Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doublecc123)
    6a* 5a at gcse
    as - 4 A and a B
    predicted - A*AAA
    I've got offers from Nottingham, York and uea and waiting on just Bath now haven't decided on which uni to firm yet...what do you think? Nottingham or york?
    What are your stats like? Where have you got offers from?
    Notts so we can hang out in September

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fha96)
    Yeah I'm planning on reading over the economics syllabus to catch up with other people who have studied it. Also LSE did email me to say that if I can do the full A Level in Further Maths in my gap year then it would make me a strong candidate, but since I have an offer from UCL I don't think its worth taking a whole year out just for LSE, which is marginally better. Oxbridge on the other hand is obviously a completely different story. The only thing putting me off reapplying to Oxford is the fact that only 8% of applicants get offers, so I dont want to end up taking a gap year just to end up wasting it. Bare decisions fam:/
    I'd say LSE is on a par with Oxbridge; one level above UCL.
    If you think you can do well studying it on your own then I'd go for the gap year and get the FM A-level. Make sure you know how hard it is and that you can achieve this though.
    Doing so would make your application so strong I'd back you to get offers from 2 or more of LSE/Oxbridge/UCL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Notts so we can hang out in September

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Where else have you applied and where have you got offers from? What are your stats like if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fha96)
    Yeah I'm planning on reading over the economics syllabus to catch up with other people who have studied it. Also LSE did email me to say that if I can do the full A Level in Further Maths in my gap year then it would make me a strong candidate, but since I have an offer from UCL I don't think its worth taking a whole year out just for LSE, which is marginally better. Oxbridge on the other hand is obviously a completely different story. The only thing putting me off reapplying to Oxford is the fact that only 8% of applicants get offers, so I dont want to end up taking a gap year just to end up wasting it. Bare decisions fam:/
    If I was in your position I would take UCL. Yes, LSE and Oxbridge may be better for economics but UCL is not that far behind at ALL. If you look at employment opportunities, UCL is up there and sometimes even higher than Oxbridge especially for IB/finance if that's what you want to go into( LinkedIn do a really good ranking system for this) UCL is such a good university and has the best of both worlds in terms of student life and academia. Also there is no guarantee you will get into Oxbridge or LSE even if you do do the FM. I have an offer from LSE for L101 with no FM as or a2 and there have been lots of candidates rejected from LSE L101 with A/A*'s in FM therefore it shows although FM May strengthen your application, it is not way the golden ticket if you get what I'm saying? Obviously it's completely your decision and I wish you the best of luck in deciding

EDIT: Unless I am hugely impressed with LSE at their open day, I will be firming UCL :P

ReputationRep:
    6a* 5a at gcse
    as - 4 A and a B
    predicted - A*AAA
    I've got offers from Nottingham, York and uea and waiting on just Bath now haven't decided on which uni to firm yet...what do you think? Nottingham or york?
    It seems like nobody is getting offers if they didn't have 4A's... And people that do still aren't getting offers?! This is madness...

I got AAAB but predicted A*A*A*...

Waiting to hear from Warwick.. They're taking their time :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ndhala)
    It seems like nobody is getting offers if they didn't have 4A's... And people that do still aren't getting offers?! This is madness...

I got AAAB but predicted A*A*A*...

Waiting to hear from Warwick.. They're taking their time :/
    Good luck! I hope you get an offer would warwick be your firm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fha96)
    Does anyone here know of anyone who's ever received an offer for economics from Oxbridge or LSE, without having studied both further maths and economics at A Level? I'm thinking of reapplying after a gap year but whichuni stats say that of all the successful Cambridge applicants last year, 93% did A Level economics and 62% did FM so I dunno if it's worth the risk, since I study neither of them.
    defo go to UCL, the difference is pretty minimal and you will have most of the same opportunities as LSE/oxbridge students.
    Also, doing 2 A levels in your gap year sounds like gap year sounds like effort, but im just pretty lazy haha. A year of your life is so long, and i would not say worth it for the potential payoff (which is small)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Where else have you applied and where have you got offers from? What are your stats like if you don't mind me asking?
    I'm doing Comp Sci but alas:

Scottish Standard grades: 3 1s and 5 2s

Higher: ABBCC (extenuating circumstances)

Advanced Higher + Higher predicted: AAAB

Extra: Startup Accelerator at MIT, Web dev business, Investing/trading, Gold at DofE, Gold STEM Crest award, MUN.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fha96)
    Reckon Oxford is easier to get into than cambridge

ReputationRep:
    6a* 5a at gcse
    as - 4 A and a B
    predicted - A*AAA
    If no offer from Warwick,I'd choose Notts.I am considering it to be my insurance and firm too

ReputationRep:
    Rejected from L100 at Warwick today.

GCSE - 5A* 4A and 1B

AS- AAAAB
    A2 Predictions- A*AA (Politics, Maths, Physics)

Resitting C3 and C4 to get an A in A2 Maths (did it a year early).

I'm pretty annoyed at waiting this long to have a rejection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis7253)
    Rejected from L100 at Warwick today.

GCSE - 5A* 4A and 1B

AS- AAAAB
    A2 Predictions- A*AA (Politics, Maths, Physics)

Resitting C3 and C4 to get an A in A2 Maths (did it a year early).

I'm pretty annoyed at waiting this long to have a rejection.
    Just wondering, did your college/sixth form offer economics as a subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midgemeister7)
    Just wondering, did your college/sixth form offer economics as a subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes but I was not really interested in doing economics at university until mid way through the second year. So I picked History at AS instead.

I think its completely unfair to reject people who haven't picked Economics or Further Maths because not everyone decides what they want to do at the start of college/sixth form

ReputationRep:
    Rejection from Warwick

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham or Queen Mary for firm? Now Warwick is out of the equation
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham or Queen Mary for firm? Now Warwick is out of the equation
    This is an easy decision..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone likely to insure Bristol? My offer is AAB and firm offer is A*AAa so Bristol would be a safe option...

ReputationRep:
    Yes but I was not really interested in doing economics at university until mid way through the second year. So I picked History at AS instead.

I think its completely unfair to reject people who haven't picked Economics or Further Maths because not everyone decides what they want to do at the start of college/sixth form
    It's a tough one, so long as the subject choice is completely transferable eg history maths English physics I would agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr234)
    Anyone likely to insure Bristol? My offer is AAB and firm offer is A*AAa so Bristol would be a safe option...
    I am

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aso816)
    I am
    Ah awesome What's your firm choice?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.