Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamrockiii)
    what time does lse usually send their emails off?
    Im not too sure, seems to be from about 1-4. am considering e-mailing them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB1326)
    Im not too sure, seems to be from about 1-4. am considering e-mailing them
    cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamrockiii)
    actuarial science
    Well good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Weird that LSE didn't give out any offers today? Maybe their collating them all up and sending decisions (offers and rejections) out tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr234)
    Well good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thx.. good luck to u too

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit weird they haven't sent out anything today, and I think last Friday was quiet as well. My 4 +2 weeks emails finished two weeks ago, and it's getting a little bit ridiculous tbh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Econ95)
    Weird that LSE didn't give out any offers today? Maybe their collating them all up and sending decisions (offers and rejections) out tomorrow?
    Or we've all got rejections...

ReputationRep:
    Had enough of this ****

ReputationRep:
    Let's all collectively withdraw our apps now and show this LSE that they are not be all and end all!!!

... and then cry bitter tears until September

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by powelsmartin)
    Hello.

I am new to this forum but I really really need HELP!

I hold offers from Oxford University for PPE and from LSE for Philosophy and Economics and I am having trouble to decide which one of them to select as my firm choice.

My school teachers are pushing me towards Oxford I think because it will look good for Ofsted and I feel like I have gone through a lot of trouble (TSA, interviews, etc) only for Oxford. Also when I was there the town felt enchanted.

But I feel that my heart lies with LSE. These are my reasons:

-The job prospects seem to be much better - the course, despite lacking compulsory politics, looks more interesting and applicable to today.
    -Despite Oxford's magical aura, I think London may be more advantageous at the end of the day - there is more to do on a daily basis and I can find a job more easily, both during my studies if I need to and afterwards.
    -Also I feel that LSE will provide me with a better student experience. Oxford's education from what I heard is overwhelming and you do not have time to enjoy yourself during your studies. The traditional aspect of Oxford (formal hall etc) looks appealing but I have been told that this is only interesting in the beginning.
    -The reputation of LSE is improving and of Oxford diminishing slowly from what I can see. I want to be ahead in life and so maybe LSE will be better for this.

As you can see, I personally prefer LSE but I am having trouble declining Oxford because of the "excitement" created around it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Martin
    There's a lot to reply to here so please bear with me.

Job prospects. Boy does this get me riled up... It depends on you as a person. A degree from either would set you up nicely so it's ridiculous to make your decision based upon anecdotal evidence and those stupid statistics that the Complete University Guide arbitrarily churn out every year. Employers want to employ someone who has a rigorously academic background and both universities do just this. In my opinion (as an Oxford student), Oxford actually benefits you here because we are specifically targeted by all the largest banks and law firms and they are literally tripping over themselves to take us out for dinner and peak our interest in joining their firms.

London is very expensive and the 'magical aura' of the city wears off as fast anywhere else. Be realistic about the type of student life you'll be able to enjoy; drinks in London clubs are about £8 whereas in Oxford they are £3. Cheapest accommodation at UCL is £7,500, for example, whereas in Oxford I play £2,700 a year. Also, you won't need a job here at Oxford as we have the most generous financial support package of any UK university so no-one has to impede their studies.

I have a student life!! I am a member of the Law Society, the History Society, the LGBTQ Society and I write for a fashion magazine and still manage to go clubbing and go for coffee with friends!! Please know that there is always time to fit in any extra activities that you want to do. Do not be dissuaded by rumours or hearsay.

You've been told that formal hall quickly becomes disinteresting? What about matriculation? the balls? Special lectures / performances / addresses in the Sheldonian? This is very person dependant and no other university can provide such a rich backdrop for your studies... LSE has none of this! My college even had the Sultan of Malaysia join us for formal the other night.

Oxford's reputation is diminishing slowly? No. Just no. For the humanities we're ranked above Harvard internationally and far, far, far higher than LSE. We're consistently ranked in the top 5 / 10 in the world (depending on the table) while LSE cannot say the same.

By all means choose LSE, but really think about the real reasons behind your decision. Do not take rumours as proof LSE's superiority!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colourtheory)
    There's a lot to reply to here so please bear with me.

Job prospects. Boy does this get me riled up... It depends on you as a person. A degree from either would set you up nicely so it's ridiculous to make your decision based upon anecdotal evidence and those stupid statistics that the Complete University Guide arbitrarily churn out every year. Employers want to employ someone who has a rigorously academic background and both universities do just this. In my opinion (as an Oxford student), Oxford actually benefits you here because we are specifically targeted by all the largest banks and law firms and they are literally tripping over themselves to take us out for dinner and peak our interest in joining their firms.

London is very expensive and the 'magical aura' of the city wears off as fast anywhere else. Be realistic about the type of student life you'll be able to enjoy; drinks in London clubs are about £8 whereas in Oxford they are £3. Cheapest accommodation at UCL is £7,500, for example, whereas in Oxford I play £2,700 a year. Also, you won't need a job here at Oxford as we have the most generous financial support package of any UK university so no-one has to impede their studies.

I have a student life!! I am a member of the Law Society, the History Society, the LGBTQ Society and I write for a fashion magazine and still manage to go clubbing and go for coffee with friends!! Please know that there is always time to fit in any extra activities that you want to do. Do not be dissuaded by rumours or hearsay.

You've been told that formal hall quickly becomes disinteresting? What about matriculation? the balls? Special lectures / performances / addresses in the Sheldonian? This is very person dependant and no other university can provide such a rich backdrop for your studies... LSE has none of this! My college even had the Sultan of Malaysia join us for formal the other night.

Oxford's reputation is diminishing slowly? No. Just no. For the humanities we're ranked above Harvard internationally and far, far, far higher than LSE. We're consistently ranked in the top 5 / 10 in the world (depending on the table) while LSE cannot say the same.

By all means choose LSE, but really think about the real reasons behind your decision. Do not take rumours as proof LSE's superiority!
    Very biased response. As an apparent Oxford Student, I would've thought that you would have the ability to approach situations more objectively.

But hey, your uni is the best in the world, my uni is the best in the world, Brenda's university is the best in the world and even Sunny Jim attends the best university in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by powelsmartin)
    Hello.

I am new to this forum but I really really need HELP!

I hold offers from Oxford University for PPE and from LSE for Philosophy and Economics and I am having trouble to decide which one of them to select as my firm choice.

My school teachers are pushing me towards Oxford I think because it will look good for Ofsted and I feel like I have gone through a lot of trouble (TSA, interviews, etc) only for Oxford. Also when I was there the town felt enchanted.

But I feel that my heart lies with LSE. These are my reasons:

-The job prospects seem to be much better - the course, despite lacking compulsory politics, looks more interesting and applicable to today.
    -Despite Oxford's magical aura, I think London may be more advantageous at the end of the day - there is more to do on a daily basis and I can find a job more easily, both during my studies if I need to and afterwards.
    -Also I feel that LSE will provide me with a better student experience. Oxford's education from what I heard is overwhelming and you do not have time to enjoy yourself during your studies. The traditional aspect of Oxford (formal hall etc) looks appealing but I have been told that this is only interesting in the beginning.
    -The reputation of LSE is improving and of Oxford diminishing slowly from what I can see. I want to be ahead in life and so maybe LSE will be better for this.

As you can see, I personally prefer LSE but I am having trouble declining Oxford because of the "excitement" created around it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Martin
    Congratulations for getting into both! Ive got an offer from LSE and have firmed my decision but this is for economics rather than politics. I think Oxford is just as incredible for your degree as LSE so when I comes down to it you have to decide where you want to live. London has increible job oppertunites, for example, I work for virgin active and am getting transferred up there. I am also working for the Bank of America this summer and have been told I may be able to work there over the summer in London in the future. It's the access you get that is a benefit for LSE. However, I think employability is the same and student life is what you make it wether you go to LSE or Oxford.
    Well done anyway what an amazing situation to be in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBowcat)
    Very biased response. As an apparent Oxford Student, I would've thought that you would have the ability to approach situations more objectively.

But hey, your uni is the best in the world, my uni is the best in the world, Brenda's university is the best in the world and even Sunny Jim attends the best university in the world.
    sunny jim is a don

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBowcat)

This

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    http://youtu.be/DPC9erC5WqU

GOES IN FULLY

ReputationRep:
    Calm before the storm ladies. Its going to be crazyyyy

ReputationRep:
    Pretty amazing that no one on the thread has got a reply.... its getting late and majority of people havent got a decision. Right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jchap9776)
    I want the squad to start roasting people on this chat again, I miss the beef 😭
    I don't :eek::eek:

ReputationRep:
    Haters gonna hate let em hate. Lol joke. I dont care

ReputationRep:
    If LSE get there dates correct I should hear something from them next week! But this thread isn't filling me with optimism 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.