Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For those who secured pupillage - what are your plans from now until your pupillage start date? - Travelling, working etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HolidayTime)
    Rejections for reserves of 1 Pump Court out.

Bit off topic but has anyone ever run into an attendance problem on the BPTC by being late for more than 10% or know how strict they are in excusing this?
    At least at my provider, they were not strict at all about the attendance requirement. I definitely missed more than that (for good reason, but still!) and it was never an issue. I hope this helps

ReputationRep:

Bit off topic but has anyone ever run into an attendance problem on the BPTC by being late for more than 10% or know how strict they are in excusing this?
    I'd be careful. Sometimes the BSB do check. If you're in a year when they do check at your provider, you might run into serious problems unless you have a cast iron (e.g. medical) excuse.

There's a distinction to be made between being late and not turning up. You are required to be present for 90% of the time (and I believe you have to have an excuse even if you miss 10% - e.g. mini pupillage). If you're 5 minutes late every time, you'll annoy your teachers but probably get away with it and it won't count as an absence. But if you're later than that, you might risk them refusing you admittance so that you're counted as absent for that class.

ReputationRep:
    Regarding attendance on the BPTC - thanks for the replies everyone. My brain is a hot mess today and I wrote 'late' when I meant 'absent' but those replies are helpful. Essentially I missed a little over ten percent and now have to justify all my absences!
    Good luck with pupillage, next year if not this year - and as someone else said, I'm sure everyone who was waiting for a second round has the skills to do well at whatever they end up turning their mind and career to

ReputationRep:

As has been pointed out by sunburnt_note the main distinction is between being absent and being late. I've found that if you are 10-15 minutes late you can usually get away with it, providing you don't just saunter in with no reason. However if you are so late that you have essentially missed the majority of the class you will be marked as absent i.e. they aren't as strict as they say in the introductory sessions when I think they try and scare you a bit! For example because I do the course on weekends and I travel in I am fairly frequently 10 -15 mins late for reasons that are pretty well out of my control (delayed trains/tube and transport not being frequent on a weekend) and this is understood. This is also just at the beginning of the day so I am not late to all the other classes that day.

Basically it probably depends on a lot of factors such as how well you get on with your tutors and your reasons and frequency of lateness, but I haven't found them to be overly strict on this.

ReputationRep:
    Regarding attendance on the BPTC - thanks for the replies everyone. My brain is a hot mess today and I wrote 'late' when I meant 'absent' but those replies are helpful. Essentially I missed a little over ten percent and now have to justify all my absences!
    Eek! Who has asked for this - your provider or the BSB?

I don't think they're that lenient in the excuses for absences over 10%. It might be worth reading the relevant rule (4.10.3) of the Handbook:*https://www.barstandardsboard.org.uk...ok_2013-14.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Day 5 in reservegatory. Losing grip on reality. Send help.

Solidarity to others in this situation :console:

ReputationRep:
    If it helps, the option to accept offers on gateway isn't working but it may be changed internally by the chambers so perhaps some people just haven't called up chambers to follow up acceptance or rejection whilst they wait for gateway to work?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just reading this thread, without having put in applications this year, gives me sweaty palms.

Sending positive vibes to all reserves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Archimus)
    PG question if I may. Chambers have asked me to accept an offer through the PG, but my PG just says "offer" then "view application" and "withdraw application". Has anyone had this problem? How do I accept through Gateway? I'd sooner not call chambers again unless strictly necessary.
    Applicants cannot 'accept' offers on PG. Chambers are able to confirm an acceptance on their side of PG, though.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Still. A. Reserve.

ReputationRep:
    Still waiting for GLS Verbal Reasoning Results.

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody heard from Westgate Chambers or still waiting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bar Applicant)
    Has anyone had a definitive answer from Farringdon?
    Doing a mini with a barrister from them now and she said they can't get an interview panel together until September so it won't be until then. They only do one round of interviews.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know anything further from Nexus or has heard back from 4KBW Lawrence Power?

ReputationRep:
    Any news re. Staple Inn Chambers?

ReputationRep:
    GLS Critical Thinking Test invites out

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

How would one answer a mini app question such as Why are you intrested in xyz chambers? How detailed/specefic should I be? Anyone able to advise me with the structure of my answer aswell

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxblue)
    Hi,

How would one answer a mini app question such as Why are you intrested in xyz chambers? How detailed/specefic should I be? Anyone able to advise me with the structure of my answer aswell

thanks in advance
    Presumably you must have some kind of answer to "why are you interested in xyz chambers" if you are considering applying to them for a mini-pupillage? It doesn't have to be a lengthy answer - mine were usually only 3-4 sentences.

ReputationRep:
    I am informed that David Norman Solicitors interview invites out by letter.*

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.