Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Stefano46)
Yeah I hope to be sitting in the same position lol
If Warwick want triple A then it's not much an insurance though is it haha
I hope I get some AAB offers
The offers that Warwick have given out so far were AAB.
Also, my LSE offer is AAAE so I could still technically include Warwick as my insurance option even if they give me an AAA offer (in the event that they think I'm good enough for them, that is).
XENOCIDE
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
i was under the impression all warwick offers for economics were AAA/ AABB with either combination being good enough?
Economist1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by XENOCIDE)
i was under the impression all warwick offers for economics were AAA/ AABB with either combination being good enough?
Look at this thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=698260

From what I gather, most people have been given an AABb / AABC offer. Considering the vast majority will already have achieved a B grade in their 4th AS level subject, the offer is effectively AAB.
random18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Paulwhy)
Well yes you would be.
i.e. you have failed.
and failure is never fun.
But reality is that if you take a GAP year and do more A-levels you can redeem yourself.

Yes it sounds like you got your pacing totally wrong.
i.e. you have run an 800m race like it is a 400m race.

Sorry I should have been more careful with my choice of words. But you are correct it does not change the conclusion: without history not got much of a chance. e.g. at Warwick students doung Economics and Economic History take proper modules from History department. And History, like Economics, is a very competitive subject. So I can't see the History Department looking favourably on applications from students without A-level History.

That does not sound great i.e. half your degree is going to be on Economic History then you want to show a real interest in Econ hist itself and not just regarding econ hist as motivation for economics.

I can't sorry. (If I read yours, it will open the flood gates).
But read my Good Econ PS: that will tell you my views on how to do a PS and you can see for yourself how yours compares.

I am not an expert on IB but I can't see doing a half strength economics course (which a joint degree is (certainly at Warwick)) is a great preparation.

The best places in Extra for economics would be probably top 15 but not top10 e.g York, Southampton.
I can't see any of the top 10 econ unis being in clearing, but they may well have places.
e.g. top unis don't want the stigma of being in clearing.
So cold call all the unis you are interested in on Results Day.
(to be fair I can't see the Top 3 having places but the rest e.g. UCL,Warwick, esp. Notts, definite possibilities).

If that does not lead to an acceptable offer then I think you should finish off the traditional A-levels you dropped this year (Physics and Chemistry) and do A-level Further Maths. Which will (if my maths is correct) give you 6 A-levels in total. Doing that many will more than dominate concerns that top unis have about you taking 3 years on A-levels.

I know that might not be much fun. e.g. staying behind at school whilst all your friends go off to uni. But it will generate rewards and you could look to go a 6th Form college rather than school. But you would then have to check if they were doing the same Exam Boards.

Then when it comes to re-applying next year read my sig threads. Apply for the subject you want to do i.e. econ not econ hist. Apply for a sensible range of 5. e.g. include some AAB.1.1 unis. And then go to a geat uni and have a great life.
A little harsh don't you think?
I haven't 'failed' as yet, I've had one rejection, and now thankfully an email from UCL regarding an open day in Feb which to me means i haven't been rejected totally on the basis of my PS , whilst 3 are still pending. I sincerely appreciate your advice however, but many of your views seem very unfounded and rather patronising. Whilst i understand you have a lot more knowledge than many of us regarding Economics applications, I'm afraid you're opinions cannot really be taken as scripture. I've asked Bath for feedback, and await it eagerly. Many applicants in this thread have had straight rejections from UCL, does that mean they have 'failed' as you quite abruptly put it. Crisis measures are not yet called for, although it does make sense to analyze the possibilities and prepare for the worst outcome. Economics and Economic History, by the way, is in fact excellent preparation for IB, especially from Warwick or LSE.
And regarding the 3 A Levels issue, I'm already at a private Sixth form college, it's jst less tedious to refer to it as 'school', and having spoken to them regarding the concerns you brought to my attention yesterday, I shall be taking an intensive A2 course in Physics from mid January. And yes, my referee phoned the universities to let them know of this change... HOPEFULLY solving the 3 A level 'problem' you were addressing.
Without being arrogant, I don't think I'm a bad candidate or a 'failure', with 8A*'s at GCSE in a wide range of subjects, and 6A's at AS in broadly speaking very good subjects, and a distinction predicted in AEA Economics.
I understand taking only 2 A2's this year was a bad move, but a personal issue was largely accountable for that decision, and was mentioned in my reference.
I appologise for my earlier paranoia, I was and still am baffled by the decision, given that I thought I had these issues covered in my application. I am in greater spirits now though, and appreciate your help, although with mixed views.

