The Current Year 13 Thread 2016-2017

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthie2267)
    I've been dying to know what my marks for each question were in history is the account yours or does a teacher have to find out for you?? (also, I have to ask: which topics did you do for AS/going to do for A2??)
    My teacher has one :-)

I did route G - so Germany 1918-89 as well as Fascist Italy 1911-46. This year I'm also doing Tudor Rebellions and Witchtrials coursework

You?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    I started two weeks ago!! Hey guys, I think I'll join in this thread if that's okay.

Anyone doing any of these subjects?

English Language
    English Literature
    History

(also doing an EPQ!)
    Ooh I'm doing Lang and an EPQ - really looking forward to the language change bit of language, hopefully we'll get to look at how it's changed over the long term, ie since the Norman conquest... (so interesting!) I'm also looking forward to the coursework, especially the creative writing because I'm doing a style model on a Japanese short story (I want to study Japanese at uni)

Are you doing AQA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    My teacher has one :-)

I did route G - so Germany 1918-89 as well as Fascist Italy 1911-46. This year I'm also doing Tudor Rebellions and Witchtrials coursework

You?
    damn oh well I'll have to cope knowing my general scores for each paper then I guess

I did route C - Stuart Britain and the Glorious Revolution 1625 - 1701 and the Russian Revolution. How did you find your papers? my friend did route G and he hated them D:

I'm doing the witch trials too this year! Only we're doing it as the exam and Nazi Germany (what a surprise ) as coursework! Are you doing coursework first? because I have to & quite honestly I'm not 100% sure what we're even supposed to do for it

ReputationRep:
    damn oh well I'll have to cope knowing my general scores for each paper then I guess

I did route C - Stuart Britain and the Glorious Revolution 1625 - 1701 and the Russian Revolution. How did you find your papers? my friend did route G and he hated them D:

I'm doing the witch trials too this year! Only we're doing it as the exam and Nazi Germany (what a surprise ) as coursework! Are you doing coursework first? because quite honestly I'm not 100% sure what we're even supposed to do for it
    I think we're doing coursework and Tudor rebellions at the same time, then once we've finished the coursework we revise Germany. I found route g, particularly the interpretations and Italy unit, really interesting. Just a bit tedious doing Germany for the 3rd year in a row lmao. How did you find route c?

I've got no idea how A2 history is going to pan out, I don't even really know what I'm doing except the unit titles hahah

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same haha.

Although I'm more excited to see my history teachers and celebrate getting an A!! Also I want to see my marks in each question on Edexcel Online or whatever it's called.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm such a nerd lol
    I'm dead excited to see my biology teachers so i can celebrate with them

I emailed them both on results day, and i made one of them cry apparently (in the good way!)

I actually got my mark breakdown for biology (OCR) and that was super exciting, but i felt a bit awkward, because, when you added up our school's average mark for each question, you ended up with a D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    I'm dead excited to see my biology teachers so i can celebrate with them

I emailed them both on results day, and i made one of them cry apparently (in the good way!)

I actually got my mark breakdown for biology (OCR) and that was super exciting, but i felt a bit awkward, because, when you added up our school's average mark for each question, you ended up with a D
    Ahhh congrats and that's good to hear!

With the average grade being a D, getting an A is super impressive

ReputationRep:
    I think we're doing coursework and Tudor rebellions at the same time, then once we've finished the coursework we revise Germany. I found route g, particularly the interpretations and Italy unit, really interesting. Just a bit tedious doing Germany for the 3rd year in a row lmao. How did you find route c?

I've got no idea how A2 history is going to pan out, I don't even really know what I'm doing except the unit titles hahah
    Interpretations are always really interesting tbh...damn, yeah, I'm lucky because I've never actually studied Germany in school so this'll all be new stuff for me

Route C was really fun tbh, I enjoyed the breadth topic more than Russia, but there was so much info to know!! i'm worried for next year though, because a) I have a new teacher who doesn't seem to be as good as my last one, and b) Edexcel gave us really nice questions in the exam at AS so they might ramp it up loads for next years exams XD

you don't sound too happy about doing the Tudors though - I think it looks like a great topic

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh congrats and that's good to hear!

With the average grade being a D, getting an A is super impressive
    I sure hope so
    But then again, I may have done something wrong when adding them up, but either way, the average is probably a low D, I think my addition was correct :lol:

Then again, our biology classes were plagued by people taking it, thinking it would be dead easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    Yay! What texts are you doing, and what is your EPQ about!?
    I'm studying Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Othello, Death of a Salesman from year 12 and this year we're studying The Kite Runner and The Handmaid's Tale.

I haven't fully decided on my EPQ topic yet, but I'm considering doing it on how Henry II influenced the modern legal system.

