Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)

I really liked one of the Ibanez ones BUT THE REVERSED HEADSTOCK I keep thinking it's a lefty guitar :lol:
    Do you use any specific picks? My friend was telling me about how jazz (Jazz III?) picks are really small... I was watching
    Spoiler:
    Show
    and I didn't notice this but he was hiding a pick in his hand anyhow, people are telling me that's like almost impossible to play on the guitar so I'm even more impressed :lol:

I've just about got used to thick picks (1.50mm) and picking in general now :lol:
    Reverse headstocks are definitely weird... Erm, generally I just use the standard orange ones (can't remember the exact thickness as the writing's rubbed off all of mine - 0.69mm maybe?) however my friend got me a plectrum maker for my birthday which is amazing. I'll admit I had not seen specific jazz plectrums before! My uber brilliant guitarist bandmate gets these special metal and resin ones from America which I think is a little excessive.

1.5 is thick! Any reason why you choose them? I couldn't get used to that at all... I started out playing more finger-style stuff and it took me ages to learn how to pick half-decently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    I haven't heard much about an AoT season II, maybe I'm not looking hard enough
    I've heard about them making live action movies for it though.
    Season 2 won't come out until 2015 I think. The two movies are just recaps of season 1 which is a bit meh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowninginsound)
    Reverse headstocks are definitely weird... Erm, generally I just use the standard orange ones (can't remember the exact thickness as the writing's rubbed off all of mine - 0.69mm maybe?) however my friend got me a plectrum maker for my birthday which is amazing. I'll admit I had not seen specific jazz plectrums before! My uber brilliant guitarist bandmate gets these special metal and resin ones from America which I think is a little excessive.

1.5 is thick! Any reason why you choose them? I couldn't get used to that at all... I started out playing more finger-style stuff and it took me ages to learn how to pick half-decently.
    I think I started off with a decent one - 0.81mm perhaps? My friends told me that thicker picks are easier to play with - and I feel the same way too now. I ordered a pack of 10 and they came in various sizes, 1.50mm is the thickest one and I followed my friends advice and it feels pretty good. It felt soooooooooooo weird at the start though... I heard most pros use thicker ones too? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dunlop-Petru.../dp/B007XA0KQE --> my friend said these are the best picks he's ever used.

Still, I've only played for like 2 weeks so I'm still a noob I don't really know any chords and I'm sort of just learning melodies at the moment (mostly transcribed from my friend's perfect pitch :lol:) but I'm learning Glasgow Kiss as a really long term goal

Is your plectrum maker the one for old credit etc cards? I think I've seen one of those around!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    I think I started off with a decent one - 0.81mm perhaps? My friends told me that thicker picks are easier to play with - and I feel the same way too now. I ordered a pack of 10 and they came in various sizes, 1.50mm is the thickest one and I followed my friends advice and it feels pretty good. It felt soooooooooooo weird at the start though... I heard most pros use thicker ones too? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dunlop-Petru.../dp/B007XA0KQE --> my friend said these are the best picks he's ever used.

Still, I've only played for like 2 weeks so I'm still a noob I don't really know any chords and I'm sort of just learning melodies at the moment (mostly transcribed from my friend's perfect pitch :lol:) but I'm learning Glasgow Kiss as a really long term goal

Is your plectrum maker the one for old credit etc cards? I think I've seen one of those around!
    Wow, I'd find it so weird to play with such a thick plectrum. I guess it's just personal preference really. My friend seems to agree with your friend then, he refuses to play with anything less than 1.5 now! To be honest I only like using plectrums for occasional rhythm playing. Even lead I prefer to use my fingers - St Vincent is my idol.

Eh, you've got to start somewhere! Although I would recommend actually trying to learn the theory of what you're playing (I don't know how musical you already are), because playing by ear can only really get you so far. Good luck with that piece, not sure I would attempt it.

Yes it is! Though I've found that old plastic ice cream tubs work best.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I'd find it so weird to play with such a thick plectrum. I guess it's just personal preference really. My friend seems to agree with your friend then, he refuses to play with anything less than 1.5 now! To be honest I only like using plectrums for occasional rhythm playing. Even lead I prefer to use my fingers - St Vincent is my idol.

Eh, you've got to start somewhere! Although I would recommend actually trying to learn the theory of what you're playing (I don't know how musical you already are), because playing by ear can only really get you so far. Good luck with that piece, not sure I would attempt it.

Yes it is! Though I've found that old plastic ice cream tubs work best.
    I've done grade 5 theory and I used to play the piano. For some songs I'm simply transcribing the piano sheet onto the guitar and that's really helping me understand the mechanics of the guitar. I suppose I know the basics but if you asked me about key signatures I wouldn't be able to tell you much :lol: What sort of music do you like/to play?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    I've done grade 5 theory and I used to play the piano. For some songs I'm simply transcribing the piano sheet onto the guitar and that's really helping me understand the mechanics of the guitar. I suppose I know the basics but if you asked me about key signatures I wouldn't be able to tell you much :lol: What sort of music do you like/to play?
    That's pretty cool, I started out on piano too but I've never done any theory exams. I guess if that's the way that works for you that's fine, I just find it annoying when you meet a guitarist who doesn't even know what notes they're playing, or how to theoretically form a chord. Key signatures will come with practice, my friend. I mostly listen to indie rock so that's generally what I end up playing a lot of the time, or I try to write stuff like it. The last thing I learnt was You! Me! Dancing! by Los Campesinos and that was fun. Whst about you? What sort of music do you listen to?

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty cool, I started out on piano too but I've never done any theory exams. I guess if that's the way that works for you that's fine, I just find it annoying when you meet a guitarist who doesn't even know what notes they're playing, or how to theoretically form a chord. Key signatures will come with practice, my friend. I mostly listen to indie rock so that's generally what I end up playing a lot of the time, or I try to write stuff like it. The last thing I learnt was You! Me! Dancing! by Los Campesinos and that was fun. Whst about you? What sort of music do you listen to?
    Anime OSTs
    House
    Rock
    Metal

My friend recently introduced my to a metal band called Crossfaith, I quite like their music tbh.

I could name notes but not too quickly on the guitar, though I'm becoming better at that. I can't remember much about chords from piano or theory, but I know the general shape of them on the piano, just not how to form them on the guitar. I'll learn them when I can be bothered :lol: Very tempted to learn Imagine Dragon's Warriors as that's quite easy and should teach me a few chords.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Does anyone know of any revision material (like exam papers for specific modules) for Alevel Biology OCR F215? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Learnt about the Squeeze Theorem today. The algebra manipulation was pretty damn hard in that... hopefully it'll become 2nd nature soon :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Learnt about the Squeeze Theorem today. The algebra manipulation was pretty damn hard in that... hopefully it'll become 2nd nature soon :lol:
    I really start to ****ing hate A Level Maths when I remember that limits aren't mentioned once in the entire Core series (don't know if they come up in FP).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoFreak)
    I really start to ****ing hate A Level Maths when I remember that limits aren't mentioned once in the entire Core series (don't know if they come up in FP).
    Limits in what sense? I think they are in fp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Calculus.

ReputationRep:

I'm talking about this sort of thing :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)

I'm talking about this sort of thing :lol:
    Yeah, I know, it doesn't come up at all. I think the notation is used once in an early differentiation chapter

I originally learnt calculus online in like Year 9 and it was literally the first thing I did (on Khan Academy).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know, it doesn't come up at all. I think the notation is used once in an early differentiation chapter
    Yeah it's in FP

AQA FP3 I know anyway

WJEC we might be doing it dunno

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's in FP

AQA FP3 I know anyway

WJEC we might be doing it dunno
    Ok, I'll take it Still seems a big thing to miss out, even if they just touched on it. I'll check OCR's syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'll take it Still seems a big thing to miss out, even if they just touched on it. I'll check OCR's syllabus.
    I can give you PDF notes for limits if you want :lol: but it's going to be pretty damn hard to self teach yourself from the notes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    I can give you PDF notes for limits if you want :lol: but it's going to be pretty damn hard to self teach yourself from the notes.
    Nah, don't worry about it, I can find stuff

ReputationRep:
    Nah, don't worry about it, I can find stuff
    If you find anything good do you mind sending me it please?

I've seen them come up a lot but have no clue on them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tibbz2)
    If you find anything good do you mind sending me it please?

I've seen them come up a lot but have no clue on them!
    Seriously, just anything from Khan Academy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.