The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arcenciel21
No. Thats not even an option on UCAS. I currently have my previous uni on my application and chose the option that i didnt receive any qualifications. Therefore I cannot declare any exams or results I received.

Again, if you dont know the answer, theres no need to give misinformed advice.

The qualification you sat was a CertHE, but what you obtained was a fail, or however they phrased it on your results sheet.

If you are waiting for someone to tell you officially that shouldn't declare it you'll be a long time waiting.

Read the OP to this thread.

You just want to hear what suits you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
The qualification you received was a fail, or however they phrased it on your results sheet.

If you are waiting for someone to tell you officially that shouldn't declare it you'll be a long time waiting.

Read the OP to this thread.

You just want to hear what suits you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A results sheet is not a qualification. As I said, since I didnt receive a qualification, there isnt even an option to add that I failed exams or any results.

UCAS opens on Tuesday so it wont be a long time waiting, thanks. You havent contributed anything to the thread nor supporing evidence to back up what you said, in fact you gave misled advice that literally cannot even be put on UCAS. I dont want to hear 'what suits me', I want to hear what the actual rules are, which is why I made the thread. I didnt make it so that you can give your personal opinions. Since you dont know the answer for sure, you dont have to post in this thread. :smile:
Original post by jneill
The qualification you sat was a CertHE, but what you obtained was a fail, or however they phrased it on your results sheet.

I didnt 'sit' a CertHE, i was doing a degree. you dont sit a 'CertHe' .That would only apply if I had passed enough credits to actually get a certificate of higher education - then my failed modules would be on the certificate as well as the ones I have passed. However i dont have a certificate.
A results sheet is not a qualification. As I said, since I didnt receive a qualification, there isnt even an option to add that I failed exams or any results.

UCAS opens on Tuesday so it wont be a long time waiting, thanks. You havent contributed anything to the thread nor supporing evidence to back up what you said, in fact you gave misled advice that literally cannot even be put on UCAS. I dont want to hear 'what suits me', I want to hear what the actual rules are, which is why I made the thread. I didnt make it so that you can give your personal opinions. Since you dont know the answer for sure, you dont have to post in this thread. :smile:

Do you think the new university you want to apply to would want to know your most recent academic performance? Do you think that might just be relevant information for them?

Do you think that withholding that information could be misleading?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didnt 'sit' a CertHE, i was doing a degree. you dont sit a 'CertHe' .That would only apply if I had passed enough credits to actually get a certificate of higher education - then my failed modules would be on the certificate as well as the ones I have passed. However i dont have a certificate.

Ok fine put the degree, and state your results. Same difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Do you think the new university you want to apply to would want to know your most recent academic performance? Do you think that might just be relevant information for them?

Do you think that withholding that information could be misleading?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know. Which is why I am asking whether someone knows for sure. Not what you think the answer is, but the actual regulations and rules. :smile:
Original post by jneill
Ok fine put the degree, and state your results. Same difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would be false information, since I would be lying about having a qualification which I do not have. You can go now.
That would be false information, since I would be lying about having a qualification which I do not have. You can go now.

@PQ's post here answers your situation:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2177589&p=40298338#post40298338

The bit "Alternatively you can go to O and select "Other (UK Qualifications)" Enter Yr 1 of course X and then add in individual modules." applies to you.

And in the meantime you can answer my question to you about misleading by omission.
Original post by jneill
@PQ's post here answers your situation:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2177589&p=40298338#post40298338

The bit "Alternatively you can go to O and select "Other (UK Qualifications)" Enter Yr 1 of course X and then add in individual modules." applies to you.

And in the meantime you can answer my question to you about misleading by omission.

No, when you add in a uni in the Education section, it asks whether you have received any qualifications at that instutite. I said I didnt, which is the correct way to fill out the form. However I am trying to find out whether I actually have to do that or if its OK if I dont.

Leaving off a failed year might not be lying by mission, if I had actually received a certificate and didnt include it, that would obviously be lying by omission. I dont care what you think is lying by omission, I care about the actual UCAS regulations. I dont know why that is so hard to understand. I will not be replying to you any further and i will put you on my ignore list if you keep popping up on my notifications.
No, when you add in a uni in the Education section, it asks whether you have received any qualifications at that instutite. I said I didnt, which is the correct way to fill out the form. However I am trying to find out whether I actually have to do that or if its OK if I dont.

