The Current Year 10 Thread (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    We had an eng exam today too. We get 1hr, 30min today, 30min tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! My name is Stephanie I live in London and school there.
    The GCSEs I am doing are:

Maths
    English
    Triple Science
    French
    History
    Geography
    ICT

Last year I did all of these subjects except for the fact I did Computing instead of ICT, however my school is not doing Computing this year as there are too many students (only 3 girls and lots of boys). I do not know the board of any of my subjects yet, but we have regular exams every half-term or after every new topic learnt. Next year we sit our mocks which I am already worried about.

Overall, my major concern is the amount of workload I have and how I am going to balance everything and be able to revise and actually understand everything. This is proving very difficult at the moment. Tips on how to revise and balance everything will be greatly appreciated!(Especially in the subjects I am doing for GCSE.)

Anyone else really feeling the pressure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stephaniex)
    Hi guys! My name is Stephanie I live in London and school there.
    The GCSEs I am doing are:

Maths
    English
    Triple Science
    French
    History
    Geography
    ICT

Last year I did all of these subjects except for the fact I did Computing instead of ICT, however my school is not doing Computing this year as there are too many students (only 3 girls and lots of boys). I do not know the board of any of my subjects yet, but we have regular exams every half-term or after every new topic learnt. Next year we sit our mocks which I am already worried about.

Overall, my major concern is the amount of workload I have and how I am going to balance everything and be able to revise and actually understand everything. This is proving very difficult at the moment. Tips on how to revise and balance everything will be greatly appreciated!(Especially in the subjects I am doing for GCSE.)

Anyone else really feeling the pressure?
    For French, I revise by using menrise. You find your course and on it there are all the words that may appear on your reading and listening exam

For History, I revise all the topics I did last year (I'm sitting exams this year) by doing a giant poster in one colour and then add anything I missed in another

For Maths, I do a GCSE paper every month and any topic which we covered that I got wrong, I review.

For Triple Science, I use the cpg textbooks and bitesize.

For Geography, Flicking back through my book and making flash cards with key words is what I do.

For English, rereading texts that we learnt will sort of keep my memory fresh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sardonic Zarah)
    For French, I revise by using menrise. You find your course and on it there are all the words that may appear on your reading and writing exam

For History, I revise all the topics I did last year (I'm sitting exams this year) by doing a giant poster in one colour and then add anything I missed in another

For Maths, I do a GCSE paper every month and any topic which we covered that I got wrong, I review.

For Geography, Flicking back through my book and making flash cards with key words is what I do.

I don't take French (I do Spanish and Welsh instead) but I agree that memrise is a good app. However, I prefer duolingo. It teachers different vocabulary and sentence patterns but in a game type of form. There is also a feature where you can have proper conversations 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For French, I revise by using menrise. You find your course and on it there are all the words that may appear on your reading and writing exam

Oh my goodness these techniques are really helpful and I am definitely going to start using these revision techniques.
    Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexemmamay3101)
    I don't take French (I do Spanish and Welsh instead) but I agree that memrise is a good app. However, I prefer duolingo. It teachers different vocabulary and sentence patterns but in a game type of form. There is also a feature where you can have proper conversations 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Doesn't duoligo sometimes form really weird sentences 😂

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't duoligo sometimes form really weird sentences 😂
    Sometimes but you get used to it 😂😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What's everyone doing in maths?
    I'm currently doing trig and surds

ReputationRep:
    Woah, I haven't been on this thread in a while. I'm doing surds in maths at the moment. I'm finding them pretty easy, lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MartynaJP6)
    Woah, I haven't been on this thread in a while. I'm doing surds in maths at the moment. I'm finding them pretty easy, lol
    Do you have sets in maths, I know some schools don't and that seems awful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bengaltiger_)
    We had an eng exam today too. We get 1hr, 30min today, 30min tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ohh good luck was it about inspector calls ?

ReputationRep:
    we did but now we have finished and doing simultaneous equation everything in maths is easy for me because i have a tutor XD

ReputationRep:
    Yup and I have just started area in shapes and volume I'm in top set btw and its proving very difficult, of course I have done area and volume before but this is a level work we have started now. Sardonic Zarah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stephaniex)
    Yup and I have just started area in shapes and volume I'm in top set btw and its proving very difficult, of course I have done area and volume before but this is a level work we have started now. Sardonic Zarah
    I think I can only deal with number topics in maths, shapes, graphs etc are just so much effort. Are you with AQA

ReputationRep:
    Getting so stressed right now because of my anxiety, I have my unit one English language in November and my unit one English lit in Jan. Advice?

On another note anyone else had lots of test lately? The only results I have had back so far are:
    Spanish: A
    Chemistry: A
    Biology: A*
    I'm getting two maths tests and a physics back next week and feel like I've done terrible
    How's everyone else doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexemmamay3101)
    Getting so stressed right now because of my anxiety, I have my unit one English language in November and my unit one English lit in Jan. Advice?

On another note anyone else had lots of test lately? The only results I have had back so far are:
    Spanish: A
    Chemistry: A
    Biology: A*
    I'm getting two maths tests and a physics back next week and feel like I've done terrible
    How's everyone else doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For your exams, just give 100%, that's all anyone can ask of you. Based on your other results, I bet you'll smash your English exams

ReputationRep:
    Do you have sets in maths, I know some schools don't and that seems awful
    We do, we only have sets in maths though. Im in set 1

ReputationRep:
    We have sets but only for maths but it has a big affect as your maths class determines your English and science classes. I'm in the top set

ReputationRep:
    My school has sets for maths and I guess you could say science is set as only the top two sets from year 9 could do triple. English isn't set and I think that that is the worst thing to ever happen. People predicted to get 4s in a class with people aiming for 9s is just not a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    We do, we only have sets in maths though. Im in set 1
    We have sets in maths English and science. However triple science was an option this year and lots of people chose it as it was the 'only OK thing in the column' so I'm in class full of people who hate science and some are predicted Ds (not that that's bad I just think they shouldn't be in triple!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.