There is no evidence for God

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LightAtTheEnd)
    Hey, you don't know if a magical bowl of spaghetti started the universe, and since we can't explain ourselves how EXACTLY it happened, lets just go with this.

This is basically what your telling me?
    and neither do you know if two random particles of high temperature, pressure and density from a singularity to form an INFINITE universe?
    so what if we know EXACTLY what happened? what would it change in the life you and i live now?
    will it stop wars from happening? will it stop new diseases from rising, killing millions of people?
    will it stop greedy and stupid politicians (TRUMP) from all the shenanigans they say and what they plan on doing? (hopefully he dosent get the chance)
    God bless you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikaela!)
    So true God is great!
    Amen!

ReputationRep:
    My questions were not rhetorical and i did not say 'God did it' you did. Yes i believe God did regardless but that is not the point i was trying to make.

My point is that science in itself cannot tell me much or tell me anything about the person that i am, or why i'm here, nor where life really came from, and this is what a lot of people put their trust in.

Yes, i believe many things are a process which was why i didn't wake up one morning and think 'i'll believe in this God called Jesus today' it was a process, but i can assure you that my God has all power over science.

But hey : )
    it was lovely speaking to you to! xx
    The person you are would be determined by genetics, epigenetics, environmental factors, psychology, neuroscience, etc. The questions about why you're here depends on the framework of that question, and what assumptions it makes. I don't think you ever had to be here, you just happen to be from circumstance.

Life's origins can be more or less theorised and tested, but to dig back into geological history is near enough impossible because they were single-celled organisms that don't leave much of an evidence-trail like other species.

I don't think there's any particular part that you'd like to know that would ever make religious conviction the better choice, except maybe that it's the most convenient and palatable answer of all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidoriakhi)
    and neither do you know if two random particles of high temperature, pressure and density from a singularity to form an INFINITE universe?
    so what if we know EXACTLY what happened? what would it change in the life you and i live now?
    will it stop wars from happening? will it stop new diseases from rising, killing millions of people?
    will it stop greedy and stupid politicians (TRUMP) from all the shenanigans they say and what they plan on doing? (hopefully he dosent get the chance)
    God bless you.
    Yea but we have evidence to support it. This isn't spiritual evidence or any of that ********. It's observable and empirical evidence. Something which your 'faith' can never provide.
    It's not even 'faith' at this point. You're believing in something that you have NO idea exists. We on the other hand, even tho we may not know do have an idea.
    Let's not talk about wars. Religion (Or God in general) has been a major factor in wars and conquests all the time. Also if your such a saint then why don't you become a politician? I'm sure your God will help you attain success in the field and will gladly help you stop these things

ReputationRep:
    God bless you.
    If we know, then we can stop pursuing a supernatural being and living our own lives properly in the here and now. To focus our efforts on humanitarian issues using the one thing that nature has gifted us - our minds - to develop technologies that can mitigate/alleviate the causes of war.

To understand disease better and making us more resilient against their spread. By not being easily pandered by the politicians you cite, just because they claim to love your God.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a scientist so people may question why I believe in God. I guess I see god as the force behind science. I believe in the big bang and evolution. Maybe God was responsible for these events. I don't take the bible literally so I believe that God is not necessarily a he nor is he necessarily a human figure!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsTheLove??)
    But if this was true, how could we justify a justice system?
    The murderer would be like 'you can't punish me cuz I did the right thing'
    yet the judge would be like 'yeah but I think it is wrong. So there!'

Wouldn't this mean that some peoples opinions matter more than others?
    Which would be unfair... or at least I think it is...
    It obviously depends on the country where that justice system is based and that's why different nations have different morals. That is essentially how our countries already work because we don't have evidence that any of the morals we subscribe to are objective. And we can all see that our moral judgements have changed over time.

ReputationRep:
    My "god"... you've opened up a can of worms with this one.

ReputationRep:
    you don't need to physically detect something before you can know it exists.
    can you see your brain? can you feel it?
    its obvious your brain is there because of the tasks you can perform (your ability to think and perform, your ability to retain memory and regurgitate it when necessary)
    God exists! even the scientists you put ALL your faith in can't answer everything. But God can, yes He can.
    thats life my friend,
    God bless.
    That is very poor example because you CAN see and detect the brain if you want to. You can cut someone's head open and see it. There is no way to see or detect God, it is just blind faith. And there is nothing noble about believing in something for which there is no evidence.

