Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    only companion I haven't liked in the new series is Martha, just an awfully written character on every level imo.

Clara I like so far, I liked Amy and Rory as well, Donna was good if only because she stood up to the doctor a lot, Rose was okay though some of the romance stuff between her and Tennant's doctor got really tedious toward the end.

interesting to see what the interplay between Capaldi and Clara will be, Matt Smith's doctor was quite young and energetic, I don't think Capaldi's will be as much so the contrast will change between the two of them I think.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah, i never liked Clara.

I was not a fan of the Amy-Rory relationship, i think it made the show duller than it could be,

Rose and Tennant was great, a sci-fi love story if a little sappy.

Clara seems brilliant, really fun. Just a shame Smith had to go.

Donna was the best, her quirky personality and fire really complemented the Dr.

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone like a jelly baby?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    new teaser trailer - contains a semi-spoiler (fairly identifiable returning character), so avoid if you don't want to know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbX4tNG_k3s

Spoiler:
    Show

Well, I didn't see that coming - sort of negates the ending to The Stolen Earth/Journey's End mind

Sooooooo excited. :excited:

ReputationRep:
    I'm away the weekend it's starting again. Won't be able to watch it until the Tuesday I suspect :sad:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    That new trailer:sogood: I cannae wait for series 8, especially after what was a very lacklustre second half of series 7 (I imagine many of you think otherwise)

Spoiler:
    Show
    and it seems Davros will be making a return:ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  Danceeeeeee.png
Views: 67
Size:  120.6 KB

Tywin is gonna be such a good Master.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getfunky!)
    That new trailer:sogood: I cannae wait for series 8, especially after what was a very lacklustre second half of series 7 (I imagine many of you think otherwise)

Spoiler:
    Show
    and it seems Davros will be making a return:ahee:
    It was more there was not enough episodes to build up 11 and Clara's relationship before the 50th and regeneration than anything else to me so instead of a mix of good and bad episodes we had mostly average ones.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully this will pick up. Normally there are episodes in a series that I will go back and watch again. The last series provided none. I can barely remember what even happened in most of the episodes.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    They weren't officially released, they were leaked in a security botch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Will be avoid reading them as I want to enjoy the stories for the first time when they air later this year. But I have seen that the opening episode is 79 minutes long! Good to see!

ReputationRep:
    Also avoiding spoilers - although it's very tempting to go looking for them! I know it'll be worth the wait, though, and I'll kick myself if I spoil the surprises.

ReputationRep:
    Going off topic here (the leaked scripts) but I was quite shocked to find out so many people hated The Time of the Doctor, I remember SFX gave it a crap review when it first aired, but I don't think they have any credibility so I ignored it, only to now realise a lot of people didn't like it. Personally I think it's the best regeneration episode since the series returned in 2005, and definitely better than The End of Time which I thought was an overblown mess. In fact The End of Time and Journeys End are the only season finale's that I've never re-watched because I thought they were all over the place and incredibly dumbed down. I always buy the series box sets, and the specials box set is the only one I haven't bought because I think The End of Time is a waste of money.

I feel people disliked The Time of The Doctor because it broke away from the traditional Christmas episode mould and and was at large treated like a regular regeneration episode, meaning casual viewers couldn't keep up. I could be wrong, but if I'm right that's such a silly reason to hate the episode.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Subat)
    Going off topic here (the leaked scripts) but I was quite shocked to find out so many people hated The Time of the Doctor, I remember SFX gave it a crap review when it first aired, but I don't think they have any credibility so I ignored it, only to now realise a lot of people didn't like it. Personally I think it's the best regeneration episode since the series returned in 2005, and definitely better than The End of Time which I thought was an overblown mess. In fact The End of Time and Journeys End are the only season finale's that I've never re-watched because I thought they were all over the place and incredibly dumbed down. I always buy the series box sets, and the specials box set is the only one I haven't bought because I think The End of Time is a waste of money.

I feel people disliked The Time of The Doctor because it broke away from the traditional Christmas episode mould and and was at large treated like a regular regeneration episode, meaning casual viewers couldn't keep up. I could be wrong, but if I'm right that's such a silly reason to hate the episode.
    I disliked it because it was a poor story line with plot holes and Moffat's favourite "girl needs the man to survive" trope

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Where can I find these scripts?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm not a massive fan of the special or the regeneration, I thought that the Name of the Doctor was better than both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    I disliked it because it was a poor story line with plot holes and Moffat's favourite "girl needs the man to survive" trope

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Plot holes?

What did you think of the day of the doctor? I thought it would have been perfect if it wasn't for the ridiculous Queen Elizabeth sub plot.

ReputationRep:
    I loved Eccleston's regeneration. No pointless faffing around, just a good joke and then goodbye.

ReputationRep:
    I agree Eccleston's regeneration was one of the best.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.