Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hmm, I'm not sure what I feel about an advert on TSR (on this page no less) stating that "Life isn't easy. You can be positive when life challenges you" and using their product will help...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FuzzySheep)
    Thank you to everyone who replied to me, I'm really so grateful :hugs:
    How are things going today?

ReputationRep:
    A girl in her school told her to kill herself. I don't understand. What is going on. Why couldn't we protect her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There is nothing you could have done. Bullying is such a major problem that even though there are campaigns and everything now, I still think it is not taken seriously enough.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    my twelve year old sister is cutting, she;s not been eating her lunch at school and not much at home and she's put it up all online on twitter of all places, i told my paretns adn they're being really calm and going to her school/drs appt tomorrow and she is really fighting i am so scared
    Hey hey hey, this is NOT your fault at all, so please don't think that. Get in touch if you need to offload to someone. I'm on sick leave (again :emo: ), so am around to talk :yes:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    A girl in her school told her to kill herself. I don't understand. What is going on. Why couldn't we protect her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey, i've just been reading about what's going on with your sister. It's really aweful that people would say that! There are some things you just can't protect people from nomatter how hard you try. You weren't able to prevent that but you are doing all the right things now. I read about you emailing the social network and everything and it sounds like you've really got all the bases covered. She has people who really care about her and she's getting help from the docs soon. That's really good. She's really lucky to have such a nice family and that will help her a lot. :hugs:

I hope you're taking care of yourself too? It's really difficult to deal with this sort of thing esoecially when you care so much about them. It may be a good idea for you to talk to Samaritans or something and keep an eye on how you're doing yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Went to a bar last night and the whole time I was there the people behind me kept talking about how ugly and fat I am and how did someone like me manage to find people to go to a bar with. It was really upsetting. The worst part is I don't know if it's real or not. I'm too afraid to ask my wife in case it's not real but right now I'm feeling really upset that someone might have been so horrible to me. Been going to the gym every day and eating healthily but still haven't lost anything, ****ing quetiapine.
    :hugs: Whether it was real or not, what you heard was 100% wrong. You are neither fat nor ugly (I'd be happy to take you to a bar myself ), and you have a wife who I know agrees with me.

I think one of the things you need to work on is self-esteem - it's not good to base your opinion of yourself too much on what others might think of you, you should be happy to be you because you're awesome!

my twelve year old sister is cutting, she;s not been eating her lunch at school and not much at home and she's put it up all online on twitter of all places, i told my paretns adn they're being really calm and going to her school/drs appt tomorrow and she is really fighting i am so scared
    :jumphug: So sorry to hear this, but I'm glad she's got someone like you for a sister - I think you'll be great at supporting her, even if it is hard on you.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    I'm meeting somebody on Monday at the YMCA to discuss volunteering at one of their summer school's next month :woo: Now to just give the impression of an awesome, sane human being :nah:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I'm meeting somebody on Monday at the YMCA to discuss volunteering at one of their summer school's next month :woo: Now to just give the impression of an awesome, sane human being :nah:
    That sound like a lot of fun good luck (don't think you'll need it though) I'm sure they'll love you and you'll love camp.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Kindred)
    That sound like a lot of fun good luck (don't think you'll need it though) I'm sure they'll love you and you'll love camp.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm applying to do a PGCE (and teach first too) so the experience of working with disadvantaged students would be brilliant. Plus it's climbing, horse riding, archery, orienteering and other awesome outdoors stuff that I really enjoy doing Just hoping that they want me. They sounded enthusiastic in the email so fingers crossed!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Eating stuff:

