like being gay was okay and everyone would support you. When it wasn't seen as okay and most people wouldn’t associate with you. This candy up the fight for gay rights and make it seem like everyone was for it, when they weren’t. I think this Is an injustice to the older generation of gay people who fought for their rights, only for their gains to be candied by younger people, for no real reason, give people the truth, not lies.
    Sadly nowadays it seems like your either for gay rights or you’re a bigot, were as before, you call fall into a grey area. At the end of the day, you and I have no right, telling someone ne their religious and morale views are wrong (even though I think god is the opiate of the past generation to make sense of their sad lives) ; I’ll fighter for gay rights, and the right for people to dislike it and oppose it, it doesn’t work one way, it works both ways here.

ReputationRep:
    I must admit it took me a while to understand gay rights and to fully get behind gay marriage. But now hell, i'm all for it. I'm sure you've heard of this anecdote but i do love it, and if there is a God then he's probably a smart badass and is helping balance global population by an increase in homosexuality.

I think homosexuality is 100% fine, in fact it's more than fine, it's probably what is needed more-of right now in order to prevent the continuing spiral of exponential population growth. However it's needed for a far more important reason than just population-limitation. It's needed because it is a FREEDOM and people should be FREE to choose their sexuality.

A really cool read that i'd encourage for people is a book called 'The Forever War'. I don't want to spoil it but it talks about advancing civilization and just how rapidly opinions on sexuality and ethics can change.

Best regards
    Francis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Francis Urquhart)
    I must admit it took me a while to understand gay rights and to fully get behind gay marriage. But now hell, i'm all for it. I'm sure you've heard of this anecdote but i do love it, and if there is a God then he's probably a smart badass and is helping balance global population by an increase in homosexuality.

I think homosexuality is 100% fine, in fact it's more than fine, it's probably what is needed more-of right now in order to prevent the continuing spiral of exponential population growth. However it's needed for a far more important reason than just population-limitation. It's needed because it is a FREEDOM and people should be FREE to choose their sexuality.

A really cool read that i'd encourage for people is a book called 'The Forever War'. I don't want to spoil it but it talks about advancing civilization and just how rapidly opinions on sexuality and ethics can change.

Best regards
    Francis.
    People so not choose to be gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    Did you read what i wrote, era/period drama, some from the 60's, such as call the midwife. Make it seem like being gay was okay and everyone would support you. When it wasn't seen as okay and most people wouldn’t associate with you. This candy up the fight for gay rights and make it seem like everyone was for it, when they weren’t. I think this Is an injustice to the older generation of gay people who fought for their rights, only for their gains to be candied by younger people, for no real reason, give people the truth, not lies.
    Sadly nowadays it seems like your either for gay rights or you’re a bigot, were as before, you call fall into a grey area. At the end of the day, you and I have no right, telling someone ne their religious and morale views are wrong (even though I think god is the opiate of the past generation to make sense of their sad lives) ; I’ll fighter for gay rights, and the right for people to dislike it and oppose it, it doesn’t work one way, it works both ways here.
    You clearly don't understand the movement you claim to support.

ReputationRep:
    Why are so many people here against same-sex marriage?

ReputationRep:
    People so not choose to be gay.
    With respect i believe some people do. Many of my friends view themselves as bisexuals, getting the best of both worlds, they themselves consider it a choice.

However i know there's also a big genetic argument when it comes to homosexuality but frankly i think the way we've all defended and justified it has been wrong.

It shouldn't be seen as some 'genetic-cause-come-condition; but as a freedom, a right, and who cared what it is, we should make sure that we're not discrediting those people simply for making a decision.

This is a really interesting debate though, as we both support the same thing but come at it from different schools of thought!

Best regards to you!
    Francis.

ReputationRep:
    You clearly don't understand the movement you claim to support.
    How so ?, i dont claim to be an expert, but when it comes to what ive said, i know it to be true.(the facts anyways) please provide other facts to disprove me, instead of claiming your views are righter than mines. At the end of the day, i support gay rights and could care less about your opinion,always have and will be a supporter, not because its cool or i'm listening to other people's views, but rather i formed my own views on it and am willing to express it and what i think is right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #JOSH45#)
    Don't compare being black to being gay. I'm not even black and that offends me. Gays and feminists need to stop trying to steal black peoples civil movement ! Were you enslaved ? No. So cut the crap.

& for those "tolerant" people talking about love. Practice what you preach, you can't call people "pieces of ****" because they don't agree with you and then think you're a tolerant, lovely person.
    Were gay people enslaved? No. Just thrown from buildings, executed and killed in numerous hate crimes. Oh, and I forgot to mention, ALL IN THE 21ST CENTURY.

When was the last time you heard about a country having laws that execute you for being black?

Homophobic laws are still in place all around the world, so how dare you try and tell me that "gays and feminists need to stop trying to steal black peoples civil movement" (as if there can only be one civil rights movement?)

Gay people face discrimination just like many other minority groups, and being gay in some parts of the world can be a threat to your life.

So you cut the crap.

ReputationRep:
    No I do not support at all.

ReputationRep:
    I support minding your own business.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    They already had it.

Civil partnerships = marriage, in all but name. It was a good compromise, they got to be officially married and the religious goons got to keep their orthodox marriages. Now things are getting really heated over an issue which doesn't affect anything in the grand scheme of things. Gay marriage wont help us find the cure for cancer or help us invent commercially available quantum computers or any of that cool stuff. It's far more efficient to use the energy and resources spent on this gay marriage thing on things that actually matter instead.

Seriously, it's a label. A label! It means jack. It's honestly pretty pathetic of people to get their panties in a knot over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sad_core)
    No problem whatsoever with it.

also,

>2016
    >taking the bible literally.
    >putting any credence in the bible.

ISHYGDDT
    What the flip are you saying? Go on, do tell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    They already had it.

Civil partnerships = marriage, in all but name. It was a good compromise, they got to be officially married and the religious goons got to keep their orthodox marriages. Now things are getting really heated over an issue which doesn't affect anything in the grand scheme of things. Gay marriage wont help us find the cure for cancer or help us invent commercially available quantum computers or any of that cool stuff. It's far more efficient to use the energy and resources spent on this gay marriage thing on things that actually matter instead.

Seriously, it's a label. A label! It means jack. It's honestly pretty pathetic of people to get their panties in a knot over it.
    Yeah I agree, I wish the gays would just have civil partnerships and leave marriage to heterosexuals but the fact is that marriage comes with financial benefits. I don't see why the government didn't just add these benefits to civil partnerships but it's been decided now that they can get married and there's nothing we can do about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    What the flip are you saying? Go on, do tell.
    I'm saying...I love you. Marry me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Francis Urquhart)
    With respect i believe some people do. Many of my friends view themselves as bisexuals, getting the best of both worlds, they themselves consider it a choice.

However i know there's also a big genetic argument when it comes to homosexuality but frankly i think the way we've all defended and justified it has been wrong.

It shouldn't be seen as some 'genetic-cause-come-condition; but as a freedom, a right, and who cared what it is, we should make sure that we're not discrediting those people simply for making a decision.

This is a really interesting debate though, as we both support the same thing but come at it from different schools of thought!

Best regards to you!
    Francis.
    Then they're an absolute discredit to everyone who has fought for years on this issue. It is not a choice. You can choose to engage in sexual practices with people but not who you are inately attracted to.

(Original post by Peroxidation)
    They already had it.

No they didn't. I thought so originally myself but marriage had different benefits.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.