Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enderbat1999)
    no VDW is stronger and also carbon chain determines strenth im 100% sure

e.g in set 2 papers when they are talking about the moleculate VDW is stronger than dipolw, see usually dipole is stronger but this is a weak electronegativity difference betweeen the carbon and oxygen so van der waals is stonger and also cus the butane is bigger too means more VDW btween molecules
    Permanent dipoles are stronger you can google the boiling points of the actual compounds, you would probably still got marks if you give a good argument for which you went for vdw

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, does anyone know any particular reasons as to why the grade boundaries were extremely low, when the new spec was released in 2009?
    Surely, our 'new spec' will not also be this low? I think it was around 67% for an A in one of the papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SANTR)
    Just out of interest, does anyone know any particular reasons as to why the grade boundaries were extremely low, when the new spec was released in 2009?
    Surely, our 'new spec' will not also be this low? I think it was around 67% for an A in one of the papers.
    I really hope so!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcobruni98)
    I really hope so!
    Sadly, it probably won't be that low even though our paper was seemingly more difficult then the old spec paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SANTR)
    it's not just the fact that this is a new spec, the ISA's which have now been removed probably also brought up the grade boundaries as a lot of people got high marks on them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SANTR)
    Sadly, it probably won't be that low even though our paper was seemingly more difficult then the old spec paper.
    If it was 70% ish I would be so happy especially because of the first exam, so much maths! I feel like I got an A* in paper 2 and D in paper 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aminoff)
    I messed up quite a bit lmao, also for catalytic converter: 2CO + 2NO -> N2 + 2CO2
    Sorry if this has been answered but will I get penalised for writing NO + CO -> N + CO2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KweenK)
    Sorry if this has been answered but will I get penalised for writing NO + CO -> N + CO2

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah definitely 1/2N2

ReputationRep:
    How many marks do you think you guys have lost?? I think I've lost 5 because of the percentage error question, the data book vs experimental value question and the H2 graph question sigh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosemondtan)
    How many marks do you think you guys have lost?? I think I've lost 5 because of the percentage error question, the data book vs experimental value question and the H2 graph question sigh
    Wow only 5? That's more than 90% you must've done really well, I don't really know especially because I didn't use the specimen papers much so I don't know the mark scheme

ReputationRep:
    Iv been doing some research on the specific heat capacity question... I think the two main answers are - The specific heat capacity of the beaker/container wasn't taken into account or you could say that some water molecules evaporated and thus changed the actual mass of water.

ReputationRep:
    Oh so did you get full marks in the multiple choice...? If so what did you get for the last answer mentioning the moles and pressure in a container?

ReputationRep:
    Think I've lost 6 excluding the multiple choice (haven't got any of them wrong as far as I know though): why 0.5% is acceptable, why the experimental value was lower, bumping granules, and the oxidation reaction equation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neon_reaper)
    Think I've lost 6 excluding the multiple choice (haven't got any of them wrong as far as I know though): why 0.5% is acceptable, why the experimental value was lower, bumping granules, and the oxidation reaction equation
    why was 0.5% acceptable, was it because there was so much error in the other measurements that 0.5% was negligible? or was it also because the data book value was an average so there will be variation?

Im kinda happy my teacher told us what anti bumping granules actually did an hour before the exam, i also never knew what they were for until then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Splaffie)
    why was 0.5% acceptable, was it because there was so much error in the other measurements that 0.5% was negligible? or was it also because the data book value was an average so there will be variation?

Im kinda happy my teacher told us what anti bumping granules actually did an hour before the exam, i also never knew what they were for until then
    I'm not sure. I just put something along the lines of: 'it had very little effect on the resulting value and the temperature was only measured to 1 decimal place' as a guess. Might have got the mark, might not but it was only 1 mark anyway so I'm not too concerned.

ReputationRep:
    Hiii, I realised we take the same subjects for the exact same exam boards.... Do you have any idea where i could find the unofficial MS for both physics and bio unit's 1 & 2. Also is there an unofficial MS for U1 Chem??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ineeed4As)
    Hiii, I realised we take the same subjects for the exact same exam boards.... Do you have any idea where i could find the unofficial MS for both physics and bio unit's 1 & 2. Also is there an unofficial MS for U1 Chem??
    Here paper 1 http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4125207

Sorry I do Edexcel physics and ocr biology, so I don't have the unofficial Mark scheme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neon_reaper)
    I'm not sure. I just put something along the lines of: 'it had very little effect on the resulting value and the temperature was only measured to 1 decimal place' as a guess. Might have got the mark, might not but it was only 1 mark anyway so I'm not too concerned.
    I said decimal places too haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KweenK)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi, if you wrote N on it's own that way, then I'm pretty sure you will be penalised as it is diatomic and only exists as N2.

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think the grade boundary for an A is likely to be out of 160 across the two papers?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.