The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kiwifruit99
Which mock did you get it in?

No thats my official score took the test today. But i took it as a practice fir next year will be getting a months worth of modify next year though. I won't be able to apply anywhere with that score.
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
For verbal reasoning, there are the type 2 questions (4 options). Does anyone know what % of these will be the longer ones (i.e. What does the author think, which one of these statements is most likely to be true/false)? Because some, if they are about a specific topic, i find are scannable i.e. We cannot travel to mercury because... However, for the ones listed above i find you have to essentially find 4 pieces of information within 30 seconds, which is almost impossible unless you get very lucky.

Hey there,

I have not taken the test but I do face the exact same problem as you. Firstly, there won't be many T/F/CT questions in the exam. We will be lucky if we get more than 3/4 stems in the real thing.

Majority of the VR questions that we will face are comprehension questions. But only a fraction of the comprehension questions don't have a keyword in the main question such as 'which of the following statements are true?'. I have counted these types of questions in the official mocks and these style of questions only represent approx. 8 of the 44 questions. So I am planning to triage these questions to be more efficient because it is just wasting time looking at each statement for a particular keyword(they are also overrepresented in the Medify mocks:?)

Does anyone think this is a sensible idea? to triage these?

Good Luck to us all
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gogregg
Taking it as a practice? Are you applying next year?

If you're not, you can't take it twice in one application cycle...

Im applying for 2018, I'm a mature student so hopefully will be doing an access course from next September in manchester or Liverpool but wanted to take the UKCAT this year just to familiarise my self. However may take the BMAT too this november.

I went back to college last year and just got 4 GCSEs this year so I am doing Maths and couple of others this year so QR was weak in the exam. Im wanting to do dentistry so may need 7 gcses in total :smile:
Original post by Maw1979
How did everyone find UKCAT mock A. Especially in comparison to the actual exam.
I got 630 in VR, 700 in AR but only 530 in QR.

I know the reason for my poor score in QR. I didn't flag, guess and move on in difficult questions and i had major problems understanding two of the tables. I wasted ALOT of time trying to study the tables and not just guessing and moving on. Because of this i found myself totally guessing the last 10 questions. My exam is not he 8th so it can only get getter and i can learn from mistakes.

How is the actual QR in the exam in comparison to the UKCAT mock tests and practice questions on their website.

Thanks.

I think people have been saying the QR in their exam was much easier than the mocks
Original post by AMG2013
I'm planning on applying to Glasgow this year, a UKCAT heavy uni, but my score was really quite poor.

I wondered if everyone who is planning on applying to Glasgow can post their scores here so we can all get an idea of where we are at. Can do this in a seperately comment for other unis too. I know it won't be totally representative but can maybe help some of us who are a little worried (or maybe it will make it worse, let's see 😕)

660 band 1. What about you?
I'm using medify for UKCAT revision and QR is so bad for me. My scores are pretty bad for QR and its bringing my overall score down :frown:
Any tips?
Original post by saran23
Hey there,

I have not taken the test but I do face the exact same problem as you. Firstly, there won't be many T/F/CT questions in the exam. We will be lucky if we get more than 3/4 stems in the real thing.

Majority of the VR questions that we will face are comprehension questions. But only a fraction of the comprehension questions don't have a keyword in the main question such as 'which of the following statements are true?'. I have counted these types of questions in the official mocks and these style of questions only represent approx. 8 of the 44 questions. So I am planning to triage these questions to be more efficient because it is just wasting time looking at each statement for a particular keyword(they are also overrepresented in the Medify mocks:?)

Does anyone think this is a sensible idea? to triage these?

Good Luck to us all

Yeah, seems like a good idea. I might try this: If i see a harder type 2 question, i will try to complete the easier type 2 questions on that passage. Then, i will take a look again. If nothing clicks i will just guess and skip - be it an educated guess. I kinda hope that i might stumble across the answer when doing the others, but if not its not a problem.

