Ask the Speaker II

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I'm talking about people who receive it. For example if, as Aph suggests, the Speaker just puts up a link to the doc all of us MPs have to open it in order to read it - not to mention the Speaker themselves.
    But the speaker shouldn't do that, they should copy it to TSR and make minor, emphasis on the minor, adjustments to make it appear correctly just as they should with items submitted "normally"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    MR speaker, when will the constitution and GD be updated?
    Do they need further updating?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Mr Speaker,

Will this be updated at some point: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Privy_Council) ?
    Whilst a nice idea, that thread was last updated 6 years ago, so forgive me if I do not consider it a living document any more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Do they need further updating?
    No, it would seem that I had missed the fact that they already had been updated (I was looking for coalition break up but hadn't seen it) sorry.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how serious suggestions of creating an MHoC Wikia were, but it's something to maybe think about for that sort of record.

A bit like I half considered creating 50 geographical areas so you could all have a model "constituency" and could be the (Rt) Hon. member for x place.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how serious suggestions of creating an MHoC Wikia were, but it's something to maybe think about for that sort of record.

A bit like I half considered creating 50 geographical areas so you could all have a model "constituency" and could be the (Rt) Hon. member for x place.
    I do think model constituancies would make the house more entertaining and have an amendment to that effect I might consider putting forward.

What's the difference between a wiki and wikia? And would there be a functional difference at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I do think model constituancies would make the house more entertaining and have an amendment to that effect I might consider putting forward.

What's the difference between a wiki and wikia? And would there be a functional difference at all?
    But how would you do it though, there isn't really any way of doing it that isn't heavily reliant on trust

The other side is that even if you say just do London, England, Scotland, Wales, other you will get areas with just a few votes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I personally would like to see our wiki/wikia expanded to perhaps include past Cabinet members and perhaps even pages for individual members (this is one of the few things about other place which is good. I despise the rest of it. ) If you would need any help with creating/expanding wiki pages, I would be happy to help. Something I would like to see though is an easier way to access the wiki.

I think your constituency suggestion is a very good one and if Aph creates an amendment, I would like to second.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    But how would you do it though, there isn't really any way of doing it that isn't heavily reliant on trust

The other side is that even if you say just do London, England, Scotland, Wales, other you will get areas with just a few votes
    I must say not constituencies for election purposes, but to assign each person to a constituency after the election for fun, so there would be some way for you to pick where you would like to represent. (Or rather an order in which people get to pick a constituency to represent.)

(Original post by Aph)
    I do think model constituancies would make the house more entertaining and have an amendment to that effect I might consider putting forward.What's the difference between a wiki and wikia? And would there be a functional difference at all?
    Wikia is a website that allows you to create your own wikis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can avoid both but I shan't reveal more until I have the support to have a reasonable shot of passing it.

ReputationRep:
    I must say not constituencies for election purposes, but to assign each person to a constituency after the election for fun, so there would be some way for you to pick where you would like to represent. (Or rather an order in which people get to pick a constituency to represent.)
    Perhaps people could have a choice for 75% of the constituencies and for the major ones (London ones, Machester, Birmingham etc), there could even be mini elections in the House. However, I think we should keep the MP election process itself as it is. If MPs then get linked to a constituency after they have been elected, they could even raise concerns they have about a particular area through motions and PMQs.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to stand in the way of people making suggestions or whatever but for the record I think wikia pages for individual members is pointless and aggrandising and that constituencies (especially if we have to actually refer to people by their constituency rather than their name) would become tedious at best and confusing at worst.

ReputationRep:
    Having a page for each member would be pointless, we can do our own thing on our TSR 'about' section.

However I don't see any harm in having constituencies... some rejigging of the PCC areas could do it nicely?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to stand in the way of people making suggestions or whatever but for the record I think wikia pages for individual members is pointless and aggrandising and that constituencies (especially if we have to actually refer to people by their constituency rather than their name) would become tedious at best and confusing at worst.
    Perhaps wiki pages for indvidiuals might be a bit pointless but I certainly think it would be good if the wiki could be expanded.

For the constituencies, it wouldn't have to be too formal and people would still be referred by their names - it would just be for fun.

ReputationRep:
    Instead of individual pages for members part of each party page should be about the members. Most members would not have enough objective stuff to write about (or at least all party consensus subjective)to have their own page, although some could. It would allow people to have a bit about what they've done without having a very short page of their own. On top of that most members don't really have anything of note to say

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Perhaps wiki pages for indvidiuals might be a bit pointless but I certainly think it would be good if the wiki could be expanded.

For the constituencies, it wouldn't have to be too formal and people would still be referred by their names - it would just be for fun.
    (or updated )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    (or updated )
    I agree. Fez is working his way through the wiki though.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with this. Maintaining the wiki and keeping it updated in real time can be difficult - adding more pages that contain frankly irrelevant information will just make things worse.

There are several outdated & unnecessary pages on our existing wiki that could and should be culled (Privy Council/Ministers for example) - unless someone is happy to commit to maintaining new and existing pages, I feel an expanded wiki will rapidly become outdated and pointless.

ReputationRep:
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the current system works well enough. In fact, we don't need to complicate, but could do with culling certainly the privy council page.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the current system works well enough. In fact, we don't need to complicate, but could do with culling certainly the privy council page.
    *dusts off record, flips it over, plays it again*

Ahem, I mean…. :flute:

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.