Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ooh I just got a letter today about how to access the Nottingham applicants portal thing, exciting stuff I thought it was going to be a rejection...

ReputationRep:
    Quick question ..

Do you think a BUPA hospital will let me do work experience there? I'm trying to get as much work experience done after my GCSE exams so I can get on with voluntary work during A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    Don't see no reason why not lil groovy dude. I can't imagine BUPA is fun all round though.

ReputationRep:
    I guess I'll contact them around Feb/March time .. I thought it'd be good getting some experience in private healthcare as well as an NHS trust but dunno
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    hmmm people go private to see the consultant though. they like avoiding junior doctors, medical students and almost certainly work experience people.... basically, different rules apply when they patients are paying to be there. they won't risk losing money. so you might not get to see anything.

ReputationRep:
    Well I got predicted ABCC.... so predicitions can often be awful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bright star)
    hmmm people go private to see the consultant though. they like avoiding junior doctors, medical students and almost certainly work experience people.... basically, different rules apply when they patients are paying to be there. they won't risk losing money. so you might not get to see anything.
    That's what I was thinking, they wouldn't want work experience students there when the people there were paying for their treatment

Ah well .. I got plenty of time to decide this sort of stuff and I guess it wouldn't hurt to apply.

ReputationRep:
    Generally they don't - I think I tried to ask and was told not to bother asking.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard from Newcastle or Glasgow??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bright star)
    you won't be coming to liverpool if you can't get As in bio and chem. they're really strict about it usually.
    That's interesting...I hope she knows, she has a really low C in chemistry AS...182/300

ReputationRep:
    Didn't want to start a new thread for this:

When asked what you learnt from work exp, is it acceptable to talk about what you learnt about yourself as a person, as well as what you learnt about medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)

When asked what you learnt from work exp, is it acceptable to talk about what you learnt about yourself as a person, as well as what you learnt about medicine?

Yeah i would guess so...I think that makes it more personal as well.. instead of the usual "i learnt doctors have to have good communication skills".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)

Definitely I'd say. Would make a more interesting answer as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    That's interesting...I hope she knows, she has a really low C in chemistry AS...182/300
    I got a cack C grade in History and got that to an A - and that's no mean feat - so that kind of thing is doable - just hard work.

ReputationRep:
    I love how every applies to medicine with biomedical sciences as their back up and seems to have very little realisation how much work this degree is. To those of you wanting to study medicine - biomedical sciences is not a close second! Just re-apply! Biomedical sciences is 3 years of hard slog.

ReputationRep:
    But i bet it makes Medicine easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iscariot)
    I love how every applies to medicine with biomedical sciences as their back up and seems to have very little realisation how much work this degree is. To those of you wanting to study medicine - biomedical sciences is not a close second! Just re-apply! Biomedical sciences is 3 years of hard slog.
    What kinda jobs do you get witha Biomedical science degree? Or is it JUST the longer route into medicine?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    erm you can work in a lab. or an office and general graduate jobs. it doesn't lead to a lot in it's own right.

ReputationRep:
    Hurrah, acknowledgement from Newcastle! Just to be told what I already know... I dont have the entry requirements!

Oh and in the above topic... I know a girl who is applying purely for biomedical sciences.... cos she wants too!

What's up with the smileys today by the way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueRoses)
    Oh and in the above topic... I know a girl who is applying purely for biomedical sciences.... cos she wants too!
    Yer, there are a few people who purely like the Biomedicine degree as supposed to A100. I am guessing they want to do stuff with GlaxoSmithKlein et al.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 16, 2009

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.