Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is going to sound very pessimistic I think, but how long does it take to do the EPQ? Baring in mind that I know my question, it's been verified by my teachers as having potential. While I've done no work, I know what subheadings I should use, but have done no research yet...

I ask this because I decided not to do it over the summer, not realising that my college teachers are setting the deadline for October 10th (so they can mark them all- lots of people at my college are doing it).

4 weeks - is that enough time? How many hours per week would need to be dedicated to it? I only want advice as I know I've left it last, but I've just got a new job and started college too, and not sure if I'll be able to balance the time with such short notice... Any help appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Quick question to all EPQers, how much time are you expected to spend on the EPQ over the summer holidays researching and assimilating your EPQ? Is it seriously near the 120 hour mark that I've heard being thrown around?

Just asking because 3/4 hours of work per day in my summer holidays hardly sounds appealing :P

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)
    Quick question to all EPQers, how much time are you expected to spend on the EPQ over the summer holidays researching and assimilating your EPQ? Is it seriously near the 120 hour mark that I've heard being thrown around?

Just asking because 3/4 hours of work per day in my summer holidays hardly sounds appealing :P

Cheers.
    If you finish it it less time, then don't bother wasting time on it? I thought that was just an example
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by imaginarysally)
    Anyone know what a fair maximum length is? Need a target for the editing process.
    About 6,000 words I'd say.

ReputationRep:
    I really need some help! Our EPQ is compulsory; we haven't been taught anything though. Could you please answer a few questions for me?
    1. Is the EPQ supposed to be a question and then you answer it using your opinion?
    2. I am going to comment on the effectiveness of prison sentences; what resources should I look at and how should I structure it, i.e. what mains things should I include

I've tried to start but it isn't even going to be over 1000 words :L I really don't understand it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    About 6,000 words I'd say.
    OK perfect! Thanks!

(Original post by Alevelstudent1908)
    I really need some help! Our EPQ is compulsory; we haven't been taught anything though. Could you please answer a few questions for me?
    1. Is the EPQ supposed to be a question and then you answer it using your opinion?
    2. I am going to comment on the effectiveness of prison sentences; what resources should I look at and how should I structure it, i.e. what mains things should I include

I've tried to start but it isn't even going to be over 1000 words :L I really don't understand it.
    1. Yes, supplemented with academic texts, research journals, online resources etc.

2. You would probably want to narrow down your focus to one prison system e.g. maybe the British one? From there, there has been a lot of research into prison and the effect of institutionalisation. You might want to specify your question down to, for example, the effect of custodial prison sentences on re-offending. You could also look at it from an economic cost, evaluating the cost of custodial prison sentences. Once you narrow your focus, you'll find it's a lot easier to find resources.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the EPQ with Edexcel. I think that it would be appropriate to put references in my introduction, but the introductions in all of the exemplars I have seen are reference-free. Can I still put references in there though? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alevelstudent1908)

1. Yes, it does have to be a question. And you do answer it using your own opinion, though you need to have come to that answer/conclusion by carefully researching your question and looking at it from different viewpoints, if possible.
    2. As imaginarysally already mentioned, it might be a good idea if you narrowed it down to prison sentences in Britian. You can, however, compare the different prison sentences in different countries and see how effective each one is. Just by Googling 'effective prison sentences in the UK' I've found plenty of articles, documents etc. Have a look at some of these.

It would definitely make it easier for you if you narrowed down your area of focus. I hope this helped!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm wanting to do fashion/advertising at university and decided to do an EPQ. So far I already have interests in the topic "The image of beauty and how's it adapted" e.g. like curvy models to skinny models ,or something on the lines of misleading advertising or "the impact of advertising on womens attitudes and behaviours"
    Or I'm interested in the idea of creating a fashion magazine as like the artefact etc. But then don't know what my title and purpose of it would be for, and what to include in my essay.

