Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Tennis Society IV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    9000 Aces for Fed now.

Proof that you don't need a 150mph monster, but rather with him its about placement and skill (goes out wide more than most players and can make it curve a bit to the outside).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatMadClown)
    If he plays like the way he did against djokovic I don't see how he can't beat nadal

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But he most likely won't play like this against Nadal. But Nadal isn't playing anything special atm so should they meet at Indian wells, Federer should win.

(Original post by Sirocco11)
    Ferrer is a machine. I'd go as far to say that he's been at his very peak for the past 4 years. His presence at the WTF year in year out is testament to that.
    Ferrer is indeed a machine. He didn't qualify for WTF last year but that's because the guy had lost a lot of finals last year. He was still pretty consistent. This year he has won all of his finals so far and I think he will qualify for WTF.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_K1NG)
    But he most likely won't play like this against Nadal. But Nadal isn't playing anything special atm so should they meet at Indian wells, Federer should win.

Ferrer is indeed a machine. He didn't qualify for WTF last year but that's because the guy had lost a lot of finals last year. He was still pretty consistent. This year he has won all of his finals so far and I think he will qualify for WTF.
    Should they meet in indian wells, federer should be able to get the win, he just needs to keep attacking the net

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Should they meet in indian wells, federer should be able to get the win, he just needs to keep attacking the net

Posted from TSR Mobile
    With Nadal's speed and the quality of his passing shots his approach shots would have to be perfect every time for him to get past Nadal with that, assuming of course Nadal doesn't pin him to the baseline... I think Federer would have to produce his A game and Nadal to play like he has been recently for Federer to have a chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy95)
    With Nadal's speed and the quality of his passing shots his approach shots would have to be perfect every time for him to get past Nadal with that, assuming of course Nadal doesn't pin him to the baseline... I think Federer would have to produce his A game and Nadal to play like he has been recently for Federer to have a chance
    True, but all he has to do is make nadal come to net so he wouldn't have a chance to get into a rally, his serves are well placed as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Switch to 8 minutes and watch.. that's how he needs to play again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Switch to 8 minutes and watch.. that's how he needs to play again.

Reckon he'll win wimbledon this year ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Reckon he'll win wimbledon this year ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Probably not. He fails to cope well with 3+ hour matches these days which makes him especially vulnerable at grand slams.

There are exceptions but it's something I've observed since 2011 especially.

ReputationRep:
    True, but all he has to do is make nadal come to net so he wouldn't have a chance to get into a rally, his serves are well placed as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Many commentators have been saying this for years, but it very rarely plays out that way. Federer can't consistently dominate the baseline rallies with Nadal, and if he can't control the baseline he can't dictate when to bring Nadal forward. The drop shots have never been an effective play for Federer against him, as Nadal is too fast to get caught out.

The keys for Federer beating Nadal are

1. High %tage of first serves in (at least 60%). Needs the wide serve to be clicking.
    2. Tee off hard and early in the rally from the forehand side into Nadal's forehand to elicit a short ball (depends on how well Nadal is punching back from that side).
    3. Serve-volley as often as possible (dependent also on how well Nadal is returning).

As ever, it's always easier said than done. Typically Federer usually struggles to hit strong enough approaches to stop Nadal (who is to my mind the greatest passer the game's ever seen) from passing him. But on balance of form, Federer's been impressive, despite the Australian Open aberration. I'd favour him to win should he meet Rafa, who is still finding his feet on the tour again.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody watching this Ward Isner Davis Cup match? Could go either way.

ReputationRep:
    Have to say, I was very impressed with Ward's win over Isner - congrats to team GB, they'll need to lift their game further when they play France in July though.
    Also a bit late on this, but Leo Mayer wins the 2nd longest match in history (6hrs 47 mins) - converting his 12th match point, I believe, then Delbonis beat Bellucci to script a remarkable comeback by Argentina on the final day.

Proper Masters level tennis returns to the screens this weekend - draw out for Indian Wells.
    Djokovic (defending champ) plays Vesely/Baghdatis in his opening match, Federer could play Janowicz or Schwartzman. Nadal placed in the bottom half with Dimitrov and Raonic in his quarter, Fed gets Wawrinka/Berdych in his quarter.
    Novak and Ferrer are the seeded QF pairing in the top quarter, with Murray/Nishikori/Fognini/Gulbis also contenders in the other quarter in the top half

ReputationRep:
    Kyrgios vs Dimitrov in progress

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Interesting to see that Tomic beat Ferrer.

ReputationRep:
    Ferrer has not got a good record at Indian Wells anyway. He's only made it past the R32 on 2 occasions out of 12.

Shame Kyrgios got injured, he kind of deserved that match. Overall quality of tennis hasn't been what I expected so far tbh, no-one has really stood up and produced something special. Australian youngsters performing well though

ReputationRep:
    Nikishori is out, Tomic plays Djokovic.

ReputationRep:
    IW Men's QFs: Djokovic vs Tomic, Murray vs Lopez, Nadal vs Raonic and Federer vs Berdych
    Still on course for an all Big 4 semi-final line-up for the first time at any tournament since the 2012 Australian Open

ReputationRep:
    I'd not mind Raonic winning nor Tomic but it does look likely we'll see the big 4.

At any rate, after his initial surge at 19 to 27, it looks like Tomic may have finally stopped screwing around and will beat that. Seems all it took was Kyrigos to make him look like he might not be Ausi number 1 but I suppose that's ego for you.

ReputationRep:
    Predictions for SFs

Djokovic vs Murray
    Raonic vs Berdych

ReputationRep:
    I hate commentators. Constantly brown-nosing Murray. So boring.

"He is a genius" - I barely made this out by one of them, barely. Kinda hard to hear when their head is so far up his backside.

Spoiler:
    Show
    But this is nothing new...

ReputationRep:
    Djokovic gets a free pass into the Semi's after Tomic pulling out. Wonderful. A nice boost to his easy time so far.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 27, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.