Its a shame the ukcat essentially comes down to luck sometimes :frown:
Hi, my UKCAT is tomorrow I did the medify mocks and I got:

770 VR
750 QR
750 AR
SJ band 1
Do you think this is representative of the real thing?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hopefulmedic04
660 band 1. What about you?

623 band 1 :frown:

Thinking il just apply next year and redo the UKCAT because it's well below par.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pooji11
I'm using medify for UKCAT revision and QR is so bad for me. My scores are pretty bad for QR and its bringing my overall score down :frown:
Any tips?

QR was by far my best subtest. Got 890/900 for it n the real exam this year. Honestly with QR, often use estimates, or you will never get close to finishing (at least that's how it was for me). Also, learn a few 'tricks' in mathematics that help reduce time. For example, if everything has a 10% discount instead of calculating 90% value for all items and then adding it up, add it up first and then find 90% of that. There is often a shorter method to the question, but it might not be obvious, especially if the question seems absurdly long.
Original post by AMG2013
623 band 1 :frown:

Thinking il just apply next year and redo the UKCAT because it's well below par.

Honestly, you might as well just apply this year. Just be careful to apply where you can be accepted.
Hey guys! Did mine yesterday! Got 690 as average but Band 3 in SJT 🙁🙁
VR 540
QR 847
AR 690
SJT Band 3 🙁
Please can anyone help me in guiding the Uni options (esp with my band 3). Don't want to do BMAT as I can't go through the stress again!
Reply 3232
Hi guys. Just wanted to ask how representative the kaplan mocks in respect to the real thing. Some of the questions, especially on the later mocks are quite hard. How did these compare to the real thing?
Original post by RKM21
Hi guys. Just wanted to ask how representative the kaplan mocks in respect to the real thing. Some of the questions, especially on the later mocks are quite hard. How did these compare to the real thing?

I've not done them yet but my friends said it was representative for QR and AR they said VR was a little harder in the real exam and SJ was a little easier (as in they were a bit more sure of their responses).. but it varies between people!

I'll let you know next week. Did you get the extra three mocks?
Original post by manlike99
It doesn't count to your score. I did about 3 weeks

So the section still comes up in the exam? I don't see why it would if there's no score for it. :s-smilie:

Cool. How did you do?
Original post by champ_mc99
So the section still comes up in the exam? I don't see why it would if there's no score for it. :s-smilie:

Cool. How did you do?

It is being piloted, so they're seeing how people do on it so they will be able to score it next year, but also to decide whether it is too easy/difficult I think.
Original post by Gogregg
It is being piloted, so they're seeing how people do on it so they will be able to score it next year, but also to decide whether it is too easy/difficult I think.

I don't know anyone who's taken the section seriously..
Probably only people who run UKCAT courses may have.
It's not even printed on our sheets so...
Original post by Picturesque2016
Hey guys! Did mine yesterday! Got 690 as average but Band 3 in SJT 🙁🙁
VR 540
QR 847
AR 690
SJT Band 3 🙁
Please can anyone help me in guiding the Uni options (esp with my band 3). Don't want to do BMAT as I can't go through the stress again!

Manchester aren't looking at SJT! And your ukcat should be enough for Manchester but of course you never know until November. Your ukcat should be alright for Liverpool too ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaela__
Manchester aren't looking at SJT! And your ukcat should be enough for Manchester but of course you never know until November. Your ukcat should be alright for Liverpool too ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, that's a relief! Do I stand a chance for Kings (that's my dream Uni)?
Original post by Picturesque2016
Thanks, that's a relief! Do I stand a chance for Kings (that's my dream Uni)?

I haven't looked into Kings for myself properly, however I know that they don't value the UKCAT as much as other uni's :smile: so just find out about whether they require a certain band as I'm not sure on that part sorry. SGUL don't use SJT either but they need 500+ each section of the UKCAT so as long as you meet that and their min GCSE points then you should be fine :smile: Newcastle don't use SJT but they need a very high ukcat and obviously we have no idea of their cut off score yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending