The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck on the question 'How do you think a career in law will affect your lifestyle?' for the Simmons and Simmons form. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssh12bl)
    I'm stuck on the question 'How do you think a career in law will affect your lifestyle?' for the Simmons and Simmons form. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    I'm also stuck on that question. Its actually 1 part of the whole question and we have 250 words. I spoke to someone who did a summer vac scheme and she said that she ignored that part and focussed on why simmons and law and got through to next stage!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssh12bl)

Thanks!
    (Original post by giggy12s)
    I'm also stuck on that question. Its actually 1 part of the whole question and we have 250 words. I spoke to someone who did a summer vac scheme and she said that she ignored that part and focussed on why simmons and law and got through to next stage!
    Sounds like it has to do with the long hours and whether you can fit that into your personal lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Do you guys know which are the firms that have a stringent academic requirement (i.e. rejects low overall 2:1 grade/few 2:2s with an average 2:1 overall grade) based on your experiences?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vacschemer2017)
    Hi guys,

Do you guys know which are the firms that have a stringent academic requirement (i.e. rejects low overall 2:1 grade/few 2:2s with an average 2:1 overall grade) based on your experiences?
    Slaughter and May, White and Case, Sidley, Ashurst, Magic Circle, Sullivan and Cromwell, Skadden (most US firms). The first 4 specifically ask for a high 2.1, whilst the others don't but tend to only recruit people with very strong academics. Of course, you could be the exception though.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys if I got a first in my degree but pretty average GCSE results which law firms should I be targeting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vacsheme2017)
    Hi guys if I got a first in my degree but pretty average GCSE results which law firms should I be targeting?
    I doubt any firms really care about GCSEs. At best they will care about your Maths and English grades, but even then they will look far more closely at your A-levels (or equivalent) and even more so your module results from your degree.

Lots of firms don't even ask you to disclose your GCSE marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Alright, thanks for sharing

(Original post by aspriringlawyer)
    Slaughter and May, White and Case, Sidley, Ashurst, Magic Circle, Sullivan and Cromwell, Skadden (most US firms). The first 4 specifically ask for a high 2.1, whilst the others don't but tend to only recruit people with very strong academics. Of course, you could be the exception though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vacschemer2017)
    Hi guys,

Magic circle, Silver circle and US firms won't take anyone without at least 65% overall and 2.1 in almost all modules! AAA-AAB in A levels also required.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone applied for Jones day's summer vac scheme and heard back?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katherine.l1995)
    Magic circle, Silver circle and US firms won't take anyone without at least 65% overall and 2.1 in almost all modules! AAA-AAB in A levels also required.
    Do these requirements apply across all years of study( i.e. Including first year)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not true.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grisham)
    Do these requirements apply across all years of study( i.e. Including first year)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It isn't true, not of all the firms within the category anyway, and probably for the majority of them.

Myths like this have really got to stop being perpetuated by people who just assume these things based on a few people's experiences and assumptions as to why they have been unsuccessful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got an idea what the 'online assessment form' (after the application form) for Squire PB is?

ReputationRep:
    RPC app almost ready to go, just waiting on a response from my personal tutor as to whether i can use the details for academic reference and just got to add some open days onto the work experience sections. filled in all the competency and commercial questions. was at a Targetjobs event at the firm back in january, great office.

ReputationRep:
    As J-SP said, this is not true. I graduated with a low 2.1 from a London uni, and consistently scraped 2.1s across my degree. I did vac schemes at magic circle, silver circle and US firms.. I have friends with TCs at US shops and MCs firms, who were rounded up to their 2.1s/or just scraped it.

Grades are important, but you definitely do not need a 65% average. I was in converstation with Grad Rec at one MC shop, who said 62% was roughly the minimum. Consistently is probably more important, better to score 62% in all modules than 64% (but with a mixture of 2.2s and 2.1s. If you have good work experience and extra curricular, some firms will look beyond your academics. Having said that, your life will be a lot easier if you have good marks, more and more firms are looking for a good/high 2.1

If your grades are lower than expected, you need to make more effort with regards to making a good impression. For example, if you've been to an open day/first year scheme and impressed, you'd be surprised at how much leeway this gives you.

(obviously, this does not apply to firms that explicitly ask for a high 2.1)

ReputationRep:
    anyone done the verbal analysis aptitude test for BLP yet?

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know the next stage of assessment for CC after the online Watson Glaser?
    Had an e-mail confirming I am being moved on to the next stage but read different experiences online.

ReputationRep:
    Yes - relatively simple in comparison to the Watson Glaser.
    (Original post by hotliketea)
    anyone done the verbal analysis aptitude test for BLP yet?

ReputationRep:
    Is there any way that I can explain that in my applications that a C in one of my A-Levels was one mark off a B, and that this subject was largely self-taught due to a teacher regularly taking leave to assist his ill wife?

I want firms to know about this but I really don't think this qualifies as a mitigating circumstance (correct me if I'm wrong)

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.