Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by BenC1997)
    Why do you think Boris' popularity has somewhat soared in the leadership question?

Do people relate to his "lovable buffoon" persona, or is it more that the other possible candidates, May Osborne etc are just much less desirable?

Or perhaps people actually agree with his policies, though I'd imagine not a huge amount of people are particularly aware of what he actually stands for, other than to leave the EU.
    I think where many people feel disillusioned from politics and politicians, he bridges a gap which is currently not bridged. He acts, moreso than May or Osborne, under his own mandate than say his party. The way the media portrays him, he plays on and thus appeals far more to center ground populist voters than someone like May, whose base is far more ideologically grounded.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Why do you think Boris' popularity has somewhat soared in the leadership question?

Do people relate to his "lovable buffoon" persona, or is it more that the other possible candidates, May Osborne etc are just much less desirable?

Or perhaps people actually agree with his policies, though I'd imagine not a huge amount of people are particularly aware of what he actually stands for, other than to leave the EU.
    It soared because he's a brexiter, it has since crashed again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    I think where many people feel disillusioned from politics and politicians, he bridges a gap which is currently not bridged. He acts, moreso than May or Osborne, under his own mandate than say his party. The way the media portrays him, he plays on and thus appeals far more to center ground populist voters than someone like May, whose base is far more ideologically grounded.
    Agreed, and he ofcourse would also have the backing of the Eurosceptic Conservative MP's, whilst the remain candidates would split their own vote, opening the door for him even if he wasn't the party favourite.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    And continuing my daily "on this day" spam, 71 years ago today was VE day. Why are none of you celebrating/mourning?
    Because we don't get the bank holiday to remind us that we probably should?

Honestly though, look at the weather today, it's glorious. It would be a perfect day for a British national day, with an anti-fascist theme as well.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Because we don't get the bank holiday to remind us that we probably should?

Honestly though, look at the weather today, it's glorious. It would be a perfect day for a British national day, with an anti-fascist theme as well.
    Unless you have a dissertation to write while listening to "nazi" songs

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Agreed, and he ofcourse would also have the backing of the Eurosceptic Conservative MP's, whilst the remain candidates would split their own vote, opening the door for him even if he wasn't the party favourite.
    Very true.

He's playing a very well constructed game, you have to give him that.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Come 2019 that will be a minor thing, right now it's all spur of the moment and the system used means that the MPs narrow it down to two candidates

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Come 2019 that will be a minor thing, right now it's all spur of the moment and the system used means that the MPs narrow it down to two candidates

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Who is your preferred future leader?

ReputationRep:
    I don't actually think Boris is that popular within the party. I also don't know how long he could play the loveable buffoon act as PM before people saw through it.

Tories imo would be far better off going for a youngish, non etonian leader who doesn't have much baggage. Like Stephen Crabb.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    I don't actually think Boris is that popular within the party. I also don't know how long he could play the loveable buffoon act as PM before people saw through it.

Tories imo would be far better off going for a youngish, non etonian leader who doesn't have much baggage. Like Stephen Crabb.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think Crabb is one to watch, less skeletons in his closet ( to put it best ).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Who is your preferred future leader?
    I will be waiting until platforms are established

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This time round somebody with a national profile already is needed, so unless Crabb makes a name for himself over the next couple of years I'm sceptical.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd agree with that.

Another important factor will be who their opposition is at the time of the election. Even a poor choice of leader may be seen by many as preferable to a Labour Party under Corbyn.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This. I'd expect them to make the breakthrough in the extra 4 or 5 Welsh seats they will be targeting for Westminster with him at the helm as well, as swing voters are more likely to pick him if it means a Welsh PM.

Ruth Davidson has been endorsing him for a while as well, which makes things a little bit more interesting as well. It's harder to blame England when the PM isn't English.

But as JD says, although he is in a fairly senior Cabinet role now at the DWP, and probably well known enough amongst the parliamentary Conservative party, he's not had much chance yet to do a lot at the DWP bar clear up the mess post-Budget.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    A fresh face is normally fine, but normally you aren't getting a new leader just a few months before a GE, normally they have most of a term to define themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree with that.

Another important factor will be who their opposition is at the time of the election. Even a poor choice of leader may be seen by many as preferable to a Labour Party under Corbyn.
    Corbyn is Tories biggest electoral asset. If the Tories chose someone like May, Gove or Osborne then I think they'd be in big trouble if Labour elected a moderate/soft left candidate like Dan Jarvis or kier starmer etc.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Corbyn is Tories biggest electoral asset. If the Tories chose someone like May, Gove or Osborne then I think they'd be in big trouble if Labour elected a moderate/soft left candidate like Dan Jarvis or kier starmer etc.
    They;'d be fine enough on Osborne, Gove would have 5 years to clean things up, as would May, but May would certainly have the worse reputation going into it.

ReputationRep:
    They;'d be fine enough on Osborne, Gove would have 5 years to clean things up, as would May, but May would certainly have the worse reputation going into it.
    I'm not so sure about Osborne. His personal ratings atm are far below what milibands ever were. Same with Gove. Both of them are somewhat toxic/marmite.

You need a centrist without the scent of a nasty Tory about them who can appeal accross the spectrum. That's why I think Ruth would be devastating for labour.

I hate Tories but even I quite like her, if she can make me like her she's certainly take a big chunk of labour's vote.
    Compare her performance with Zac Goldmiths.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm not so sure about Osborne. His personal ratings atm are far below what milibands ever were. Same with Gove. Both of them are somewhat toxic/marmite.

You need a centrist without the scent of a nasty Tory about them who can appeal accross the spectrum. That's why I think Ruth would be devastating for labour.

I hate Tories but even I quite like her, if she can make me like her she's certainly take a big chunk of labour's vote.
    Davidson also didn't have number 10 pulling loads of strings in Scotland. Osborne's approval ratings have been rather variable, he recovered from 2012, he could recover this time. Gove has poor ratings over education, he now has Justice which could easily soften things, an easy run at the GE would then give him next term to redefine himself, his problem is that he does not look or sound right for the job.

ReputationRep:

I like to think that someone like heidi allen, a red tory through and through, but modern and progressive and likeable would be devastating for labour. If we had BoJo, who given his track record as mayor isnt the best polician would likely win in 2020 but come 2025 might have to leave, then we could have heidi allen step in and smash it for three terms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    I like to think that someone like heidi allen, a red tory through and through, but modern and progressive and likeable would be devastating for labour. If we had BoJo, who given his track record as mayor isnt the best polician would likely win in 2020 but come 2025 might have to leave, then we could have heidi allen step in and smash it for three terms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, smash the Tory party, would definitely be leaving the party if that happened. We should be taking this opportunity to realign British politics

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.