Just heard from comms - no message though, just was randomly checking

SUCCESSFUL!!
    I also passed!!!!! OMG!!! Well done!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnum Opus)
    I also passed!!!!! OMG!!! Well done!!!!
    Well done! Can't really believe there aren't anymore stages haha

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh well done guys! I've just checked and am unsuccessful :-( Glad i got to this stage though and hopefully it will put me in a good place for next year! Well done again!!!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thursdayJ)
    Ahhh well done guys! I've just checked and am unsuccessful :-( Glad i got to this stage though and hopefully it will put me in a good place for next year! Well done again!!!
    You'll knock 'em out next year with all that feedback I'm sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geborgenheit)
    Pass for EFS!
    I also passed for EFS!

I am completely over the moon, but I'm a little worried about the more advanced security checks we will have to undergo. Does anyone know what these involve? A friend of a friend apparently failed because she was "too left-wing"...

ReputationRep:
    Well done comma guys! I am a reserve so still another month of uncertainty for me. Anyone else have any experience on the reserve list and chances of making it through?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frigorifico)
    I also passed for EFS!

I am completely over the moon, but I'm a little worried about the more advanced security checks we will have to undergo. Does anyone know what these involve? A friend of a friend apparently failed because she was "too left-wing"...
    Without wanting to be too sceptical about this friend - perhaps 'too left wing' had included attendance at riotous protests/police cautions or that sort of thing?

I am a member of, and have in the past worked for MPs of, a political party - I was very open about it in my application and during the interview at FSAC - as long as you are committed to the political neutrality of the civil service and following instruction from the government of the day, there ought not to be problems?

ReputationRep:
    Do we get FSB reports?

ReputationRep:
    Eventually!

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, unsuccessful for comms. I'm so sad!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else a GCS reserve? There are 5 of us not sure what this means for our chances as there were only 25 jobs available
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlFS94)
    Anyone else a GCS reserve? There are 5 of us not sure what this means for our chances as there were only 25 jobs available
    How do you know those numbers? It doesn't sound very promising, but what I'd ask them if I were you is about the possibility of being offered a standard position as if you're on reserve it sounds very likely you'll be offered one. In any case I wouldn't be sad about getting this far on the first time they've run the scheme. The first FSB was always going to be tough as we all went in blind.

I will say in my FSB experience I think they may have been looking for personality more than anything - communications has to be engaging after all. I was lighthearted in the written exercise (in a balanced way), and I talked about Shaun the sheep adverts in my interview. In the role play I just tried to remain resilient even though I felt I was completely ****ing it up. It will be interesting to see the FSB feedback to see specifically what they were looking for - and certainly that feedback alone will put you in a far greater position than anyone else in just a few more months. In that meantime though if you're planning on reapplying I'd highly suggest you get some experience in digital communications, such as social media management, forum moderation, anything basic like that but demonstrates you've done something that is a uniquely digital phenomenon - I also have 5 years experience in this field though I didn't talk much about it to be honest, my interview seemed mostly hypothetical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geborgenheit)
    Without wanting to be too sceptical about this friend - perhaps 'too left wing' had included attendance at riotous protests/police cautions or that sort of thing?

I am a member of, and have in the past worked for MPs of, a political party - I was very open about it in my application and during the interview at FSAC - as long as you are committed to the political neutrality of the civil service and following instruction from the government of the day, there ought not to be problems?
    I agree, I suspect that there is more to this story than them just being left-wing. So hopefully there's nothing to worry about. I just find it incredible that I've got this far so I'm sort of expecting something to go wrong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnum Opus)
    How do you know those numbers? It doesn't sound very promising, but what I'd ask them if I were you is about the possibility of being offered a standard position as if you're on reserve it sounds very likely you'll be offered one. In any case I wouldn't be sad about getting this far on the first time they've run the scheme. The first FSB was always going to be tough as we all went in blind.

I will say in my FSB experience I think they may have been looking for personality more than anything - communications has to be engaging after all. I was lighthearted in the written exercise (in a balanced way), and I talked about Shaun the sheep adverts in my interview. In the role play I just tried to remain resilient even though I felt I was completely ****ing it up. It will be interesting to see the FSB feedback to see specifically what they were looking for - and certainly that feedback alone will put you in a far greater position than anyone else in just a few more months. In that meantime though if you're planning on reapplying I'd highly suggest you get some experience in digital communications, such as social media management, forum moderation, anything basic like that but demonstrates you've done something that is a uniquely digital phenomenon - I also have 5 years experience in this field though I didn't talk much about it to be honest, my interview seemed mostly hypothetical.

Parity told me there are 5 reserves. In previous years a lot of people have got through on the reserve so not really couting myself out just yet or reflecting on where I lost points.

ReputationRep:
    I also passed for EFS!

If EFS security checks are remaining the same as last year, you will be cleared to SC level. There's nothing too demanding in there if I remember correctly and you don't have to attend an interview.

Also, congrats!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegetaway)
    If EFS security checks are remaining the same as last year, you will be cleared to SC level. There's nothing too demanding in there if I remember correctly and you don't have to attend an interview.

Also, congrats!

Thanks!

I assume then that if there's no interview that also means that they won't call up my friends and family either. That must be reserved for a higher level of clearance.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

I assume then that if there's no interview that also means that they won't call up my friends and family either. That must be reserved for a higher level of clearance.
    Yes, that's right. They only do that for DV clearance (what is necessary if you're successful for the FCO) to the best of my knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard back regarding the commercial fast stream yet and it's been almost 3 weeks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.