Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Not quite sure where I'm going wrong.

\frac{du}{dx}+\frac{2u}{x}=\frac  {1}{x^2}

PI=e^{\int \frac{2}{x} .dx}=x^2

but that doesn't seem right as I wouldn't get the left side from \frac{d}{dx}(ux^2)
    The derivative of ux^2 is x^2 \frac{du}{dx} + 2ux which is what you would have on the left side if you multiplied everything by the PI.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiiten)
    ??? I have no idea what you're talking about.
    What is 2n and is arcsin inverse of sin?
    These will give you all the solutions you need in the question. These are called general solutions to sine.
    If you think about it graphically, sine has a period of 2pi so it will repeat itself every 2 pi hence the n to reach any interval of it. Arcsin is indeed inverse sine.

If you want to learn about general solutions to make our life easier; you can learn them here: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/r7dmaljcom

I'd recommend it as you wouldn't be messing around with anything you don't understand. I was never taught the cast circle but if you use these you will get the questions of that type right 24/7.

ReputationRep:
    Not quite sure where I'm going wrong.

\frac{du}{dx}+\frac{2u}{x}=\frac  {1}{x^2}

PI=e^{\int \frac{2}{x} .dx}=x^2

but that doesn't seem right as I wouldn't get the left side from \frac{d}{dx}(ux^2)
    LHS becomes  x^2du/dx +2ux which is  d/dx(x^2u) . You have to multiply everything through by your integrating factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverLucky)
    The derivative of ux^2 is x^2 \frac{du}{dx} + 2ux which is what you would have on the left side if you multiplied everything by the PI.
    OH OF COURSE! Completely forgot to multiply through, thank you! xD

ReputationRep:
    Am i doing this wrong?

Solve: 5+2sin(2x+1)=6 for 0<=x<=720

rearranged to sin(2x+1)= 1/2

let u = 2x+1
    sinu=1/2
    u=1/6 pi

change the bounds to 1 <=u<=4pi +1
    using a cast circle i got the first answer to be 2.05 but it should be 0.81 ???

*sorry if this doesnt make sense - let me know and ill post the full working
    The 0.81 solution comes from  2x+1=5\pi /6 which gives  x=5\pi /12 -1/2. You are forgetting the symmetry of the sine curve about the line  x=\pi /2 .

ReputationRep:
    PI?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    The 0.81 solution comes from  2x+1=5\pi /6 which gives  x=5\pi /12 -1/2. You are forgetting the symmetry of the sine curve about the line  x=\pi /2 .
    How did you get that first part????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    PI?
    Ooops I meant IF I always say the wrong thing when I'm talking about integrating factors, particular integrals etc...

ReputationRep:
    If  2x+1=\pi /6 , then by symmetry of the curve  2x+1=5\pi /6 as well.

ReputationRep:
    Ooops I meant IF I always say the wrong thing when I'm talking about integrating factors, particular integrals etc...
    It happens to the best of us.

ReputationRep:
    Refer back to my post and look at where you add on pi and take away arcsine(alpha). Alpha = 1/2. That's where it comes from with n=0.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me I'm learning all of these at the moment and my head is getting confused between all of them when it comes to what to use, what to do, when and why. A mess.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, I've just finished year12 maths. I'm hoping for an A in my as, would you say A2 is much much harder than AS? and if so, do you have any tips/advice that you don't mind sharing? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OGFakiie)
    hey guys, I've just finished year12 maths. I'm hoping for an A in my as, would you say A2 is much much harder than AS? and if so, do you have any tips/advice that you don't mind sharing? Thanks
    Practice questions and understand the topics, though I'm sure you learnt that in AS. It isn't much harder if you know AS inside out.

ReputationRep:
    Practice questions and understand the topics, though I'm sure you learnt that in AS. It isn't much harder if you know AS inside out.
    Any textbook recommendations?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OGFakiie)
    Yeah. The ones from your exam board concerning your modules.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. The ones from your exam board concerning your modules.
    Publishers you donut

ReputationRep:
    Trust me I'm learning all of these at the moment and my head is getting confused between all of them when it comes to what to use, what to do, when and why. A mess.
    You learning FP2 right now? It is a bit of work to get your head round everything but it'll be easier once you do. A fair bit of FP2 is just memorising things.

ReputationRep:
    Am i doing this wrong?Solve: 5+2sin(2x+1)=6 for 0<=x<=720rearranged to sin(2x+1)= 1/2let u = 2x+1sinu=1/2u=1/6 pichange the bounds to 1 <=u<=4pi +1using a cast circle i got the first answer to be 2.05 but it should be 0.81 ???*sorry if this doesnt make sense - let me know and ill post the full working
    Anyone know how to answer this using a CAST circle (i dont understand the graph method so i stick to CAST circles )

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read here first

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.