UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

-42-
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)
What score did you get Dave? Also, where do you think you went wrong in your application - or was it just bad luck? (Hope you don't mind me asking!)

11 days left till I do it. It's August already - is it me or is time going by so quickly these days?
I got an average of 670 or 680 something although that did go down slightly when they decided to pull one of the sections of the test. Oh I forgot about that, be warned, last year 2 of the 5 sections they pulled in the end as disregarded the scores - the non-cognitive analysis and the shape matching section (spatial reasoning? or something like that). Needless to say there were many disgruntled people...!

Oh and as to what went wrong I have no idea matey, I guess they just didn't like me. The only feedback I got was along the lines of, 'You were good but there were lots of good people so hard luck'.

Cheers,

--Dave
蘋果
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mhmm I just sat my UKCAT this morning. O_o

To those who've sat it before: Did anyone else struggle for time? Time ran out for me in all the sections and I had to guess the last 10 questions in verbal and quantitive section. x_X.
And just to top it off, I had a spontaneous nose-bleed half way through to distract me even more. (not through stress, but I have no idea why)

So, I came out with the results:

Verbal: 510
Quantitive: 720
Abstract: 640
Decision: 750

Not too good but oh well.
Looking forward to see other's =p.
iheartvet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 蘋果)

To those who've sat it before: Did anyone else struggle for time? Time ran out for me in all the sections and I had to guess the last 10 questions in verbal and quantitive section. x_X.
And just to top it off, I had a spontaneous nose-bleed half way through to distract me even more. (not through stress, but I have no idea why)

i think that your decision and quantitative scores are really brilliant and that you also have a strong abstract reasoning score. you should be proud of yourself.
well done!
:woo:
Medicine Man
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 蘋果)

that score is pretty damn good
your decision and quantitative were ace!
well done (don't mean to be in any way patronising!)
iheartvet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i meant my message to be patronising. i hope to be able to publish my scores on here on monday after i take the test and i hope that they are as good as yours so that other people can patronise me too!
蘋果
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by iheartvet)
i think that your decision and quantitative scores are really brilliant and that you also have a strong abstract reasoning score. you should be proud of yourself.
well done!
:woo:
Really? :O
Thanks! ^^;

I thought it wasn't too good... since it said:
'All UKCAT subtest scores are expressed on a scale ranging from 300 to 900. Most people taking this test will score between 500 and 700. In fact, the average score of the reference (or comparison) group for each subtest is 600.

(Original post by Medicine Man)
that score is pretty damn good
your decision and quantitative were ace!
well done (don't mean to be in any way patronising!)
Thanks, you reassured me a lot! ^^.
I was worried about my score until now.
iheartvet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
did you find it easier than the practice test on the ukcat website? i can hardly get half-way through the quantitative section on the practice test!
i'm no superman
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 蘋果)

An average of 655! Well done! Ah I wish I could be in your shoes right now ha! :p:

Was the quantitive reasoning as hard as the practice one on the UKCAT wesbite?
MaybeMedic
Report 10 years ago
蘋果- those are great scores! I would be so happy with them. I'm expecting to do bad.
How did much did you prepare for it?- i know theres only so much you can do for the ukcat.
How did you results compare to how you did in practice questions? Did you find it harder or less difficult?
蘋果
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MaybeMedic)
蘋果- those are great scores! I would be so happy with them. I'm expecting to do bad.
How did much did you prepare for it?- i know theres only so much you can do for the ukcat.
How did you results compare to how you did in practice questions? Did you find it harder or less difficult?
I did one practice test for each question, the first links from this.
I did a lot better in the practice questions, I found the actual's more harder and more demanding for time. And thanks for reassuring me with the scores ^^; I was worried about them.

(Original post by !MEna)
An average of 655! Well done! Ah I wish I could be in your shoes right now ha!

Was the quantitive reasoning as hard as the practice one on the UKCAT wesbite?
Maybe I was doing something wrong, since I felt the quantative questions were very demanding, even though I'm normally confident with numbers.
Since, there was a huge strain on the time. Its around 30 secs/question. Yet most of the questions required quite a lot of reading and working. So I think it's best to work it out roughly and then make a guess, instead of making sure each answer is thoroughly correct (which I did, and then I ran out of time completely, and had to randomly guess the last 10 questions).

The first few questions were like the example here.

But as it progressed, it needed more working to find out the answer.

Ohh edit: I didn't do the practice test at the website, so I can't say how hard it was in comparison sorry. x_X.
Myoclonic Jerk
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
did you find it easier than the practice test on the ukcat website? i can hardly get half-way through the quantitative section on the practice test!
It was the same with me, but I wasn't really concentrating when I did the one on the website. I took about 10 minutes trying to understand the first or second question, and ended up just giving up and going through it all really slowly without the time limit.

