Declaring Grades on UCAS FAQ

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    So you sat the exams and failed them: you have to declare the results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No. Thats not even an option on UCAS. I currently have my previous uni on my application and chose the option that i didnt receive any qualifications. Therefore I cannot declare any exams or results I received.

Again, if you dont know the answer, theres no need to give misinformed advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arcenciel21)
    No. Thats not even an option on UCAS. I currently have my previous uni on my application and chose the option that i didnt receive any qualifications. Therefore I cannot declare any exams or results I received.

Again, if you dont know the answer, theres no need to give misinformed advice.
    The qualification you sat was a CertHE, but what you obtained was a fail, or however they phrased it on your results sheet.

If you are waiting for someone to tell you officially that shouldn't declare it you'll be a long time waiting.

Read the OP to this thread.

You just want to hear what suits you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The qualification you received was a fail, or however they phrased it on your results sheet.

If you are waiting for someone to tell you officially that shouldn't declare it you'll be a long time waiting.

Read the OP to this thread.

You just want to hear what suits you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A results sheet is not a qualification. As I said, since I didnt receive a qualification, there isnt even an option to add that I failed exams or any results.

UCAS opens on Tuesday so it wont be a long time waiting, thanks. You havent contributed anything to the thread nor supporing evidence to back up what you said, in fact you gave misled advice that literally cannot even be put on UCAS. I dont want to hear 'what suits me', I want to hear what the actual rules are, which is why I made the thread. I didnt make it so that you can give your personal opinions. Since you dont know the answer for sure, you dont have to post in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    The qualification you sat was a CertHE, but what you obtained was a fail, or however they phrased it on your results sheet.
    I didnt 'sit' a CertHE, i was doing a degree. you dont sit a 'CertHe' .That would only apply if I had passed enough credits to actually get a certificate of higher education - then my failed modules would be on the certificate as well as the ones I have passed. However i dont have a certificate.

ReputationRep:
    A results sheet is not a qualification. As I said, since I didnt receive a qualification, there isnt even an option to add that I failed exams or any results.

UCAS opens on Tuesday so it wont be a long time waiting, thanks. You havent contributed anything to the thread nor supporing evidence to back up what you said, in fact you gave misled advice that literally cannot even be put on UCAS. I dont want to hear 'what suits me', I want to hear what the actual rules are, which is why I made the thread. I didnt make it so that you can give your personal opinions. Since you dont know the answer for sure, you dont have to post in this thread.
    Do you think the new university you want to apply to would want to know your most recent academic performance? Do you think that might just be relevant information for them?

Do you think that withholding that information could be misleading?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didnt 'sit' a CertHE, i was doing a degree. you dont sit a 'CertHe' .That would only apply if I had passed enough credits to actually get a certificate of higher education - then my failed modules would be on the certificate as well as the ones I have passed. However i dont have a certificate.
    Ok fine put the degree, and state your results. Same difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you think the new university you want to apply to would want to know your most recent academic performance? Do you think that might just be relevant information for them?

Do you think that withholding that information could be misleading?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know. Which is why I am asking whether someone knows for sure. Not what you think the answer is, but the actual regulations and rules.

ReputationRep:
    Ok fine put the degree, and state your results. Same difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That would be false information, since I would be lying about having a qualification which I do not have. You can go now.

ReputationRep:
    That would be false information, since I would be lying about having a qualification which I do not have. You can go now.
    PQ's post here answers your situation:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8#post40298338

The bit "Alternatively you can go to O and select "Other (UK Qualifications)" Enter Yr 1 of course X and then add in individual modules." applies to you.

And in the meantime you can answer my question to you about misleading by omission.

ReputationRep:
    PQ's post here answers your situation:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8#post40298338

The bit "Alternatively you can go to O and select "Other (UK Qualifications)" Enter Yr 1 of course X and then add in individual modules." applies to you.

And in the meantime you can answer my question to you about misleading by omission.
    No, when you add in a uni in the Education section, it asks whether you have received any qualifications at that instutite. I said I didnt, which is the correct way to fill out the form. However I am trying to find out whether I actually have to do that or if its OK if I dont.

Leaving off a failed year might not be lying by mission, if I had actually received a certificate and didnt include it, that would obviously be lying by omission. I dont care what you think is lying by omission, I care about the actual UCAS regulations. I dont know why that is so hard to understand. I will not be replying to you any further and i will put you on my ignore list if you keep popping up on my notifications.

ReputationRep:
    No, when you add in a uni in the Education section, it asks whether you have received any qualifications at that instutite. I said I didnt, which is the correct way to fill out the form. However I am trying to find out whether I actually have to do that or if its OK if I dont.

Leaving off a failed year might not be lying by mission, if I had actually received a certificate and didnt include it, that would obviously be lying by omission. I dont care what you think is lying by omission, I care about the actual UCAS regulations. I dont know why that is so hard to understand. I will not be replying to you any further and i will put you on my ignore list if you keep popping up on my notifications.
    :popout:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.educationuk.org/global/ar...p_3:_Education

'In the education section of your application form, enter your full education history right up to your current school, college or university (if applicable)'

Qualifications or no qualifications is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    And for the benefit of anyone else considering this scenario here is PQ's definitive post in another thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7&postcount=20

:banana:

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to include:
    - ABRSM Music grades
    - TRINITY Music/drama grades
    - testing from other education systems, like if i take US SAT or ACT do I have to put that on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ♥Samantha♥)
    Do you have to include:
    - ABRSM Music grades
    - TRINITY Music/drama grades
    - testing from other education systems, like if i take US SAT or ACT do I have to put that on?
    Yep

Although if it isn't relevant for the course you're applying to they aren't likely to take it into account (or care if the grades aren't good)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Yep

Although if it isn't relevant for the course you're applying to they aren't likely to take it into account (or care if the grades aren't good)
    ok what if haven't taken it but i intend to take it? and how would they realistically be able to know if you left something like that out.

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying in singapore, in an arts collage we use a credit system (4.0 being the highest). How do I convert that into tariff or UCAS points??
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ♥Samantha♥)
    ok what if haven't taken it but i intend to take it? and how would they realistically be able to know if you left something like that out.
    Then you list it as a pending qualification.

If you're a uk student then all qualifications will be linked to your national pupil database record which will be cross referenced with your university record on enrolment.

Listing all your qualifications isn't going to harm your application. Getting caught gaining admission with a fraudulent application can get you chucked off your degree course.

It's just not worth the risk. Universities aren't looking to catch applicants out - they're looking for applicants with the potential to excel on their courses. If you withhold information they can't make a good assessment of your potential.

ReputationRep:
    My AS grades won't get certified at all. So I'm wondering if my teacher could write in my grade on the reference instead of declaring it as I only took one AS subject.

And if I retook a module, how do I go about declaring the resit? The website says to just keep my A2 as pending and that's it but I'm pretty sure there's a way to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentsixth)
    My AS grades won't get certified at all. So I'm wondering if my teacher could write in my grade on the reference instead of declaring it as I only took one AS subject.

And if I retook a module, how do I go about declaring the resit? The website says to just keep my A2 as pending and that's it but I'm pretty sure there's a way to do it.
    Where school policy is not to certificate AS universities ask referees to explain what predicted grades are based on. If yours are based onAS then your referee can list them in your reference.

For your pending A levels you can show resits by listing modules:

Eg A level basket weaving - pending
    Composed of:
    AS module 1: grade you achieved
    AS module 2: grade you achieved
    AS module 3: pending grade from resit
    A2 module 1-3: pending grade.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.