ReputationRep:
    Same! If i do want to see anyone, the public transport costs are so expensive! Can't wait until i can just drive to see people
    I hate that statistic :lol: I like to think in applying smart, but what if I'm not, you know? I'm trying my best...
    I'll do the same thing, I think. My fifth choice will probably be chiropractic...

That's so late :eek:
    That's a good idea! I am unsure on mine, perhaps like pharmacy or orthoptics idk. I feel that, I'm trying so hard to apply smart and to my strengths (balancing my unis with a few that have like 4-6 applicants per place and then one max too with more) but it's difficult with unis that involve the PS as how do you know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella1999)
    That's a good idea! I am unsure on mine, perhaps like pharmacy or orthoptics idk. I feel that, I'm trying so hard to apply smart and to my strengths (balancing my unis with a few that have like 4-6 applicants per place and then one max too with more) but it's difficult with unis that involve the PS as how do you know
    I might also apply to ODP as a fifth choice, but hopefully it will never need to come to that...
    I'm just not bothering with PS heavy universities, i don't have the work experience profile for them, so i feel like it would just be applying to be rejected. I have much better chances elsewhere, you know what i mean?
    Where are you thinking applying, i know one of them is Cambridge, but where else?

ReputationRep:
    I might also apply to ODP as a fifth choice, but hopefully it will never need to come to that...
    I'm just not bothering with PS heavy universities, i don't have the work experience profile for them, so i feel like it would just be applying to be rejected. I have much better chances elsewhere, you know what i mean?
    Where are you thinking applying, i know one of them is Cambridge, but where else?
    Ooo, yeah hopefully not! That's probably smart, I have soooooo much work experience though (literally started getting it in year 9) so that's not the issue, it's that I'm not sure if my personal statement is of as great standard as you need. Like how do you know. I get you. I'm nt sure, Considering Nottingham and Birmingham as they are both GCSE heavy and have beautiful campuses, think my last choice depends on whether I do well in the UKCAT really. 710 ish plus then I will apply to Kings or Edinburgh, if lower probably UCL or imperial.Going to see Bristol on Friday though, it looks really nice but it is soooooo PS heavy (legit 70%) so idk, wbu?

ReputationRep:
    Interpretations are always really interesting tbh...damn, yeah, I'm lucky because I've never actually studied Germany in school so this'll all be new stuff for me

Route C was really fun tbh, I enjoyed the breadth topic more than Russia, but there was so much info to know!! i'm worried for next year though, because a) I have a new teacher who doesn't seem to be as good as my last one, and b) Edexcel gave us really nice questions in the exam at AS so they might ramp it up loads for next years exams XD

you don't sound too happy about doing the Tudors though - I think it looks like a great topic
    I really hope the exams are okay next year hahahaha

I'm sure the Tudors will be fine, just not very hopeful because anything before the 1800s makes me switch off

I sure hope so
    But then again, I may have done something wrong when adding them up, but either way, the average is probably a low D, I think my addition was correct :lol:

Then again, our biology classes were plagued by people taking it, thinking it would be dead easy
    Same haha, everyone thinks biology is the 'easy' science A-level. It's not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethipayne)
    Completely unrelated to what you're planning on doing, but my question for my EPQ is "Why do all countries not use the same legal system?" ^^
    Very interesting, hope it goes well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatusStarbright)
    I'm studying Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Othello, Death of a Salesman from year 12 and this year we're studying The Kite Runner and The Handmaid's Tale.

I haven't fully decided on my EPQ topic yet, but I'm considering doing it on how Henry II influenced the modern legal system.
    Dude, that's an awesome EPQ topic!! Absolutely awesome!!

Hey guys, I'm doing Edexcel Route B History. I do Tudors as well, the German Reformation and also Witchcraft. My coursework is also on the Tudors because they decided it would keep Paper 1 fresh in our minds.

I agree, Edexcel did give us nice questions. I'm sure you'll do fine though, and your topics sound really interesting! I'm a complete History nut, I want to do all of the topics haha.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone finished their personal statement yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BR1999)
    Has anyone finished their personal statement yet?
    99.5% finished, just need to add a sentence about work experience then I'm all doneeee

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thevamps99xo)
    99.5% finished, just need to add a sentence about work experience then I'm all doneeee

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A sentence!!!! I wrote about 700 characters for work experience . But I've finished and I'm on 3998 characters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BR1999)
    A sentence!!!! I wrote about 700 characters for work experience . But I've finished and I'm on 3998 characters
    A sentence could be any amount

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thevamps99xo)
    A sentence could be any amount

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well if it's anything like my sentences, i wouldn't be surprised. I remember writing a full essay with no full stops

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.