It's not that my maths is particularly slow, it just took me aaages to read through some of the really long questions.

In the actual exam, I think adrenaline got me through... I worked a lot quicker, but still had to guess the last 8 questions. I ended up with 830 in that section though, so was obviously having a lucky day!
iheartvet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i would be very happy to be 3/4 as luck as you were that day, needless to say! well done on the excellent score. i will let everyone know what i think of the exam after i am done. i am looking forward to not having to think about it once monday is over.
Princess_
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Myoclonic Jerk)
In the actual exam, I think adrenaline got me through... I worked a lot quicker, but still had to guess the last 8 questions. I ended up with 830 in that section though, so was obviously having a lucky day!
Or you're just really clever. Well done. I wish I had a brain like yours
Princess_
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i would be very happy to be 3/4 as luck as you were that day, needless to say! well done on the excellent score. i will let everyone know what i think of the exam after i am done. i am looking forward to not having to think about it once monday is over.
Good luck.

& good luck to everyone else.
Myoclonic Jerk
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks. I stuck to the timings for the other three sections, so managed to just about complete them as the time was up.

Apart from doing the practice sections on the UKCAT site and familiarising yourself with the timings for each section, the only advice I can give is what worked for me:

Try to do a bit of reading over the weekend - maybe from a newspaper or something - and see how quickly you can pick up the key ideas from the article. You might be surprised how much easier it becomes once you've 'warmed up'.

Maybe do a couple of sudokus or something to get your head used to dealing with numbers and logic again: if you're anything like me, your brain will have slowed down considerably since the end of the school term!

I also found going through the answers to the abstract sample questions on the UKCAT website especially handy - it let me know what types of patterns and stuff they were working from.

Apart from that, try not to worry too much about it (easier said than done, I know) - as long as you're familiar with the format of the questions, I don't think there's too much more you can do about it. Get a good night's sleep on Sunday!

Good luck!
BananaWaffles
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Myoclonic Jerk)
Thanks. I stuck to the timings for the other three sections, so managed to just about complete them as the time was up.

Apart from doing the practice sections on the UKCAT site and familiarising yourself with the timings for each section, the only advice I can give is what worked for me:

Try to do a bit of reading over the weekend - maybe from a newspaper or something - and see how quickly you can pick up the key ideas from the article. You might be surprised how much easier it becomes once you've 'warmed up'.

Maybe do a couple of sudokus or something to get your head used to dealing with numbers and logic again: if you're anything like me, your brain will have slowed down considerably since the end of the school term!

I also found going through the answers to the abstract sample questions on the UKCAT website especially handy - it let me know what types of patterns and stuff they were working from.

Apart from that, try not to worry too much about it (easier said than done, I know) - as long as you're familiar with the format of the questions, I don't think there's too much more you can do about it. Get a good night's sleep on Sunday!

Good luck!
Lol, I think you just convinced me to dig out my Dr Kawashima's Brain Training on the Nintendo DS for the run up to my UKCAT!!! ^_^
Rezarjk
Report 10 years ago
Just did mine this morning. It was all a bit hectic because I just got back from a choir tour in Germany so I only really was able to prepare a little yesterday and a bit before the exam. I was pretty scared because this was the first time I'd looked at it and I couldn't do the online paper at all in the time limit. I got

Is this any good? Average is 735 which is above the 600 average but would it be considered an outstanding score or just a pretty good one. I thought I did pretty bad on some sections. I ask because I'm thinking of applying to either 1 or 2 BMATs (Cambridge + ?Imperial?) depending on how good the UKCAT went but with a score like this I'm not entirely sure (if it had been 800 or so average then I would've been going for just 1 BMAT). They seem to say that you can't tell how good your score is because it's so new, but any help? Is anyone keeping a running average of this thread?

cheers
Raquel//
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's an awesome average. People are meant to get between 500-700 so to be well over 700 is great.

So really, it depends how well you think you can do on BMAT and where you want to go the most. But really the world is your oyster so to speak. So jealous of you right now :p:
Rezarjk
Report 10 years ago
Thanks

Does anyone know of any statistics online of percentiles.etc and the scores of accepted students (correlation/causation..etc) or really anything that I can look at? I've been horribly disorganised about the whole thing! Any literature perhaps on unis which value it higher than others or that have various requirements or point averages.etc

Thakns again
scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Rezarjk, that is brilliant. Well done
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.74%
No - but I will (102)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (635)
47.74%

Watched Threads