Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A very even handed assessment Carly; can't say any more on the matter myself.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe thanks Rich!

Players have the right to feel tired as well. They're not robots.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is Econ is that not everyone feels a strong patriotic pride and a duty to represent their country. For some, especially those in the North West, its very much Club over Country and they actually couldnt give a crap about the national team.

And who can blame them, after the way Crouch and Heskey have been treated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarlyStarlet)
    Hehe thanks Rich!

Players have the right to feel tired as well. They're not robots.
    Precisely. Just human.

Now for Bentley to score on Wednesday. xD

ReputationRep:
    It seemed to me at the time that fatigue was just an excuse and Bentley considered himself above U21 level as he thought he should have been in the full England squad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronaldo VII)
    It seemed to me at the time that fatigue was just an excuse and Bentley considered himself above U21 level as he thought he should have been in the full England squad.
    I don't remember too much about the whole saga, but what did he say/do to give that impression.. ?

ReputationRep:
    There is no right or wrong answer Economist. Although many feel that the biggest honour a footballer can have is the chance to play for his country, first and foremost a player is owned by his club, therefore should remain loyal to his club. Not saying that he shouldn't stay loyal to country, but if he regards club football > U21 championships then that's his choice and he shouldn't be villified for it.

Bentley knew what an honour it would be to represent his country (even if it was at U21 level) but if he chose to opt out then a big fuss should not be made of it in any case. It's all down to choice, and the players should not be expected to be puppets; they should have a say in the matter.
    You can remain loyal to both your country and your club. He blamed fatigue but all the top players play a full season and a summer championship every 2 years.

It is his choice, but I dont think it was acceptable and whilst booing might be a bit harsh I think there's good reason for fans to feel hostile towards him

ReputationRep:
    Seconded. What did he say Ronaldo?

Economist: What DontBuyTheSun said. He hit the nail on the head completely. Players are completely mistreated by their national teams - politics decide team selection, not merit. Aside from Heskey I have more examples i.e RvN.

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember what was said but IMO once he had been included in the senior squads and played in the England B team it seemed he thought he had made it.

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember what was said but IMO once he had been included in the senior squads and played in the England B team it seemed he thought he had made it.
    In that case it's unfair that he's being booed now. It's all the opinions and assumations of a few thousand people such as yourself, and no cold hard evidence to support it.

But who wants evidence? People just want someone they can hate for no particular reason.

ReputationRep:
    Economist: What DontBuyTheSun said. He hit the nail on the head completely. Players are completely mistreated by their national teams - politics decide team selection, not merit. Aside from Heskey I have more examples i.e RvN.
    Well there's very good reason for Bentley to be treated in this fashion.

If someone doesnt want to represent England, it's a shame but dont pull out of the under 21s whilst it's clear you really want to represent England

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    He blamed fatigue but all the top players play a full season and a summer championship every 2 years.
    But every player is different.

ReputationRep:
    The lad did have a reputation at Arsenal for being a bit full of himself, and some undisclosed problems which apparently were later corrected upon his transfer to Blackburn.

Regardless, he's an adult who makes his own decisions, and naturally also reaps their consequences. The guys who boo him do the same, though despite any personal dislike of a player booing at an England match seems way too much for me. The club divides should not affect the national squad - we are England. Sure, I have problems with certain personalities, but more so I want to see us win a World Cup one day - and that is only possible with teamwork, adult responsibility, and an ejection of pettiness which will lead to not merely failure, but dismal failure at that.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, it's hard to tell these things without much evidence or proof.

I'm sure fans who boo him will get bored soon and start slating Heskey again for being fat but playing well. Oh wait, they already are. Hehe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Well there's very good reason for Bentley to be treated in this fashion.

If someone doesnt want to represent England, it's a shame but dont pull out of the under 21s whilst it's clear you really want to represent England
    This will probably go round and round in circles but Bentley pulled out because he was tired and probably felt he wouldn't have been able to contribute to the team as well. That's what we've been told, that's what we should believe. Nothing except suggestions from people suggest otherwise. He's not said he was better than the U21s, so why people would want to pretend that he thinks that he is without being certified psychics is beyond me. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I thought the game against Israel was the PERFECT game ... Up until Bentley came on and fans started booing. What a shame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    The lad did have a reputation at Arsenal for being a bit full of himself, and some undisclosed problems which apparently were later corrected upon his transfer to Blackburn.

Regardless, he's an adult who makes his own decisions, and naturally also reaps their consequences. The guys who boo him do the same, though despite any personal dislike of a player booing at an England match seems way too much for me. The club divides should not affect the national squad - we are England. Sure, I have problems with certain personalities, but more so I want to see us win a World Cup one day - and that is only possible with teamwork, adult responsibility, and an ejection of pettiness which will lead to not merely failure, but dismal failure at that.
    Well said. :tsr2:

Yeah Farhan it kinda soured the situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flash6289)
    I silly as it sounds, I am worried about Russia, lol..
    russia have the quality to take all 3 points at wembley...they won against macedonia but they were made to work hard for a 3-0 win and could have drawn if the penalty was converted....

russia generally go with a 3-5-2 formation but i won't be suprised if hiddink drops that for a back four in order to quell the threat from the wings...through the middle of the park the russian team is strong and will make enalngd work very hard...the main asset the team has in terms of attack is pace, they break with great speed down the wings...hiddink has kept the philosophy of attacking from the outset but i think he may choose not to do this against england as it is an important match...russia are missing star keeper akinfeev and my guess is that malafeev will be given the nod as gabulov was sent off in saturday's game...the russian attack is pacy but the strikers bar pavlyuchenko are far from clinical...

i think russia will take the 3 points, at least i hope they do....

ReputationRep:
    This will probably go round and round in circles but Bentley pulled out because he was tired and probably felt he wouldn't have been able to contribute to the team as well. That's what we've been told, that's what we should believe. Nothing except suggestions from people suggest otherwise. He's not said he was better than the U21s, so why people would want to pretend that he thinks that he is without being certified psychics is beyond me. :p:
    That's not his decision to make

ReputationRep:
    In that case it's unfair that he's being booed now. It's all the opinions and assumations of a few thousand people such as yourself, and no cold hard evidence to support it.

But who wants evidence? People just want someone they can hate for no particular reason.
    Well there wont be evidence as he didn't tell the U21s to shove it. Some people will believe his excuse of fatigue whereas others will think he snubbed them as he thought he was too good for the U21s. If he had said before the squad was announced that he was too tired and needed the summer off, fine, but he didn't. I wouldn't boo any English player, I believe he paid his price for the "snub" and thats the end of it. I wanted him brought on sooner as I've probably watched more Blackburn games than a lot as my mate is a big Rovers fan and seen his talent often.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.