The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dragonmeister
One of my personal favourites is "So ein pech", probably because it came up regularly in listening exercises for some reason

Mainly it's because I've dropped Physics and therefore have a slot open to take up German again (an option which I would have done had I not been so indecisive about my university options, leaving myself the scientific route open, or had there been a 6th option slot available) - I enjoyed it as a language and a subject, but hadn't fully realised how little science at university level appealed to me, so had decided to keep that side of affairs as an option (which was a rubbish choice, looking back on the Physics AS course)

I've also moved towards it because it'll help me develop my language experience base for application for this: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/esps/index.htm - I unfortunately won't be able to do German as a major (as it requires you to do A2), but I'll (if I get in and don't get into Oxford) probably be doing either Dutch or one of the Scandinavian languages, for which German will be helpful :tongue:

Remind me what you're applying for?
Original post by such_a_lady
Remind me what you're applying for?

PPE (for which an unfortunately large number of people apply) - you're German and Spanish, aren't you?
(edited 12 years ago)
We should have a contest to see who submits their UCAS form first :wink:

I'd lose, our school hasn't yet given us our UCAS buzzwords, and it won't til we get back after the summer. Then they'll take weeks to do the reference. It would be quite funny to be the very first applicant. I'm the first person with my initials/surname to sign up (even though I don't have the buzzword to get it) - my username is jr[surname]1. :king1:

dragonmeister
x

Kids these days.
Original post by dragonmeister
PPE (for which an unfortunately large number of people apply) - you're German and Spanish, aren't you?

I thought it'd be PPE! Yes :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: so if you want any German practice over MSN or whatnot, feel free :biggrin:

Original post by anyone_can_fly
I'd lose, our school hasn't yet given us our UCAS buzzwords, and it won't til we get back after the summer. Then they'll take weeks to do the reference. It would be quite funny to be the very first applicant. I'm the first person with my initials/surname to sign up (even though I don't have the buzzword to get it) - my username is jr[surname]1. :king1:

Me too!!

I'm the first person with my initials/surname to sign up (even though I don't have the buzzword to get it) - my username is jr[surname]1. :king1:
Me too!!
Same! Although I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only person with my initials/surname that applies this year...
Original post by fluteflute
Same! Although I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only person with my initials/surname that applies this year...

Are you like Greg Xodjfu or something? :tongue:

Are you like Greg Xodjfu or something? :tongue:

If only, that would be rather cool! (Like the X that makes Oxford cool)

I've never come across anyone outside my family with the same surname as me. (Although there is a local family with a "misspelling" of my surname.) So while there's a decent number of us out there, I don't suppose many with my surname will applying this particular year, and the chances that they also have my initials are quite slim.
Original post by Unconventional.
Hey guys. Not sure if I should be posting here about this but oh well...

I'm really scared I'm going to have to just give up on my dream of going to Oxford. I have health issues going on that are really affecting my life. I can't even go to school any more (and throughout the year I've missed at least a third of my lessons). I think I messed up some of my exams because I was sick around the time of them. I wanted to get special considerations but the mentor just wouldn't take me seriously and I didn't have my diagnosis at the time that I went to see her about it. I don't think I will be able to do any work experience this summer at all because of it, even though I intended to and have somewhere that I would probably be able to get a placement at. I want to do law and have no related work experience since I was in year 10, my attendance this year at school has been not great from September - December and then bad from January - April and then really bad from April - June and then generally non-existent for the last few weeks...I haven't had a full day of school in over two weeks. I don't do many extra-curricular things either. Plus some of my health problems may still be around when I go to university and obviously moving away from home and starting uni and stuff can be nerve-wracking for everybody but for me I have extra worries about my health too.

I just feel like my chances of going to Oxford have just faded away over the last few months. This has been such a bad year for me. :frown:

Sorry for the vent :frown:

That totally sucks :console:

I'm very worried also :frown: I have pretty severe anxiety/panic issues (even my therapists gave up on me) which have been apparent for the last 5 or so years. It's mainly affected my social life to a huge extent, rather than my academic life: meaning I've put a lot more 'mental worth' into my academics than is healthy. If I can't have a social life at all, I at least want to succeed academically.
Basically, I've set myself up for a fail and fall into depression again :rolleyes:

Even if I did, by some miracle, get accepted into Oxford I don't even know if I could go. It's enough of the struggle for me to go on the train to Glasgow (30 min journey)... Bleh.