Leaving off a failed year might not be lying by mission, if I had actually received a certificate and didnt include it, that would obviously be lying by omission. I dont care what you think is lying by omission, I care about the actual UCAS regulations. I dont know why that is so hard to understand. I will not be replying to you any further and i will put you on my ignore list if you keep popping up on my notifications.

:popout:
http://www.educationuk.org/global/articles/your-ucas-application-essential-advice/#_Step_3:_Education

'In the education section of your application form, enter your full education history right up to your current school, college or university (if applicable)'

Qualifications or no qualifications is irrelevant.
And for the benefit of anyone else considering this scenario here is @PQ's definitive post in another thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=64514887&postcount=20

:banana:
Do you have to include:
- ABRSM Music grades
- TRINITY Music/drama grades
- testing from other education systems, like if i take US SAT or ACT do I have to put that on?
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
Do you have to include:
- ABRSM Music grades
- TRINITY Music/drama grades
- testing from other education systems, like if i take US SAT or ACT do I have to put that on?

Yep

Although if it isn't relevant for the course you're applying to they aren't likely to take it into account (or care if the grades aren't good)
Original post by PQ
Yep

Although if it isn't relevant for the course you're applying to they aren't likely to take it into account (or care if the grades aren't good)

ok what if haven't taken it but i intend to take it? and how would they realistically be able to know if you left something like that out.
I'm studying in singapore, in an arts collage we use a credit system (4.0 being the highest). How do I convert that into tariff or UCAS points??
Thanks!
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
ok what if haven't taken it but i intend to take it? and how would they realistically be able to know if you left something like that out.

Then you list it as a pending qualification.

If you're a uk student then all qualifications will be linked to your national pupil database record which will be cross referenced with your university record on enrolment.

Listing all your qualifications isn't going to harm your application. Getting caught gaining admission with a fraudulent application can get you chucked off your degree course.

It's just not worth the risk. Universities aren't looking to catch applicants out - they're looking for applicants with the potential to excel on their courses. If you withhold information they can't make a good assessment of your potential.
My AS grades won't get certified at all. So I'm wondering if my teacher could write in my grade on the reference instead of declaring it as I only took one AS subject.

And if I retook a module, how do I go about declaring the resit? The website says to just keep my A2 as pending and that's it but I'm pretty sure there's a way to do it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by studentsixth
My AS grades won't get certified at all. So I'm wondering if my teacher could write in my grade on the reference instead of declaring it as I only took one AS subject.

And if I retook a module, how do I go about declaring the resit? The website says to just keep my A2 as pending and that's it but I'm pretty sure there's a way to do it.

Where school policy is not to certificate AS universities ask referees to explain what predicted grades are based on. If yours are based onAS then your referee can list them in your reference.

For your pending A levels you can show resits by listing modules:

Eg A level basket weaving - pending
Composed of:
AS module 1: grade you achieved
AS module 2: grade you achieved
AS module 3: pending grade from resit
A2 module 1-3: pending grade.
Original post by Heisenberg97
I have a problem. My school is one of the (very) few that doesn't certificate AS Levels unless you drop them, so how do I go on about declaring the 2 units i'm retaking? So for the only way I think I can do this is by leaving the modules as pending on my A level grades.

My school also doesn't certificate and on top of this they do not allow any more than 3 subjects at A2, and they have changed the a levels to a "mixed economy", which means that I only sat 1 AS and that was maths. Unfortunately Got my grades yesterday and I got a B, but I had been predicted an A. My plan had been just to state my A grade in my personal statement but once now I can't.

I am applying for law which is already very competitive and my first choice is Oxford. I am worried that they will look down on my silence about my AS, as well as the fact that I can only do 3 subjects. I was taking maths chem history and English. Now I am dropping chem ( most likely) because I had an awful year and learnt almost nothing from a new teacher ( who has now been fired thankfully after only one year). If I had felt more confident about Chem. I would have kept it without hesitating ( bc it used to be my best subject) in order to raise my academic status to compensate. However it was just unbearable and I lost a lot of confidence because it feels awful to do badly in your best areas.

Luckily I have 12 A* at GCSE to lean on, so I hope it is clear that AS maths was a bit of a fluke for me if they ever ask specifically. I am feeling really low about this, and I'm worried it might also affect my predicted grades too. I'm feeling totally lost right now, and I've just had a terrible year, and I so desperately want to go to Oxford in October 2017 and start a fresh journey without the baggage of regrets, retakes or post-application. Does anyone have any advice at all??

Should I keep chem as well as retake? Thanks xx
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending