The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jitesh
Would probably get an E or something.. Art's fun though :smile:

Art is great, but taking it as a subject is very very different :sadnod: There's loads of written analysis and you don't really produce original work, you study an artist and your final piece has to be inspired by them (using the same techniques/media/arrangement as them for example) :dontknow:
Saying that, it was still fun (so much work though)
Did any of you guys get an invitation to the Queen Ethelburga's College open day? I got one and I'm trying to work out how they got my address and why it was sent to me... QE is apparently a very posh boarding school that I have no wish to go to, nor any connections to.
Original post by Gingerbread101
Ah cool :biggrin: if you are going to be doing 4 A Levels and want to use them for medicine, as its very competitive, art may be considered a soft subject.. I would recommend French or geography instead, although if you're more likely to get a higher mark in art that could still work :smile: check the subject requirements of the unis you're looking at and see which subjects they recommend :yep:

Thank you :smile: I'm finding everyone on this website very helpful and nice too haha! I want to get help from my school mentor/ guidance person but it seems she only gives really generic advice :frown: :smile:
I'm such a procrastinator so idk if I could deal with art ? As much as I like the subject ..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Art is great, but taking it as a subject is very very different :sadnod: There's loads of written analysis and you don't really produce original work, you study an artist and your final piece has to be inspired by them (using the same techniques/media/arrangement as them for example) :dontknow:
Saying that, it was still fun (so much work though)

I think I would be so lost if I had to produce original work ! D: Everyone (not taking art) thinks art is an easy subject but it actually takes the most time and effort; though I do like that we don't have a written exam to revise for

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stephssteps
Thank you :smile: I'm finding everyone on this website very helpful and nice too haha! I want to get help from my school mentor/ guidance person but it seems she only gives really generic advice :frown: :smile:
I'm such a procrastinator so idk if I could deal with art ? As much as I like the subject ..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is medicine definitely the route you want to take? Because if so you need to start making sure you fit the requirements now (as it's so competitive). Have you looked at any unis yet? I'd recommend having a look on their pages for medicine to see their requirements and get a better idea of what kind of uni you're aiming for.
In that case, when you're not guaranteed to have art as an easy subject on the side just for some UMS, I would advise not to take it.. It is a fun subject, but it's not suited to medicine. If you were going to take another subject that wasn't a science, medicine schools much rather prefer a traditional subject such as history, English lit/language, etc
when does everyone get there mock results back? get mine on the 15th and im scared...
Guys can I take a quick poll to see if anyone thinks GCSE English is completely useless. I mean as far as I know my future job won't require me to analyse Animal Farm or describe how someone's character develops over the course of a story. Some of the CA's are pretty useful, like how spoken language differs with age. Does anyone else share this view?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by guitaristemily
when does everyone get there mock results back? get mine on the 15th and im scared...

I know how the results are gonna be given to us but I dunno when.

Anyway, why are you scared? I'm sure you'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KingCorneliusIII
Guys can I take a quick poll to see if anyone thinks GCSE English is completely useless. I mean as far as I know my future job won't require me to analyse Animal Farm or describe how someone's character develops over the course of a story. Some of the CA's are pretty useful, like how spoken language differs with age. Does anyone else share this view?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorta but then again, there might be some jobs that requires that. Who knows, maybe learning how to infer characteristics from someone's actions helps intelligence or police in interrogation or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Firenze26
Sorta but then again, there might be some jobs that requires that. Who knows, maybe learning how to infer characteristics from someone's actions helps intelligence or police in interrogation or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 20/20 in spoken language, only useful Controlled Assessment...
Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think it's useless, if the content is not relevant then the analytical skills it uses most definitely are. It encourages you to think deeper and interpret things - which are useful skills in any job.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I definitely don't think it's useless :nah:
Judgement and analytical skills are very useful in life, especially if you want to pursue a career in which you need to infer things from a text or situation (for example law). It also develops the sophistication of your expression, which gives you the upper hand in interviews and written work of any kind.
I definitely don't think it's useless :nah:
Judgement and analytical skills are very useful in life, especially if you want to pursue a career in which you need to infer things from a text or situation (for example law). It also develops the sophistication of your expression, which gives you the upper hand in interviews and written work of any kind.

I understand the analytical skills it's just like with Macbeth I don't understand how being able to compare differences in characters between the play and film is useful
I understand the analytical skills it's just like with Macbeth I don't understand how being able to compare differences in characters between the play and film is useful

I don't see how else you'd be able to develop the skills otherwise without having something to practice and apply them to? :dontknow:
I don't see how else you'd be able to develop the skills otherwise without having something to practice and apply them to? :dontknow:

Perhaps I'm just underappreciating its value as so far I haven't seen a situation where it was useful
Original post by Firenze26
I know how the results are gonna be given to us but I dunno when.

Anyway, why are you scared? I'm sure you'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

scared becuase i know that they are important and i think i ****ed them up.
Anyone got a sixth form interview?
scared becuase i know that they are important and i think i ****ed them up.

They're not that important

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jitesh
Anyone got a sixth form interview?

ive had a college one if that counts?

Original post by TH3-FL45H
They're not that important

Posted from TSR Mobile

to me they are.
ive had a college one if that counts?

to me they are.