Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

Just a quick question regarding the literacy and numeracy skills test for anyone who's already sat them, are they anything like the practice papers that are available on their website? I've had a go at them and seem to be doing alright so I hope this is the case, but so far at tests I've sat at University interviews I've been no good and they weren't anything like the tests

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dani.california)
    Hi everyone!

Just a quick question regarding the literacy and numeracy skills test for anyone who's already sat them, are they anything like the practice papers that are available on their website? I've had a go at them and seem to be doing alright so I hope this is the case, but so far at tests I've sat at University interviews I've been no good and they weren't anything like the tests
    Hi!!

I sat my Literacy Skills test end of last year and I would say it's like the practice ones online! I passed mine first time

Haven't done my Numeracy one yet!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissBunny)
    Hi all! Good luck with the applications

I'm applying for a Primary PGCE - first choice is MMU, then Cumbria Uni (did my undergrad here) but not sure about others yet. Mainly looking at North West area.

Started looking at examples of personal statements as well as write some notes for my own - no sentences yet. Anyone know when the UCAS goes live?

Experience wise, I'm contacting schools next week. But a local primary school advertises for graduates to help out and get work experience so fingers crossed they have space for me! MMU wants 3 weeks experience, which could be problematic as I work full time. I think I'm going to take off a mixture of paid and unpaid holiday. :/ Not ideal but needs to happen.

Been brushing up on my maths skills for the QTS skills test currently - know I need some serious revision - fun times!
    Hi! Did you apply for MMU yet? By the time I gained experience and had my references complete they ran out of vacancies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blobby1759)
    Hi!!

I sat my Literacy Skills test end of last year and I would say it's like the practice ones online! I passed mine first time

Haven't done my Numeracy one yet!!
    Would you say the real thing is easier than the government practice ones? I have heard they are and I have heard they're not. I have mine in three weeks. More nervous about literacy to be honest. If you want some maths advice look out on YouTube for GA numerical. I paid for his learner pack and it is pretty spot on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone applied for UEL PGCE secondary d+t ?

ReputationRep:
    No one seems to have applied for secondary design technology on here! Got interviews at all three choices this month anyone else??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashleyclaire)
    Just found out I'll be doing my PGCE at Homerton in Cambridge

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just found out the same!

I really hope they continue doing the Harry Potter formals next year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aemiliana)
    I just found out the same!

I really hope they continue doing the Harry Potter formals next year!
    I'm pretty sure they will I saw a picture, and they have wall hangings and everything!
    Now we just have to wait until September...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zaibaa)
    Exciting!! I have a place at Worcester - my first choice, thankfully. I can't wait, how about you?
    I'm thinking maybe St Hugh's or Keble but it's so hard to decide. I'm not going to apply for accommodation so at least that takes looking at food quality out of the picture I'm more interested in social activities and libraries. We can get our own PGCE Oxford page up and running soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amanda2292)
    I've submitted an application for Secondary Science Chemistry and just booked my numeracy test for tomorrow. Does it matter to Uni's how high you score or does it just need to be above 63%?? ... I'm in 78% so with the very last practice test i've done.
    where did u find these practice questions if you dont mine me asking ive been looing everywhere for online practice tests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arwa44)
    where did u find these practice questions if you dont mine me asking ive been looing everywhere for online practice tests.
    http://sta.education.gov.uk/professi...lls-tests#PT72

Login page: (you need the code from the above page to register)
    https://practice.skillstestbooking.c...estbooking.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChancedTravels)
    I've accepted a position in an independent school as a TA with good potential to do ITT in house in a couple of years, and gained a place on an MA in Modern Literature at my current university, so have declined my PGCE place at UCL...

Best of luck to all of you - I'm sure you will all be fabulous teachers!!
    All the best! you'll be happy you followed your heart.

ReputationRep:
    Is anybody doing Psychology? Where is everyone hiding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Findlay6)
    Is anybody doing Psychology? Where is everyone hiding
    Don't worry they do exist, its the same with design and tech and also computer science.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going to University of Wolverhampton?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlantVZombie)
    Would you say the real thing is easier than the government practice ones? I have heard they are and I have heard they're not. I have mine in three weeks. More nervous about literacy to be honest. If you want some maths advice look out on YouTube for GA numerical. I paid for his learner pack and it is pretty spot on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The actual test was no harder than the practices! That I can say at least - I'm not sure I can really say it was easier, and the spellings were mostly ones which I had not used in a good few years, but with the aid of the practices I felt in quite good stead when sitting the exams.

I was more nervous about literacy, and it took me almost all of the time available, but I think that it is key to do the tests slow and steady so you don't lose marks making silly mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monty21)
    Hey guys. Has anyone done their literally skills test? If so how did you find it?
    I completed my literacy skills test this morning and passed first time. Only revised for a week, it really wasn't that bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dani.california)
    Hi everyone!

Yes, Ive passed both mine in the last three weeks and found the DfE tests are very similar. I only used them to help me pass.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all those still to take the prof skills tests...
    Having just taken and passed numeracy (yesterday) I can confirm that the official online practice papers are more or less the same as the actual test you get.
    I also found really useful worksheets for numeracy at ...
    http://www.reading.ac.uk/internal/ma...hops.aspx?#QTS

I found them really useful. Good luck all. 👍

ReputationRep:
    I'm late to the party I think but I submitted my application for Secondary Computer Science!

Fingers crossed. The wait is going to be dreadful

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.