ReputationRep:
    Religion. The belief that your god created the whole universe, then uses 0.004% of it to have a personal relationship with you.
    Also, don't forget the argument of evil or how, if he's omnipotent, he doesn't end suffering and evil in our world. Imagine you had omnipotence (We'll ignore the omnipotence argument here). Write down all the things you'd do. End world hunger, perhaps? Resolve the middle east conflict? Bring peace? End Poverty? Now, ask yourself, why hasn't god done that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2007PSanHa)
    I'm a scientist so people may question why I believe in God. I guess I see god as the force behind science. I believe in the big bang and evolution. Maybe God was responsible for these events. I don't take the bible literally so I believe that God is not necessarily a he nor is he necessarily a human figure!
    You trust some parts of the Bible literally and exactly as they are (existence of a God) but not other parts. We call this cherry picking. You take some things literally and others not so much to alter the Bible in the most ideal way possible for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tetragon213)
    Religion. The belief that your god created the whole universe, then uses 0.004% of it to have a personal relationship with you.
    Also, don't forget the argument of evil or how, if he's omnipotent, he doesn't end suffering and evil in our world. Imagine you had omnipotence (We'll ignore the omnipotence argument here). Write down all the things you'd do. End world hunger, perhaps? Resolve the middle east conflict? Bring peace? End Poverty? Now, ask yourself, why hasn't god done that?
    Dude, life is a test man. We cannot possibly fathom or comprehend the greatness of God. He wouldn't do logical things like that man.

Note: This is me being sarcastic LOL

ReputationRep:
    Sorry?
    Lol i'm not a scientist nor do i need to be one to know that oxygen does not come from nothing. Neither does the vast majority of nature.

Everything comes from something, yes wind and oxygen has properties to prove them to be existent, but where do these properties come from?
    No scientist claims they came from true nothing.

Btw, where did your god come from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rather_Cynical)
    If we know, then we can stop pursuing a supernatural being and living our own lives properly in the here and now. To focus our efforts on humanitarian issues using the one thing that nature has gifted us - our minds - to develop technologies that can mitigate/alleviate the causes of war.

To understand disease better and making us more resilient against their spread. By not being easily pandered by the politicians you cite, just because they claim to love your God.
    well then why wait?
    if you dont believe in him then you develop the technologies and alleviate the causes of war.
    get your PhD in biological sciences and find the cure for all the diseases we have in our world today, and the ones yet to come!
    its a shame that you wont be able to do any of those things...

like i've said earlier, you dont have to believe in God, its your choice,
    God won't force you to believe in him, he will let you live your life EXACTLY the way you want it.
    But its definitely worth pulling someone out from a fire as they walk RIGHT INTO IT.
    God bless you.

ReputationRep:
    There's plenty of evidence of God's existence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)

From 'faith'. Or what I like to call it is brainwashing at a young age and then being coerced to accept what they are taught.

God didn't create us, we created him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)

He is the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end.
    The reason why we have a beginning and an end is because we are DEFINED and LIMITED by time. GOD IS NOT LIMITED BY TIME. HE DEFINED TIME HIMSELF!
    so He didn't come from anywhere, He has always been there, and He will forever be there.
    Its a fact, just deal with it.
    God bless.

ReputationRep:
    The reason why we have a beginning and an end is because we are DEFINED and LIMITED by time. GOD IS NOT LIMITED BY TIME. HE DEFINED TIME HIMSELF!
    so He didn't come from anywhere, He has always been there, and He will forever be there.
    God bless.
    Suspecting you're a troll.

Anyway, the same thing could be said about any "first cause", be it God or something entirely naturalistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electrospective)
    Why is it contradictory? Educate me ^_^
    The commonly used definition of agnosticism in theological discussions was proposed by Huxley, who was neither convinced by arguments for God's existence, nor for His non-existence. Huxley explicitly denied atheism; he didn't "lack belief". Hence agnosticism has always been a stand-alone position in this particular context.

ReputationRep:
    God bless.
    I don't have time for baseless, regurgitated dogma.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.