Original post by jbeacom600
Ah, but you shouldn't be reading/preparing for interview just because it's an interview, but because you enjoy it! I understand it wouldn't be nice, but you do have to think about what happens if that event comes.

Nono I'm happy with reading around the subject and suchlike. I just meant more in terms of practicing questions etc.
Original post by LonelySoul193
That totally sucks :console:

I'm very worried also :frown: I have pretty severe anxiety/panic issues (even my therapists gave up on me) which have been apparent for the last 5 or so years. It's mainly affected my social life to a huge extent, rather than my academic life: meaning I've put a lot more 'mental worth' into my academics than is healthy. If I can't have a social life at all, I at least want to succeed academically.
Basically, I've set myself up for a fail and fall into depression again :rolleyes:

Even if I did, by some miracle, get accepted into Oxford I don't even know if I could go. It's enough of the struggle for me to go on the train to Glasgow (30 min journey)... Bleh.

No no no no no no no no no, don't say such things like that :frown: you don't want that whole self-fulfilling prophecy concept to actually happen! If you don't get in then there are so many other wonderful universities out there anyway :smile: and i'm sure once you get to uni then a social life will be easier to get, there'll be far more people who are likely to suit you as a person
and don't you worry, if you get in then i'll be dragging you to Oxford if need be :wink: :biggrin:

Currently should be revising for UKCAT... instead obsessing over Torchwood :biggrin:
If only, that would be rather cool! (Like the X that makes Oxford cool)

I've never come across anyone outside my family with the same surname as me. (Although there is a local family with a "misspelling" of my surname.) So while there's a decent number of us out there, I don't suppose many with my surname will applying this particular year, and the chances that they also have my initials are quite slim.

Being very creepy again, but your last name sounds German. :dontknow:

Feel free to bash my name etymology fails, language applicants. :frown:
Original post by manic_fuzz

Currently should be revising for UKCAT... instead obsessing over Torchwood :biggrin:
I completely forgot that was on! :-o
I completely forgot that was on! :-o

D: QUICK QUICK TO THE TV! :lol: :lol:
Original post by punctuation
Being very creepy again, but your last name sounds German. :dontknow:

Feel free to bash my name etymology fails, language applicants. :frown:

I'm guessing you already enquired after his last name? :lol:

Torchwood? I've never actually watched that show. Any good? I hear it's pretty cheesy at the best of times...lol.

No no no no no no no no no, don't say such things like that :frown: you don't want that whole self-fulfilling prophecy concept to actually happen! If you don't get in then there are so many other wonderful universities out there anyway :smile: and i'm sure once you get to uni then a social life will be easier to get, there'll be far more people who are likely to suit you as a person
and don't you worry, if you get in then i'll be dragging you to Oxford if need be :wink: :biggrin:

LOL I'm sure they would never do that! Language students are lovely people (especially Literature & Language students as I am soon to be one of them!)
I'm guessing you already enquired after his last name? :lol:

Haha well firstly his email (because of the spreadsheet, I'm not stalking him I swear) has his surname as well I'm in the facebook group, which has everyone's full names.

:wink:

Original post by SebCross
Torchwood? I've never actually watched that show. Any good? I hear it's pretty cheesy at the best of times...lol.

If you like Doctor Who you'll probably like Torchwood :biggrin:

By the way, we have a Swede in our midst... Come out, whoever you are...
(edited 12 years ago)
Hello everyone! Thought it was time to stop stalking this lovely thread and actually say something! :biggrin:

Username: DracoDormiens
GCSE: 10A*, 2A
AS: English, RS, History and Psychology
College: St Edmund

Have some pretty decent predictions but I'm in 'DON'T DISTURB ME' stage! XD
Original post by SebCross

I looooooooove Torchwood, and yes, if you like Doctor Who you'll like Torchwood, considering Torchwood is basically a more 'adult' spin-off of Doctor Who

:smile: Can't knock it till you've tried it
Original post by DracoDormiens
Hello everyone! Thought it was time to stop stalking this lovely thread and actually say something! :biggrin:

Username: DracoDormiens
GCSE: 10A*, 2A
AS: English, RS, History and Psychology
College: St Edmund

Have some pretty decent predictions but I'm in 'DON'T DISTURB ME' stage! XD

YAY!!! Hello, how are you? :hi:

What subject are you applying for? :redface:
Original post by punctuation
YAY!!! Hello, how are you? :hi:

What subject are you applying for? :redface:

Wow, hi! :hi:

I am applying for English!! :dance: (I like these Smilies! haha.)

Latest

Trending

Trending