Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President M.E.)
    I know, I thought it was pretty much giving an offer, now I think it's a stall from LSE to give them more time :confused:
    I had the latter thought at the back of my mind the whole time. I really want to stay hopeful but it is getting harder to do so as days go by.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amu-ka)
    Hi! I'm also applying for Math and Eco and I had no news since 5 week email some 8 weeks ago. I think (and hope) this does not mean rejection, rather lack of decision.
    Do you think they have already made the decisions n just not replied????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sun_Bear)
    From what i've heard econ at LSE is harder to get into than E+M at Oxford.
    15% acceptance rate at LSE but only 7% acceptance rate for E&M at Oxford so I beg to differ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by User3)
    Its funny how you can say their difference is marginal when you're a first year who hasnt done a spring week or secured a penultimate year internship... Not saying your statement is majorly wrong but its a typical case of blind leading the blind.

At the end of the day most people agree LSE Econ > UCL Econ the same way Camb > LSE. In reality Camb/LSE/UCL Economics offer very similar prospects for the IB industry but in terms of accepting a university offer you should really consider other factors such as academic reputation/prestige/etc before IB prospects. IB is not for everyone

And with regards to the social/uni prestige trade off. I've met people studying Econ at Bath/Bristol on my spring week who got to the exact same position as me at unis which would (probably) be better socially than LSE/UCL. Do you think thats a good enough reason to reject LSE/UCL?
    That's a fair point, but 1) I know a good amount of people currently in the industry which include a sibling who is an IBD analyst at one of the American banks. They all tell me that LSE's reputation is not the massive 'differentiating' tool that some people try to suggest.

You have completely misinterpreted what I've said. If you look back to my original post, I was placing emphasis on social factors, rather than 'IB prospects'. Academic prestige/reputation are essentially the same thing, so I've no idea why you felt the need to mention both separately. You seem to agree that LSE and UCL provide very similar job prospects, hence why I've said applicants should look into the social aspects of both universities more prior to choosing.

Difference between UCL and LSE is way smaller than LSE v Bath. Generally speaking, most people strive to get into the best university possible. There's really not that much to suggest that Bath or Bristol have a better social life than UCL broadly speaking. My perception of UCL has it as a fairly normal 'top' Russell Group university in terms of the social life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by User3)
    Its funny how you can say their difference is marginal when you're a first year who hasnt done a spring week or secured a penultimate year internship... Not saying your statement is majorly wrong but its a typical case of blind leading the blind.

At the end of the day most people agree LSE Econ > UCL Econ the same way Camb > LSE. In reality Camb/LSE/UCL Economics offer very similar prospects for the IB industry but in terms of accepting a university offer you should really consider other factors such as academic reputation/prestige/etc before IB prospects. IB is not for everyone

And with regards to the social/uni prestige trade off. I've met people studying Econ at Bath/Bristol on my spring week who got to the exact same position as me at unis which would (probably) be better socially than LSE/UCL. Do you think thats a good enough reason to reject LSE/UCL?
    going to LSE does not guarantee you a position in IB.. and to be fair UCL and LSE in terms of reputation for economics are not too different even though overall its LSE >UCL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gouratiltzen)
    Oxford and Cambridge tend to accept students with higher grades. Average UCAS entry tariff:

Economics-

Cambridge: 638
    Oxford: 608
    LSE: 587

General-

Cambridge: 610
    Oxford: 583
    LSE: 542
    I meant in terms of applicants receiving offers. For my course(history) it 20% at LSE while it is 25% at Oxford and 34% in Cambridge. It is ,however, true that the average candidate who applies to Oxford had already achieved better grades. But it is deducible to say that Oxford is not much harder than LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeatTheBox)
    I didn't know that the 4 week emails were being sent out for math and eco!!!... I am definitely getting rejected
    Never lose your hope. I submitted my UCAS in September. Pretty early

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know that the 4 week emails were being sent out for math and eco!!!... I am definitely getting rejected

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessarily, the 4 week email just means they're delaying their decision, so not getting one just means you're likely to hear back earlier (be it offer or rejection).

ReputationRep:
    Do you think they have already made the decisions n just not replied????
    I have no idea, I just want to know the decision!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    Uh AAAC, predicted A*A*A*.
    What about his gcse/gce ? And he got C in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maliksajwani)
    What about his gcse/gce ? And he got C in?
    Well I think her GCSE's are all A*s and her C was in Spanish. Although the reason was that her personal statement wasn't up to scratch,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josiejo1970)
    15% acceptance rate at LSE but only 7% acceptance rate for E&M at Oxford so I beg to differ.
    The acceptance rate for LSE Economics is ~7-8% too (2012 figures).

Oxford is still marginally more difficult, though.

(Original post by gouratiltzen)
    Oxford and Cambridge tend to accept students with higher grades. Average UCAS entry tariff:

Economics-

Cambridge: 638
    Oxford: 608
    LSE: 587

General-

Cambridge: 610
    Oxford: 583
    LSE: 542
    UCAS points are meaningless.

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick(but slightly late) update - recieved an offer for Economics (L101) last thursday which arrived bang on the end of my 5-week wait. Offer specifies an A in FM and a pass History. - these are the two A2s I'm taking up during my Gap Year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnnycoolhair)
    Just a quick(but slightly late) update - recieved an offer for Economics (L101) last thursday which arrived bang on the end of my 5-week wait. Offer specifies an A in FM and a pass History. - these are the two A2s I'm taking up during my Gap Year.
    damn that's an easy offer

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify - is tomorrow last LSE Thursday of the year or have they already closed completely?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good luck for tomorrow everyone waiting. I'll be refreshing my inbox from about 11.30 - 1 :lol:

(Original post by Alwaysannoyed)
    Just to clarify - is tomorrow last LSE Thursday of the year or have they already closed completely?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tomorrow is the last - they close on Friday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    Good luck for tomorrow everyone waiting. I'll be refreshing my inbox from about 11.30 - 1 :lol:

Tomorrow is the last - they close on Friday.
    Friday morning or afternoon? Or Thursday night? Lol, desperate to hear something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gracelich)
    Friday morning or afternoon? Or Thursday night? Lol, desperate to hear something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Usually decisions are sent out between 1130-1300 or so (judging by previous weeks) on the Thursday so I'm hoping for something tomorrow around that time. Tomorrow marks week number 8 for me - applied for Maths with Economics!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    Usually decisions are sent out between 1130-1300 or so (judging by previous weeks) on the Thursday so I'm hoping for something tomorrow around that time. Tomorrow marks week number 8 for me - applied for Maths with Economics!
    Tomorrow marks 7th week for me. Did you get the 4 week email? I applied for History.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My 5 week email ended on Monday but I'm still waiting for a decision, really nervous, it will probably come after the Christmas holidays now I assume. Eek
    Applied for International Relations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.