Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Law Offers for 2016? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabruttledge)
    Haha I don't blame you! It's one of those uni's mainly full of Oxbridge rejects anyway so wasn't keen.
    And that's a bad thing? Lol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Debbie_KB)
    I know this post was a while back, but are you still looking at Oxford Brookes?
    No, I've already made my firm and insurance choices, and Oxford Brookes is not one of them. Sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saule1116)
    No, I've already made my firm and insurance choices, and Oxford Brookes is not one of them. Sorry
    That's okay, on my hunt to find any fellow Brookers haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Debbie_KB)
    That's okay, on my hunt to find any fellow Brookers haha
    There is a thread for people with Oxford Brookes offers. Might want to check that out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saule1116)
    There is a thread for people with Oxford Brookes offers. Might want to check that out.
    Cool, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobkata)
    Can someone help me with making a decision on my insurance choice.
    I will put Durham as my firm but can't decide between Newcastle and Sheffield as an insurance.
    My course in Sheffield is quite interesting as it offers one year abroad (in Germany) where I will get some experience in German public law.
    The course at Newcastle is just straight law.
    Can anyone help or share anything?
    Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Newcastle has a great Law department from what I hear, as well as it being an amazing city. Pretty sure they are both on the same level and held in the same regard by firms, so go where you think you will prefer uni life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandyyCD97)
    Good luck! Where do you hold offers for?
    Thank you! Currently only Exeter and East Anglia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Velvetgh0st)
    Annoying because I fell in love with the city etc and still waiting on Nottingham to reject me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah don't worry, I'm expecting a rejection from Nottingham also which is a shame because I want to firm them

ReputationRep:
    Yeah don't worry, I'm expecting a rejection from Nottingham also which is a shame because I want to firm them
    I think Nottingham's accommodation applications opened this morning so I would've thought everyone would've heard by now to have a fair chance at accommodation ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha I don't blame you! It's one of those uni's mainly full of Oxbridge rejects .
    Got any evidence to support this claim - or it just 'I assume', or 'My teacher says'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Got any evidence to support this claim - or it just 'I assume', or 'My teacher says'?
    Well cmon! He got rejected so it's OK to be a bit bitter :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha I don't blame you! It's one of those uni's mainly full of Oxbridge rejects anyway so wasn't keen.
    'Oxford rejects' are students of a very high intellect who unfortunately did not get a place at Oxford after interview. Any university would be lucky to get them.

ReputationRep:
    Just received an offer from Warwick! I'm surprised seeing as my GCSE's and A-levels aren't that great.
    I'm stuck between Warwick and Leeds now.
    I'm still waiting on Nottingham though...

ReputationRep:
    Hey I just heard back from Lancaster. Got an offer.
    So that means I have unconditional offers from Lancaster, Leicester and Reading. Rejected by SOAS. Waiting for Kent (though I don't think I'll go there).
    Can anyone please tell me which college would be the best for graduate prospects? And the teaching? I'm an international student btw. Are any of these colleges "top tier"? I mean, I obviously know that they're not on the same level as Oxbridge or Nottingham, but how good would you say they're considered to be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TiffanyMak)
    If you don't mind me asking, what HL's did you choose for IB? I'm quite interested in doing Law in uni, but I have no idea if my subject combinations are ideal for LSE.

I'm doing
    HL
    History
    English Language and Literature
    Business and Management

SL
    Math studies
    Biology
    French Ab Initio
    Hey sure happy to help.

I am doing HL: Eglish Lang & Lit, History and Economics and SL: Math, French, and Biology.

I would say English and History are very helpful for studying law. You will write a lot of essays in these classes, especially History, and these courses will challenge you to think critically of texts. You will definitely see an improvement if you stay dedicated to these subjects.

Math and Biology will not be so much help for Law. I am not sure about Business but Econ does certainly challenges us to think critically of situations so I think it does help although not as much as English and History.

TOK is very helpful as well. Basically, any social science class helps you get a hindsight of human nature, which is important for law.

I am not sure about how they will view Math Studies... but maybe it may not be so much problem as you are applying for Law. You have made some nice course choices that will open up a wide range options, not just law, while applying for uni. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Should I hesitate when I am choosing Nottingham over Queen Mary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asgunsur)
    Should I hesitate when I am choosing Nottingham over Queen Mary?
    No.

Nottingham is undoubtedly better than QM for law, and most other subjects for that matter.

Only real reason for choosing QM would be its location, but even that's not very important when considering MC firms visit Nottingham's law fair and not many visit QM's.

ReputationRep:
    UCL, LSE, Durham, Nottingham, Bristol, King's... are all full of "Oxbridge rejects". It's just that some of them have the unfortunate "Oxbridge reject" reputation more than others.

ReputationRep:
    Just firmed Nottingham with Exeter as insurance! Declined KCL and Leeds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    No.

Nottingham is undoubtedly better than QM for law, and most other subjects for that matter.

Only real reason for choosing QM would be its location, but even that's not very important when considering MC firms visit Nottingham's law fair and not many visit QM's.
    location is not an important factor for me thank you for your answer!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.