Sorry for the rather long and waffling nature of this post. Thanx for your help guys, I appreciate it.
Mike_P
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You seem like a humble and sensible guy, Random.
Best luck with your apps and I'm sure the universities will take your a-lvl into serious consideration along with the rest of your application (it can never be a bad thing).

M
Paulwhy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by random18)
I haven't 'failed' as yet,
I was just referring to the fact that you had failed to get an offer from Bath.
And hence why that explained that you were devastated.
I was not intending to imply that you were a failure or had failed in some global sense.
sorry if it appeared otherwise!

I've had one rejection, and now thankfully an email from UCL regarding an open day in Feb which to me means i haven't been rejected totally on the basis of my PS
You are correct, I was over extrapolating a bit. But getting a rejection from your easiest to get into uni (Bath) when your 2nd easiest uni is Notts whom are rejecting people for having less than 8 GCSE A*s is not a good position.

But if you applied for straight econ at UCL then an invite to an Open Day is as good as an offer. So that changes the situation dramatically.

whilst 3 are still pending. I sincerely appreciate your advice however, but many of your views seem very unfounded and rather patronising.
I am sorry you feel like that. Yes it is hard to predict uni applications. But what can be said is that it is hard to get offers from top 10 unis for econ, and that is based on the evidence of what unis have done this year and in previous years. And in terms of the application decisions you made there were a number of basic issues that you could have been more aware of.

Whilst i understand you have a lot more knowledge than many of us regarding Economics applications, I'm afraid you're opinions cannot really be taken as scripture.
No and I am not asking them to be.
I've asked Bath for feedback, and await it eagerly.
Unfortunately, you may well only get generic feedback.

Many applicants in this thread have had straight rejections from UCL, does that mean they have 'failed' as you quite abruptly put it..
As I tried to explain above, candidates that don't get offers will have failed and hence are, like you, likely to be devastated. But that does not mean they are bound to fail in their other endeavours.

Crisis measures are not yet called for, although it does make sense to analyze the possibilities and prepare for the worst outcome..
Yes but the situation has changed dramatically since yesterday with you getting, what I understand is a de facto offer from UCL.

Economics and Economic History, by the way, is in fact excellent preparation for IB, especially from Warwick or LSE. .
Pleased to hear that it is the case. But I am surprised that doing only half as much economics does not negatively effect IB employment prospects.

And regarding the 3 A Levels issue, I'm already at a private Sixth form college, it's jst less tedious to refer to it as 'school', and having spoken to them regarding the concerns you brought to my attention yesterday, I shall be taking an intensive A2 course in Physics from mid January. And yes, my referee phoned the universities to let them know of this change... HOPEFULLY solving the 3 A level 'problem' you were addressing. .
Well, if UCL are making you an offer then that may be unnecessary.

Without being arrogant, I don't think I'm a bad candidate or a 'failure', with 8A*'s at GCSE in a wide range of subjects, and 6A's at AS in broadly speaking very good subjects, and a distinction predicted in AEA Economics.
I understand taking only 2 A2's this year was a bad move, but a personal issue was largely accountable for that decision, and was mentioned in my reference.
Well firstly sorry to hear that you had a personal issue. Secondly the AEA Economics. which you did not mention before, is of some but not great value. Thirdly it never was a case of you being a bad candidate. With applications to do econ at top 10 econ unis, it is not a case of good and bad candidates: it is a case of good and very good candidates.

