Turn on thread page Beta

"World Class" footballers in the Premiership watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Like I said, im yet to see it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronaldo VII)
    Like I said, im yet to see it.
    How often do you watch him apart from 2 games against United a season?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontBuyTheSun)
    How often do you watch him apart from 2 games against United a season?
    If there is premiership football on TV I'll watch it. I dont specifically watch Finnan on player cam for 90 minutes but haven't exactly noticed him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lfc4life)
    Finnan got 8 assists for us last season, second behind pennant. You think all 8 of them are from his own half then? :p:
    Very good point, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Neville is a fantastic attacker, you know one that actually crosses the half way line? His crosses are Beckham-esque and have provided us with many goals over the years.
    He can't even take on a player

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    He can't even take on a player
    Why would he need to when he can cross around them and have Ronaldo in front of him? lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lfc4life)
    Finnan got 8 assists for us last season, second behind pennant. You think all 8 of them are from his own half then? :p:
    *Cough* Long ball game *cough*

Hehe couldn't resist :p:

ReputationRep:
    I have read this thread through, and I must say it was worth my time. Comedy Gold.

The label World-Class seems to me to be the Sky generations buzzword for self gratification. The 'debate' has evidently been 'raging' but what has come out of it. I think by taking a back seat, for meit has enforced the notion that World Class is not quantifiable. Do some of you masturbate to the thought of how many world class players you have in your ranks?

The Liverpool team last night
    Reina
    Arbeloa
    Hyypia
    Agger
    Riise
    Benayoon
    Mascherano
    Sissoko
    Leto
    Crouch and
    Kuyt

and the result 4-0.
    Chances are that none of those players will get near the PFA player of the year award, if any liverpool player does, its almost guaranteed to be Gerrard or Torres. The thing for me is, that i feel our team is destined for great things.

Ronaldo VII may have scoffed when we signed Benayoon, after all he's no Nani, no Ronaldo, but christ, he did some job yesterday. At the match yesterday i paid particular attention to Alvaro Arbeloa. He's not a glitzy player but looks an absolutley superb signing for 2.5 million. Gave the ball away twice in the whole game and linked up superbly with Benayoon. The purpose to this story is simple; World Class players are not the be all and end all of football. This 'debate' is futile. Even if we don't have the greatest central midfield in the world (which i believe us to have) i couldn't be happier with it. I couldn't be happier with our team at the moment, bar Riise. Jamie Carragher may not be the most graceful defender in the world but i'm yet to see anyone as effective. I enjoy watching Xabi Alonso, and Javier Mascherano just play. The sort of intelligence they play with and their reading of the game is worth the admission fee alone, as for Torres - the boy is a class act, his movement is incredible. I'd pick Voronin along side him currently - who would never be considered by any Internet critiques as world class, but could prove to be the most astute signing of the season.

Just my view!

ReputationRep:
    You played Toulouse at home, hardly Milan. I'd be surprised if Benayoun is anything more than a bench warmer, his quality suited West Ham.

ReputationRep:
    You played Toulouse at home, hardly Milan. I'd be surprised if Benayoun is anything more than a bench warmer, his quality suited West Ham.
    Hardly a first choice XI either, however we tore them apart and played quality football. Thats what i'm really excited about and if these 'Benchwarmer' bit part players can continue to perform as they did last night, we are in for an outstanding season.For me we look lightyears ahead of last years team, and i think ill enjoy that rather than call other teams for their world class or lack of worldclass players theirin. Its fine though mate, you can carry on missing the point!

ReputationRep:
    I have to say i was impressed with benayoun last night (even if it was against lower abilty opposition) but do you think he will get a run in the first team premiership side ahead of Pennant? is he suited to Liverpools game or should he have accepted the pay rise and stayed at Upton Park?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shady05)
    I have to say i was impressed with benayoun last night (even if it was against lower abilty opposition) but do you think he will get a run in the first team premiership side ahead of Pennant? is he suited to Liverpools game or should he have accepted the pay rise and stayed at Upton Park?
    I'm not sure, but that for me is exciting. Pennant has produced the goods recently, infact since the turn of the year he has been quite excellent. Benayoun too will have an opportunity to make a name for himself, as will Babel. If the players can slot as seamlessly into their roles as they have for the past few weeks - exemplified by Sissoko's last few matches, Arbeloa's performances on either wing, and each striker having got off the mark. This is the beauty of rotation, when its coupled with the sort of belief we look to have at the moment. It worked for United last year who rotated pretty regularly

ReputationRep:
    Which United is that? We played our strongest 11 at every opportunity unless injuries/fitness got in the way.

ReputationRep:
    That same poor squad depth won us the title last season, what did yours win last year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izaldo)
    Hardly a first choice XI either, however we tore them apart and played quality football. Thats what i'm really excited about and if these 'Benchwarmer' bit part players can continue to perform as they did last night, we are in for an outstanding season.For me we look lightyears ahead of last years team, and i think ill enjoy that rather than call other teams for their world class or lack of worldclass players theirin. Its fine though mate, you can carry on missing the point!
    Totally agree with your outlook on the whole thing, but you have to admitt debating World Class makes for a delightful bit of banter :p:

I think Liverpool have looked much sharper and much better all round than we did last season ;yes; I hope this is the season that Rafa's rotation policy pays dividens in the Premiership

ReputationRep:
    Which United is that? We played our strongest 11 at every opportunity unless injuries/fitness got in the way.
    fergie made the same number of team changes as benitez last season...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewy!)
    fergie made the same number of team changes as benitez last season...
    Benitez changed his team for every match, we picked the same 11 (vds, nev, rio, vid, evra, ron, carrick, scholes, giggs, rooney, saha) whenever they were fit.

ReputationRep:
    read this biatch :p: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/archi...70808-1304.htm

ReputationRep:
    Daniel Agger is world class ;smartass;

hehehe

ReputationRep:
    still waiting for spurs amazing strike force to kick in

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 19, 2007
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.