Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How do you guys calculate your score from the UKCAT practice tests online?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=muz360;67213708]
    (Original post by Euan1603)

Reach is basically a government funded programme that helps disadvantaged students get into medicine, dentistry and law. Some unis offer reach students an advantage.

Yours ECs and work experience sound good, you should have a fair bit to talk about at interviews.

If you did end up with 5As it would make your application a fair bit stronger. You'd have a better chance with edinburgh, and you'd be able to apply to glasgow. Apparently Glasgow's UKCAT cut off last year was 675, so as long as the average doesn't decrease you may just squeeze an interview. But as it stands you have a good shot at getting interviews from Aberdeen, Dundee and St Andrews so you're looking alright 👍
    the UKCAT is all glasgow look at prior to interview isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Any tips for VR? I'm getting all the practice questions wrong and my UKCAT is in a couple of days!!

ReputationRep:
    Is the VR in the exam similar to medify and the 1000 qs book? Coz my exam is on the 16th and im still getting in the 570-630 region in all the sections is that bad as of now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DragonEmily)
    I will be taking the test hopefully the latest, by the end of this summer. I still haven't started studying for it but I hear it is pretty challenging. I'm also thinking of sitting the BMAT as well. How is it going for you?
    Have u taken it yet? Were the VR texts about niche subjects like econ and gardening with lots of jargon or did u find them to be fairly ok with not a lot of subject-specific terminology?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I really need help! My UKCAT is one the 6th and I'm getting around 580/600... AR and VR are just impossible.. any tips??
    Is the actual VR easier or harder than the isc medical 1000Q book??

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Guys can someone give me some tips for the VR section. What's the best method to get through the questions quickly? Do you read the passage thoroughly then answer questions or read the question and skim read for the answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sayyedmousawi)
    I think you do your score as a decimal * 2400. Then +1200 and then divide by 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by te.lope)
    what would you say makes it challenging, is it the context or the length of the text or the timing or type of questions or...?
    I would say it was most challenging due to the time constraints to read the paragraphs. Just because there are often so many different points contained within the text. Having said that, not impossible, so I would recommend having a look at some of the UKCAT official practice questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KB_97)
    I think you do your score as a decimal * 2400. Then +1200 and then divide by 4.
    I've seen someone say that you can multiply your percentage in decimal form by 300 and then +600 (e.g. 0.78*300 + 600), do you know if this works?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sayyedmousawi)
    It's hard to actually get an accurate score because the computer usually calculates your score for you and it's supposed to be relative to how other students have done and all...

But as a general rule of thumb; (the number of answers you got correct/the number of questions x 600) + 300.

ReputationRep:
    how does everyone know what the cut off scores are for UKCAT every year for all the unis?
    I tried googling them and looking at their websites but didnt yet very far.
    is there a special website dedicated to them or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marsbar3007)
    I've seen someone say that you can multiply your percentage in decimal form by 300 and then +600 (e.g. 0.78*300 + 600), do you know if this works?
    I have been doing that but multiplying by 600 then adding 300

ReputationRep:
    Who else finds that their brain just seems to shut off and go blank when it comes to AR?? I sit there for like 2 minutes trying to figure out the pattern and the longer it gets, the more frustrated I get so it gets even harder to identify it FFS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marsbar3007)
    Yeh. I think the one ur saying is the correct one.

ReputationRep:
    Those of you who got good scores in this yr's UKCAT. How many questions should i aim to answer in each section? or how many did you manage to answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eemooz)
    I had my UKCAT exam a few days ago, and got the following*
    VR: 600 - lol what
    QR: 850
    AR:700
    Band 1
    Average of 716.7

The resources I used were the Medify online bank for about a month (very relaxed - 20 min to an hour a day) and the 1000q book for a few days.

I found Medify to be an excellent resource, and probably the best out there at the moment. The VR in the exam was harder than any practise i had done, mostly because the questions and options were very long and there weren't many key words etc. The QR was a lot easier than any practice, and my advice for AR is to revise the different types of questions, not just the main stream type 1 questions. I used Medify as my main resource, and I think this was one of the only down falls of the resource, as most of the questions were based on type 1.

Any questions, please ask

Please suggest any universities that you think I would be a good candidate for. I obtained AAB at a level, both the As in chemistry and biology, and have a first class degree. Primarily looking for graduate courses, but also open to undergrad courses if my UKCAT isn't high enough.
    OMG well done!! Glad to see you've done well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euan1603)
    Hey there, also a Scottish applicant and got AAAAB. Have you done your UKCAT yet? What are you thinking about your chances of getting a place. Right now I'm being skeptical. I'm getting my B remarked was 2 off an A so if that comes back an A I will be delighted. But otherwise, I may have to be taking a gap year
    Yeah I got 660 average and band 1 in my ukcat! Not really sure I've been emailing everywhere and so far I think I'm going to apply to Dundee, St. Andrews and maybe Aberdeen but Aberdeen is really far from where I am. Really want to apply to Edinburgh but not sure about my ukcat. I am also part of the reach programme so my grades would be compensated for Glasgow but think my ukcat might be too low, not sure though. Need to weigh out my options over next few weeks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopefulmedic04)
    Yeah I got 660 average and band 1 in my ukcat! Not really sure I've been emailing everywhere and so far I think I'm going to apply to Dundee, St. Andrews and maybe Aberdeen but Aberdeen is really far from where I am. Really want to apply to Edinburgh but not sure about my ukcat. I am also part of the reach programme so my grades would be compensated for Glasgow but think my ukcat might be too low, not sure though. Need to weigh out my options over next few weeks
    Hiya, me again.

Checked Aberdeen's website - for the 2015/16 cycle any reach pupil within the top 75% of UKCAT scores submitted to Aberdeen were guaranteed an interview. As long as they haven't dropped that for this year, which I can't imagine they would, Aberdeen seems like a really good place for you to apply.

Just remembered I have a friend who got a place at St Andrews with AAAAB and 660. So you may well get interviewed there 👍

ReputationRep:
    Your ukcat should be strong enough for Edinburgh. Also depends on what the average is this year which may slightly different due to different format. Remember you are only competing against Scottish students when applying to Scottish universities so statistically less competition. I know someone who got in this year to Edinburgh plus a Glasgow offer with ukcat of 662.5 sj band 1 they were also on reach program. However they did have all A's For Edinburgh your personal statement needs to be really strong and all A's predicted for your advanced Highers. Have a close look at St Andrews but personally I'd avoid due to way the course is run plus appear very ukcat heavy. Scottish universities have to be seen to be taking students from disadvantaged backgrounds. If neither parent has been to university you live at a poor postcode and attend a poor performing school allowing you to attend reach program will gain you extra points. If you are serious about medicine it doesn't matter where you go. Glasgow has the largest medical school and I'm guessing you attended reach program there so almost guaranteed an interview.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.