I apologise for my earlier paranoia, I was and still am baffled by the decision, given that I thought I had these issues covered in my application. I am in greater spirits now though, and appreciate your help, although with mixed views.
Well yes having a de facto offer from UCL will improve anyone's spirits.
Jong Il Kim
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by tribalium)
Off topic for a bit, I just received a SEASON's GREETING EMAIL FROM WARWICK L100....
I dunno wt is the point of sending this email LOL...
anyone has got it as well?
so did I. I was pretty exciting as well as intimidating when I opened the email.
Jong Il Kim
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Economist1)
No I haven't got an offer from them yet. You're right, I've got LSE, but Warwick would be a good insurance option.
why aren't you considering UCL as an alternative?
Jong Il Kim
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sorry for the rather long and waffling nature of this post. Thanx for your help guys, I appreciate it.
I like your comment. Quite impressive indeed
+rep
Kookie_Krystal
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I haven't 'failed' as yet, I've had one rejection, and now thankfully an email from UCL regarding an open day in Feb which to me means i haven't been rejected totally on the basis of my PS , whilst 3 are still pending. I sincerely appreciate your advice however, but many of your views seem very unfounded and rather patronising. Whilst i understand you have a lot more knowledge than many of us regarding Economics applications, I'm afraid you're opinions cannot really be taken as scripture. I've asked Bath for feedback, and await it eagerly. Many applicants in this thread have had straight rejections from UCL, does that mean they have 'failed' as you quite abruptly put it. Crisis measures are not yet called for, although it does make sense to analyze the possibilities and prepare for the worst outcome. Economics and Economic History, by the way, is in fact excellent preparation for IB, especially from Warwick or LSE.
And regarding the 3 A Levels issue, I'm already at a private Sixth form college, it's jst less tedious to refer to it as 'school', and having spoken to them regarding the concerns you brought to my attention yesterday, I shall be taking an intensive A2 course in Physics from mid January. And yes, my referee phoned the universities to let them know of this change... HOPEFULLY solving the 3 A level 'problem' you were addressing.
I appologise for my earlier paranoia, I was and still am baffled by the decision, given that I thought I had these issues covered in my application. I am in greater spirits now though, and appreciate your help, although with mixed views.

OMG...I love this post too:yep:
Totally sums up my feelings when I occasionaly ask for advice and sometimes get a semi depressing semi-patronizing semi-informative reply:rolleyes:
But then im over-sensitive
yodude888
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mike_P)
You seem like a humble and sensible guy, Random.
Best luck with your apps and I'm sure the universities will take your a-lvl into serious consideration along with the rest of your application (it can never be a bad thing).

M
Seconded
Jong Il Kim
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Economics and Economic History, by the way, is in fact excellent preparation for IB, especially from Warwick or LSE.
errm but I think I have to disagree with you here.
I believe pure economics or maths-based course would be better suited for IB-related jobs.
barney90
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey amar09, why haven't you put me up on the list on the 1st page?
Check page 12 - I've posted what courses I've applied for and you replied too!
Jong Il Kim
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
btw so many greens in Law lol!
Sabeen
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Jong Il Kim)
I know!!! Quite a few people have offers for law. Do you think they will be giving any more out this year?
izoar
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Jong Il Kim)
yeah and not that many for Economics...
tribalium
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by izoar)
yeah and not that many for Economics...
that's wt we are worrying
izoar
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by tribalium)
that's wt we are worrying
Well I would be a bit more worried if I was applying to law and didn't have anything from LSE. If no one has offers for Eco, then we shouldn't be worrying...
Jong Il Kim
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by izoar)
Well I would be a bit more worried if I was applying to law and didn't have anything from LSE. If no one has offers for Eco, then we shouldn't be worrying...
let us wait for good news till early Jan.
Hard work and perseverance will definitely pay off.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.48%
No (615)
72.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed