Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharkystud)
    Maths/Calculus question such as : The population of bacterias doubles every minute, after an hour, how many bacterias are there.. ? Questions like this
    Ah okay, but surely these types of questions aren't actually very mathematical, at least in my opinion they aren't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hobes1)
    Where is your offer?
    BAML

(Original post by MathsNerd1)
    Ah okay, but surely these types of questions aren't actually very mathematical, at least in my opinion they aren't.
    What would you consider it?

2^59, should give the answer, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonynous)
    BAML
    Nice! What was the interview like, if you don't mind, technical or more competency based?

ReputationRep:
    Nice! What was the interview like, if you don't mind, technical or more competency based?
    Purely competency/motivational.

MS is technical/commercial awareness/competency however.

ReputationRep:
    Purely competency/motivational.

MS is technical/commercial awareness/competency however.
    Interesting! Thanks man, congrats on offer!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    What would you consider it?

2^59, should give the answer, no?
    I would just say they take some simple and logical thinking really and I can't say what the answer would be as we've not been told how many bacteria we start with

ReputationRep:
    Interesting! Thanks man, congrats on offer!
    Thanks, how are your applications coming along?

ReputationRep:
    I would just say they take some simple and logical thinking really and I can't say what the answer would be as we've not been told how many bacteria we start with
    Good point.

But how do you really show logical thinking, if all you're doing is doubling each period for 60 periods.

Unless your mental arithmetic is on point, you would need a calculator for efficiency purposes.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, how are your applications coming along?
    Good so far! Nomura offer, RBS interview, few Rejections. Haven't heard back from many still - probably won't now until January I would think?

ReputationRep:
    Good so far! Nomura offer, RBS interview, few Rejections. Haven't heard back from many still - probably won't now until January I would think?
    Sweet well done. Nomura are yet to get back to me. Yeah hoping to hear from places again in January.

What's your profile, out of curiousity.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Good point.

But how do you really show logical thinking, if all you're doing is doubling each period for 60 periods.

Unless your mental arithmetic is on point, you would need a calculator for efficiency purposes.
    Well for this question it's not that difficult, I suppose explaining your process of how to get the answer is what they're looking for. I doubt they'd want the actual number, though it is possible to work it out

ReputationRep:
    Sweet well done. Nomura are yet to get back to me. Yeah hoping to hear from places again in January.

What's your profile, out of curiousity.
    Unconventional :P - Non Target - But good ECs with quite a few internships at BBs, WM and PE firms, Bloomberg Campus Ambassador, a few fast tracks from a level programs and some other things which add to profile :P
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Good point.

How would you solve this one? Spoiler your answer just in case others want to give it a shot.

You have two fuses which will each take an hour to burn completely when lit. However, the fuses do not burn evenly along their respective lengths. So if they are lit and are half burned, you cannot assume that 30 minutes has passed. How do you use the fuses to time 45 minutes?

ReputationRep:
    What style is Blackrocks numerical test? SHL, Kenexa or TalentQ?

ReputationRep:
    How would you solve this one? Spoiler your answer just in case others want to give it a shot.

You have two fuses which will each take an hour to burn completely when lit. However, the fuses do not burn evenly along their respective lengths. So if they are lit and are half burned, you cannot assume that 30 minutes has passed. How do you use the fuses to time 45 minutes?
    Oooo this one requires some thought. I don't see how it's logically possible though, if we aren't given the ratio of burn time for the different areas of the fuse?

Could you possibly offer a clue. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelion0)
    What style is Blackrocks numerical test? SHL, Kenexa or TalentQ?
    SHL, I've heard.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Oooo this one requires some thought. I don't see how it's logically possible though, if we aren't given the ratio of burn time for the different areas of the fuse?
    I'll give you some more time to think about it before I PM you the answer

Some more if you can't get that one.

You have 5 pots of coins. One of the pots contains only fake coins. The normal coins weigh 10 grams. The fake coins weigh 9 grams. You are given a weighing scales (one you would use to weigh yourself, not a balancing scales) and allowed to make only one measurement. How do you determine which pot contains the fake coins?
    This was asked by DB

You are blindfolded and sit in front of a table. On the table are many coins, 10 of which have heads facing up. How do you split the group of coins into two groups such that the same number of coins are heads-up in each group? You don’t know how many coins there are and you can’t tell which side is facing up in any way.
    This was asked by JP and GS

ReputationRep:

Could you possibly offer a clue. :rolleyes:
    Think of a rope rather than fuse. Not sure you could actually do what the answer requires with a fuse...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'll give you some more time to think about it before I PM you the answer
    I think I got it. Although, I don't know much on the limitations of how I could've gone about answering the question. What are the limitations?

I've got an answer in word.

The only logical explanation I can think is by using one fuse to find a specific period of time but to do that, I'd have to burn it in half the time which would mean lighting it from 2 sides. Because if I did that it would leave me with a convinient solution to find 45 minutes, but that's the max.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I think I got it. Although, I don't know much on the limitations of how I could've gone about answering the question. What are the limitations?

I've got an answer in word
    Send me your answer and I'll see if it's the way I have in mind

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.