OR ANY OTHER SUGGESTION ALONG THE SIDE OF FASHION, BUSINESS AND MEDIA AND PHOTOGRAPHY AS THEY ARE ALL THE SUBJECTS INFLUENCING ME WITH MY UNIVERSITY CHOICE.
    If anyone can help me with this topic or help me with an all rounded question it would be much appreciated just reply below!
    Thank you x

ReputationRep:
    I've just been told today that we have the chance of doing an EPQ...so if I do get in, because there are only 20 spaces available, I wondered what sort of topics and questions people have based their EPQ on, in the past. I want to study medicine at university, 2014 medic applicant, and hence want to do something medicine related...any opinions?

ReputationRep:
    Hello all I am just starting the EQP at me college and am struggling to think of a topic to base it on. I want it to be medically related as I am applying for medicine. I was thinking about basing it on ethics and how they impact doctors, however I fear that this topic is too broad and I need to narrow it down slightly. Does anybody have any ideas on what kind of things I could base it on, preferably related to medical ethics? Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    if i did a piece of c/wk around 5000 word for bio as level and got an A in it, can I use that amen it and make a presentation on it, or would the exam board figure ??
    what if i was on a different exam board

ReputationRep:
    Any ideas on the length needed for the reflection?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feelinginfinite)
    This is going to sound very pessimistic I think, but how long does it take to do the EPQ? Baring in mind that I know my question, it's been verified by my teachers as having potential. While I've done no work, I know what subheadings I should use, but have done no research yet...

I ask this because I decided not to do it over the summer, not realising that my college teachers are setting the deadline for October 10th (so they can mark them all- lots of people at my college are doing it).

4 weeks - is that enough time? How many hours per week would need to be dedicated to it? I only want advice as I know I've left it last, but I've just got a new job and started college too, and not sure if I'll be able to balance the time with such short notice... Any help appreciated
    Well someone I know did it in two weeks, but he spent those two weeks working on it like constantly so it'll probably be a LOT of effort!
    He actually came out with almost full marks (lost them on organisation, for some reason...) but the supervisor keeps going on and on about how fantastic it is.

ReputationRep:
    I plan to do mine on mental health and/or pharmacy. Would writing about how anti-psychotics work be too broad?

Any other ideas around these areas? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a bit of a nightmare trying to get my EPQ done around my four A2s. I've done most of the research, it's just getting around to writing the essay that is the struggle. Hopefully it'll be done and dusted soon though (easier said than done!)- and what's all this about a 'reflection'?
    Also, concerning the presentation. Is that a presentation on your findings, or on how you went about finding out what you did? So unclear.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by EsmeA)
    I'm having a bit of a nightmare trying to get my EPQ done around my four A2s. I've done most of the research, it's just getting around to writing the essay that is the struggle. Hopefully it'll be done and dusted soon though (easier said than done!)- and what's all this about a 'reflection'?
    Also, concerning the presentation. Is that a presentation on your findings, or on how you went about finding out what you did? So unclear.
    I've just finished "draft 2" of mine and honestly it is so much simpler once you get that initial draft written up. It's really the last big hurdle for you to accomplish with the EPQ. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my EPQ on the Curiosity Rover, and wondered if anyone knew who would be the best people to contact for some primary research (to interview or ask questions etc)? I've found contact details for NASA, but was wondering if there was any specific universities or lecturers or other people that might be useful? Thanks.

Also, thank you for the question idea!! Much appreciated!

(Original post by HarryMWilliams)
    To what extent has the 'Curiosity Rover' that recently successfully landed on Mars, benefited our understanding of <insert your primary aim here>?

What about that?

ReputationRep:
    is the title:
    to what extent will global warming have an impact on human life
    too broad?
    would you need to cover the basics of causes and solutions aswell, or just focus on the possible impacts
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by rosiesaurus)
    is the title:
    to what extent will global warming have an impact on human life
    too broad?
    would you need to cover the basics of causes and solutions aswell, or just focus on the possible impacts
    I would say so yes. Perhaps "To what extent will global warming have an impact on tidal tendancies." or something like that, with real focus.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.