Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldfish)
    Talking *******s.
    I'm really upset that they censor *******s...****ers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovy_moose)
    smilies are a good indication of sarcasm... otherwise it's hard to tell, there's too many people out there who would actually say that kind of thing...
    Exactly. Sarcasm is alot harder to pick up on a forum without the aid of smilies. I often struggle with that, so its not just your post HB.

ReputationRep:
    Heh just looked it up (not that I have time on my hands or anything!) and she got As in English Lit, Art, Geography and History of Art.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    You're the philosopher. You could probably explain a way in which they could all be true :p:
    Rather, that none of them are true.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't be bothered to read the rest of this thread. I got to about 7 pages and then gave up. So apologies if I'm reiterating what other people have said.

All I will say is that if Emma Watson applies to the philosophy department, I don't think she will be assessed on anything but her intellectual ability. I really can't imagine my supervisors (who actually do not seem to care about anything other than philosophy and the odd additional intellectual pursuit) giving a damn that she acted in a bunch of movies, however famous those movies were. I get the distinct impression from person to person contact with a number of these supervisors that they are quite detached from the outside world and not quite 'there'. Additionally, a number of them are quite moralistic (surprise, surprise) about the method of selection they use, have strong opinions in general about meritocracy and so on. I can't speak for any other department, but I'd be extremely surprised if anyone I know from the philosophy department just let Emma Watson in merely because she was Emma Watson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reema)
    , but I'd be extremely surprised if anyone I know from the philosophy department just let Emma Watson in merely because she was Emma Watson.
    I don't think anyone suggested that...:ninja:

(Only in this thread again because it came up top of my subscriptions)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    That "Noooooo!" you hear is the collective cry of anguish of the male inhabitants of Kings
    We've had this discussion. There aren't that many male trolls in all of Cambridge, let alone in King's.

Emma Watson on the other hand...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reema)
    I couldn't be bothered to read the rest of this thread. I got to about 7 pages and then gave up. So apologies if I'm reiterating what other people have said.

All I will say is that if Emma Watson applies to the philosophy department, I don't think she will be assessed on anything but her intellectual ability. I really can't imagine my supervisors (who actually do not seem to care about anything other than philosophy and the odd additional intellectual pursuit) giving a damn that she acted in a bunch of movies, however famous those movies were. I get the distinct impression from person to person contact with a number of these supervisors that they are quite detached from the outside world and not quite 'there'. Additionally, a number of them are quite moralistic (surprise, surprise) about the method of selection they use, have strong opinions in general about meritocracy and so on. I can't speak for any other department, but I'd be extremely surprised if anyone I know from the philosophy department just let Emma Watson in merely because she was Emma Watson.

Furthermore... I'd point out that this is not the first time in the history of the universe that somewhat famous people have applied to universities. Shock horror I know. But there it is.
    So I'm sure the nice bunch of stuffy philosophy academics at Cambridge can conduct a regular interview process without shuffling their feet and going all giggly.
    Famous people apply for educational and professional positions. They get evaluated and given or not given places. The world doesn't collapse around us as a result. Amazing! It's a mini adventure :rolleyes:

Secondly! Emma, ...how you doin'? Even tho she's starting to look like charlotte church

ReputationRep:
    well, ginnie weasly goes to my school so my life is already complete.

(for those of you who seem to have trouble understanding that was sarcasm)

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calvin)
    Furthermore... I'd point out that this is not the first time in the history of the universe that somewhat famous people have applied to universities. Shock horror I know. But there it is.
    Yeah, Lily Cole already has a place at Cambridge, I'd argue she's more famous (I actually know her name rather than 'that one who played Hermione'). And there are much richer people there already who you could argue are more worthwhile the uni bending its admissions policy for. So it's not much of a big deal. Why the hell she'd want to go to uni when she's made so much money I have no idea, but it's her life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puppy)
    Yeah, Lily Cole already has a place at Cambridge, I'd argue she's more famous (I actually know her name rather than 'that one who played Hermione'). And there are much richer people there already who you could argue are more worthwhile the uni bending its admissions policy for. So it's not much of a big deal. Why the hell she'd want to go to uni when she's made so much money I have no idea, but it's her life.
    I very much doubt it considering the number of people who have seen/heard of Harry Potter movies..and I am guessing if you aret he kidn of person who managed to avoid HP movie advertisements chances are you are not a great fan of fashion models..

Gotta do something to pass up the time I guess..

ReputationRep:
    There exists one particular picture of Lily Cole which gives me nightmares.

But, she did get 3 A's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puppy)
    1. I'd argue she's more famous (I actually know her name rather than 'that one who played Hermione').

2. Why the hell she'd want to go to uni when she's made so much money I have no idea, but it's her life.
    1. And I have every confidence that you'd be wrong, but it's not really something we'll be able to resolve.
    2. I would *definitely* go to Uni if I was very well off. In fact I'd probably just keep studying different things that interest me indefinitely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditting Suck)
    1. And I have every confidence that you'd be wrong, but it's not really something we'll be able to resolve.
    2. I would *definitely* go to Uni if I was very well off. In fact I'd probably just keep studying different things that interest me indefinitely.
    1)Indeed

2) The idea of studying but not having to worry about a job afterwards or even passing your exams is awesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puppy)
    Why the hell she'd want to go to uni when she's made so much money I have no idea, but it's her life.
    :wtf?: !!!??!? :confused: :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I guess the insinuation is that most people go to Uni because its a way onto a career ladder..not just to learn for the hell of it.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I'm not reall that surprised that the person said it was puppy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puppy)
    Lily Cole already has a place at Cambridge.
    She may have a place, but am I right in saying she is not taking it up? I heard that either she's refused the place, or she's decided to defer for another year, which was interpreted as meaning that she's refused the place. That's what The Observer said anyway... Do correct me if I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    I guess the insinuation is that most people go to Uni because its a way onto a career ladder..not just to learn for the hell of it.....
    Uh yes, obviously :rolleyes: ^o)

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.