Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wightwight)
    Many thanks - I appear to be very late in the day. Anyone else got FSAC still to go?
    Yes! But I am applying for the stats fast stream. Have the Stats assessment centre next Friday then my FSAC some time afterwards (date unknown) assuming I actually get through!😓

ReputationRep:
    I also got one of these emails about the commercial, internal audit and finance streams - I'd be really interested to know how many people received it. My score wasn't particularly good though (15.75) so I'm not sure what the cut off would be...

ReputationRep:
    That's a decent enough score (maybe would have been high enough for HR stream)? I scored 15.69 so guess it just depends on number of places and how many scored in the high 15s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wightwight)
    Many thanks - I appear to be very late in the day. Anyone else got FSAC still to go?
    Yes, HR FSAC July 7, they gave me that date after passing the e-tray in early May. When is yours? Probably will not be able to take the job this year, even if I made it through, due to other commitments. But think it might be good to go for a trial run in case I decided to apply again :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fivetotwelve)
    Yes, HR FSAC July 7, they gave me that date after passing the e-tray in early May. When is yours? Probably will not be able to take the job this year, even if I made it through, due to other commitments. But think it might be good to go for a trial run in case I decided to apply again :-)
    Hi FivetoTwelve - I'm deaf so have to go for an orientation meeting at the FSAC first on 22nd June. I had my etray invigilated in London last week on Wednesday - found out I passed the next day. This process takes forever - I'm worried I'm turning down other opportunities in waiting for the FS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeschylus)
    I would phone before and 'lay the groundwork' as it were. Just scout out what wiggle room they have.
    They said I should wait until I've got my results, and then if I don't get the 2:1, then I would need evidence from a tutor or professional stating that I would have been expected to get a 2:1 otherwise, and then they *may* still allow onto the scheme, which gives me hope of some sort!

Thanks for the idea, it's much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roeslein)
    I just did the e-Tray and I think I completely bombed it - finished with 25 minutes left which I'm pretty sure means I responded too fast and should have double-checked more things. I really didn't feel confident about my responses. Anyone knows what percentage of people gets eliminated at the e-Tray stage for analytical streams (so post analytical AC)? I don't understand why they don't do the e-Tray before inviting people over for the AC and paying their hotel - surely that would be cheaper?
    Hi,

I've been wondering the same thing, I somehow managed to pass the statistics AC but now have the etray to do. There was some speculation earlier on this forum that for the analytical stream they only assess the written part as part of the FSAC and not the first part but I've no idea if that's true or not! Did anyone every get to the bottom of that?The only info I can find about percentage of people who get through each stage is from 2009 and 2010. according to the reports, everyone passed etray on the statistics stream in 2009 and in 2010 all but one person passed https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...tream-2010.pdf
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...nal-tables.pdf

It does seem like a waste of money to sift people out on etray after bringing us in for the half day assessment!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schiedam1234)
    Hi,

I've been wondering the same thing, I somehow managed to pass the statistics AC but now have the etray to do. There was some speculation earlier on this forum that for the analytical stream they only assess the written part as part of the FSAC and not the first part but I've no idea if that's true or not! Did anyone every get to the bottom of that?The only info I can find about percentage of people who get through each stage is from 2009 and 2010. according to the reports, everyone passed etray on the statistics stream in 2009 and in 2010 all but one person passed https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...tream-2010.pdf
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...nal-tables.pdf

It does seem like a waste of money to sift people out on etray after bringing us in for the half day assessment!
    Well, turns out I was successful for the e-Tray, if that helps, and I really don't think I performed particularly well, so I wouldn't worry too much - the bar must be relatively low. I still don't understand why they don't make us do it before the SAC though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roeslein)
    Well, turns out I was successful for the e-Tray, if that helps, and I really don't think I performed particularly well, so I wouldn't worry too much - the bar must be relatively low. I still don't understand why they don't make us do it before the SAC though.
    I believe it is very recently that they started making those on the analytical scheme do the e-tray. In previous years analysts had to sit a further written exercise (second part of the e-tray) immediately after their FSAC; however, they felt this was unfair after such a long day and decided to make everyone do it independently through the e-tray.

ReputationRep:
    Does no one apply for the finance and audit schemes then if they are trying to give them away? Haha! That's the one I applied for, thought also was interested in digital and tech but I think they were ones that couldn't both be applied for

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how much spelling is taken into account on the e-tray exercise? I got timed out before I managed to finish the spell check and there were a lot of errors left- oops!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schiedam1234)
    Does anyone know how much spelling is taken into account on the e-tray exercise? I got timed out before I managed to finish the spell check and there were a lot of errors left- oops!
    I distinctly remember reading on the screen that spelling is NOT assessed as long as what you write is legible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weeknd)
    How should I try to improve my score in numerical tests? I got an A in GCSE maths but i'm doing really badly in practice tests and I end up giving up
    It's certainly no harder than GCSE maths. What it does require, though, is good verbal skills and you really have to understand what they are asking you for. The calculations themselves are mostly very simple - percentages and such the like, however there is often 2 or 3 calculations per answer.

I would suggest relaxing and READING the information thoroughly and making sure you really grasp what it is they are asking for. Then you can work out which bits of the data you will need in order to work out each answer. You do need to work quickly though, so fast reading and comprehension skills are required. However, you do not need to finish all the questions within the time limit. It's very unlikely that you could do so!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weeknd)
    I was reading through some other posts on TSR and people seemed to be implying that it's better to miss out questions at the end if running out of time rather than simply guessing. Do you know if this is true?
    I couldn't say for sure - I'm not aware of whether you get marked down for a wrong answer, as opposed to just not getting scored (though I'd hope not!)

What I would say is don't waste your time trying to work out a question that you don't understand. Go to the next one as chances are you'll be fine with that one. I would skip rather than guess myself though.

ReputationRep:
    Just got an offer for Commercial Fast Stream today so check your inboxes if you were on a waiting list

ReputationRep:
    Me too!Can you get into the attachment?

ReputationRep:
    Haven't heard anything regarding my application for commercial in London. Going to have to concede defeat I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,
    made it through the etray but I'm worried I did poorly in the written part at the end of the exercise.

could anyone tell me how much of the FSAC is accounted for by the written exercise during the etray?

Is it possible to still pass the FSAC with a poor score in the etray written exercise?
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Right odd question so grateful to any respondees, had fsac went quite well barre nondecision in group stage which think i potentially clawed back later in policy - however, i was sure my fs app was initially submitted for hr round 2 but now realise it says commercial - is it possible they have switched me without realising, or if this is an error on my part is it worth contacting parity to ask about any possibilities of switching should i succeed? ( i understand assessments practically identical so may be a case of any hr need at this point?) all ideas welcome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pw2)
    Right odd question so grateful to any respondees, had fsac went quite well barre nondecision in group stage which think i potentially clawed back later in policy - however, i was sure my fs app was initially submitted for hr round 2 but now realise it says commercial - is it possible they have switched me without realising, or if this is an error on my part is it worth contacting parity to ask about any possibilities of switching should i succeed? ( i understand assessments practically identical so may be a case of any hr need at this point?) all ideas welcome!
    You need to contact them to ask. It could be a computer glitch but I'm sure they wouldn't have changed you without asking. I wouldn't just let this slide - each stream is looking for different things and have a different FSAC pass mark so it's not worth the risk.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.