UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Attachment 575620
    I just love seeing gorillas when I'm scrolling down the page:ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsFissy)
    Those of you who got good scores in this yr's UKCAT. How many questions should i aim to answer in each section? or how many did you manage to answer?
    I would say that you should aim to answer about a half to three quarters of the questions and be fairly confident with them and answer as many as you can properly upto the last minute, and with a minute left choose one letter, (a, b, c or d), and pick that choice for every question you have left. Make sure you don't leave out any questions, just guess them if you're not sure as you won't loose any marks for wrong answers.

ReputationRep:
    How come very few uni's use the BMAT does anyone know? I mean I'm happy because I don't think I could do well in that exam at all, but just seems odd that there's so many UKCAT Uni's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsFissy)
    Those of you who got good scores in this yr's UKCAT. How many questions should i aim to answer in each section? or how many did you manage to answer?
    There's not really a specific amount, mostly just make sure the ones you do answer are accurate. I found VR most difficult to manage time for though

Of course having time to finish them all will help as well too 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASTK98)
    Was literally about to ask this. The VR in the isc 1000Q book seem so hard man, some of the passages are just so long and it overwhelms you with information. Can someone who's taken the exam say whether it was harder or easier in the real thing?? How long were the passages too, generally speaking?
    UKCAT has a bank of questions for every section with mixed difficulties, some easy some challenging and you don't know which ones you get given. From what I remember from last year I found VR harder than what it was in 1000 questions book. The passages too long and the questions were definitely needed more time, hence it was my worst section. But my friends found a lot of the questions easy and the passages were shorter too. So I guess you can't really predetermine how hard they'll be for you. Just prepare for the worst and hope for the best I guess. 👍

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    How come very few uni's use the BMAT does anyone know? I mean I'm happy because I don't think I could do well in that exam at all, but just seems odd that there's so many UKCAT Uni's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    BMAT was only used by Oxford and Cambridge a few years ago to select the best candidates but other unis used UKCAT. Now a few other unis have started to use BMAT because they think it's more relevant to the course because there's a science section in it too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHI05)
    BMAT was only used by Oxford and Cambridge a few years ago to select the best candidates but other unis used UKCAT. Now a few other unis have started to use BMAT because they think it's more relevant to the course because there's a science section in it too.
    Thank you ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopefulmedic04)
    Yeah I got 660 average and band 1 in my ukcat! Not really sure I've been emailing everywhere and so far I think I'm going to apply to Dundee, St. Andrews and maybe Aberdeen but Aberdeen is really far from where I am. Really want to apply to Edinburgh but not sure about my ukcat. I am also part of the reach programme so my grades would be compensated for Glasgow but think my ukcat might be too low, not sure though. Need to weigh out my options over next few weeks
    I'm also a Scottish applicant and i think you have a good shot at Glasgow for sure. And don't worry you have far better stats than me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHI05)
    Leeds is also a BMAT uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KB_97)
    Leeds is also a BMAT uni.
    He never said it was still restricted to Oxford and Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    Worst UKCAT on here i got 1480 and a band 2 was taking it a a practice anyway but still ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicineMaybe)
    Worst UKCAT on here i got 1480 and a band 2 was taking it a a practice anyway but still ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which mock did you get it in?

ReputationRep:
    which ukcat mock is the most similar to the real thing? (including medify and official site)

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicineMaybe)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Taking it as a practice? Are you applying next year?

If you're not, you can't take it twice in one application cycle...

ReputationRep:
    How accurate would you guys say the medify mini mocks were in terms of difficulty and the score you got compared to the real thing generally? I seem to be failing the official ones so badly especially qr with a 490 in one of the official qr ones on the site , but with medify im doing less bad with 600-750s which is a huge difference and the discrepency is a little scary considering i've been at it for 2 weeks now. thanks

ReputationRep:
    For verbal reasoning, there are the type 2 questions (4 options). Does anyone know what % of these will be the longer ones (i.e. What does the author think, which one of these statements is most likely to be true/false)? Because some, if they are about a specific topic, i find are scannable i.e. We cannot travel to mercury because... However, for the ones listed above i find you have to essentially find 4 pieces of information within 30 seconds, which is almost impossible unless you get very lucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopefulmedic04)
    Hey guys i really need some help. Sat my ukcat today and got an average of 660 which was below last years Glasgow cut off. As I am a Scottish student, I only really want to apply to Scottish medical schools and really need some advice.
    Glasgow's total cut off last year for the 3 sections being considered this year (VR, QR and AR) was 1990. It was 1880 the year before and 1820 the year before that

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone find UKCAT mock A. Especially in comparison to the actual exam.
    I got 630 in VR, 700 in AR but only 530 in QR.

I know the reason for my poor score in QR. I didn't flag, guess and move on in difficult questions and i had major problems understanding two of the tables. I wasted ALOT of time trying to study the tables and not just guessing and moving on. Because of this i found myself totally guessing the last 10 questions. My exam is not he 8th so it can only get getter and i can learn from mistakes.

How is the actual QR in the exam in comparison to the UKCAT mock tests and practice questions on their website.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on applying to Glasgow this year, a UKCAT heavy uni, but my score was really quite poor.

I wondered if everyone who is planning on applying to Glasgow can post their scores here so we can all get an idea of where we are at. Can do this in a seperately comment for other unis too. I know it won't be totally representative but can maybe help some of us who are a little worried (or maybe it will make it worse, let's see 😕)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarrisonGCSE)
    For verbal reasoning, there are the type 2 questions (4 options). Does anyone know what % of these will be the longer ones (i.e. What does the author think, which one of these statements is most likely to be true/false)? Because some, if they are about a specific topic, i find are scannable i.e. We cannot travel to mercury because... However, for the ones listed above i find you have to essentially find 4 pieces of information within 30 seconds, which is almost impossible unless you get very lucky.
    There are 11 passages in total for VR, and 5-7 of which ask questions with 4 options, 4-6 which ask T/F/CT questions. How many of each you get just depends on your luck I guess.

Also, a tip for those non-scannable questions; guess, flag for review and come back to it at the end when you have time.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.