The fibs your teacher told you in school [golden thread]

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snow Child)
    That Pluto is (was) a planet.
    :cry: I miss Pluto

ReputationRep:
    In Year 7 and 8 my teacher promised every lesson that he would mark all our books and give them back by the next lesson... I usually took him a few months. There's some work from halfway through Year 7 that he didn't give back to people in my class until the end of Year 8 and I never saw the project I stayed up until 1 am doing ever again (((I considered 1 am to be very late at night when I was in Year 8))).
    He also regularly told us he'd give the whole class chocolate if he hadn't marked our books when he promised to. We got chocolate maybe twice(?) even though he promised it a couple of times a month for two years.

ReputationRep:
    You need to do a language at GCSE to get accepted into the best universities. This lie was the reason half my year studied french.

ReputationRep:
    A paper towel solves everything.

Grazed knee? Paper towel!
    Broken arm? Paper towel!
    You've smashed your head open? Paper towel!

Or that story about the boy who swung on his chair and cracked his head open, whenever someone swung on their chair. In year 6 I and my friend had a huge cupboard behind us, so we could rest on it if we swung back, and we still got scolded with the same familiar tale.

ReputationRep:
    putting that you've earned certificates for minuscule things like best behaved student on your personal statement would make you stand out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bissofly)
    You need to do a language at GCSE to get accepted into the best universities. This lie was the reason half my year studied french.
    Omg! This exact thing happened at my highschool. I love French so I chose GCSE French regardless, but I HATED the fact I was surrounded by people that didn't want to be there because they had been forced because of the "English Baccalaureate" recommendations.

ReputationRep:
    playing a game called sleepy lions where we had to sleep quietly on the floor and whoever was the quietest won...welll...the teacher just wanted us quiet for a minute i guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikra.m)
    playing a game called sleepy lions where we had to sleep quietly on the floor and whoever was the quietest won...welll...the teacher just wanted us quiet for a minute i guess
    Hahahahaha I remember that game

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)

Broken arm? Paper towel!
    Those really horrible blue paper towels that didn't do anything :lol:

(Original post by ikra.m)
    That sounds like a fun game tbh :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    Hahahahaha I remember that game
    wish they let us play it in secondary lol so sleep deprieved

ReputationRep:
    The legend of the student, who also incidentally went to your specific school, who used to swing on his chair, fell off it, broke his neck in more than 14 ways, punctured his heart, his lungs came out of his mouth and died.

ReputationRep:
    We used to play heads down thumbs up during Year 6 French (great quality lessons, right?)

Whoever was last to win, before the French teacher had to go, would be told that they'd be 'first' the following week, and she'd even make a note for us! Never happened - but it kept the interest until people realised she only picked her 'favourites'. Every single week.:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    that gravity was a force -_-

ReputationRep:
    Told me maths was going to be a fun subject. Iv'e never felt so betrayed.

ReputationRep:
    That a boy once fell backwards and smashed his head open when swinging on his chair.

And that the caretaker was Santa when he was dressed up around Christmas

ReputationRep:
    We were promised munchies in English in year 7. Then she said that she forgot, then she said that Mr Hale ate them all. I am still owed munchies, I have one year left to receive them, before I prosecute.

ReputationRep:
    Teacher before economics exam: I have never seen the price mechanism come up on it's own as a longer answered exam question so don't revise it very much, just understand how to illustrate it.

Day of the exam: 15 marker exam question on the price mechanism

Teacher after the exam: Well it's only 15 marks, you'll still get an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TehCodingMaster)
    That a boy once fell backwards and smashed his head open when swinging on his chair.
    No, that he died, because he hit his hypothalamus (this was in science) and was paralysed, couldn't breath and consequently died.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    Broken arm? Paper towel!
    Do you work in advertising,
    Spoiler:
    Show
    for paper towels? (it seems to be remarkably accurate to their marketing campaigns)

ReputationRep:
    PE teacher at beginning of lesson: "It's the taking part that counts"
    PE teacher mid-way through a lesson: "Try harder you little s**t"

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.