Spoiler:
    Show
    okay so I was watching "don't call me crazy" and it's got me thinking about my eating again. I'm not like starving myself for days and days or anything I just don't eat all that much and it's got worse since I've been on meds. I don't want to be like this, i just am. in my mind i want to eat but my body just wont let me. I've lost like a half stone in a couple of weeks and about a stone since starting meds. I know I don't eat enough and I feel hungry quite a lot of the time. I told one of my friends about how much weight I've lost and they told me to eat more. It's not that simple though. I want to eat more but I just can't bring myself to. Even if I'm really hungry and want to eat loads I just can't, I'll stop after like half of what I want cos I'll feel ill. I know I'm not fat but I keep feeling like I am. I'm not at all fit and I know that. I guess I just never have enough energy to do the exercise I need to. I want to like tone myself up and stuff cos then I might stop feeling like I'm so unfit. I just can't motivate myself at all. I want to eat more and have the energy to actually he off my backside and do things but I just can't. I practically have to force myself sometimes to eat half a slice of pizza. I know I need to eat and I want to eat I just can't.

Anyway off to my next therapy session soon. It's gunna be interesting cos I'm feeling so different now than I was last session so I don't really know what we'll talk about. Well I guess I'll find out.
    My friends are coming over afterward which is nice.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think I tend to eat a bit more when I'm with them too cos I feel less watched. Sometimes I'll stop eating cos I'm worried people think I eat strange (which I do cos of my OCD), but my friends are less judgmental about it I think.

Get to go through the DVDs I just organised too so I should feel nice and proud of myself :P

Hope everyone's doing okay today. :hugs: if not you know where to go (HERE where all the lovely supportive people are to give you hugs and smiles).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I'm applying to do a PGCE (and teach first too) so the experience of working with disadvantaged students would be brilliant. Plus it's climbing, horse riding, archery, orienteering and other awesome outdoors stuff that I really enjoy doing Just hoping that they want me. They sounded enthusiastic in the email so fingers crossed!
    I've been volunteering a bit with YMCA too (for a similar reason as well) an I found everybody really nice. They're always happy to receive help so I'm sure you're interpretation of their email was accurate. Have loads an loads of fun with all the activities! It will be brilliant experience too you're right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Got invited to a council meeting to help improve services for young people in London. Which is great, only thing is my old psychologist will be there and I don't want her to see me back in a psychotic state again :emo: But still, it's a great opportunity for improvement that is much needed, will have to man up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Got invited to a council meeting to help improve services for young people in London. Which is great, only thing is my old psychologist will be there and I don't want her to see me back in a psychotic state again :emo: But still, it's a great opportunity for improvement that is much needed, will have to man up.
    As you say, it's a great opportunity for you to be able to give your experiences as a service-user and potentially help improve the services for many other people.

Remember that being psychotic is in no way a failing on your part - it's just a part of your illness and it happens. As a professional, your old psychologist will understand that, and they will also understand that it isn't their fault that you have these symptoms, so whilst they understandably won't feel happy that you're ill, it's nothing that you have to protect them from. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Eating stuff:

Spoiler:
    Show
    okay so I was watching "don't call me crazy" and it's got me thinking about my eating again. I'm not like starving myself for days and days or anything I just don't eat all that much and it's got worse since I've been on meds. I don't want to be like this, i just am. in my mind i want to eat but my body just wont let me. I've lost like a half stone in a couple of weeks and about a stone since starting meds. I know I don't eat enough and I feel hungry quite a lot of the time. I told one of my friends about how much weight I've lost and they told me to eat more. It's not that simple though. I want to eat more but I just can't bring myself to. Even if I'm really hungry and want to eat loads I just can't, I'll stop after like half of what I want cos I'll feel ill. I know I'm not fat but I keep feeling like I am. I'm not at all fit and I know that. I guess I just never have enough energy to do the exercise I need to. I want to like tone myself up and stuff cos then I might stop feeling like I'm so unfit. I just can't motivate myself at all. I want to eat more and have the energy to actually he off my backside and do things but I just can't. I practically have to force myself sometimes to eat half a slice of pizza. I know I need to eat and I want to eat I just can't.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I can sympathise, when I was on medication I had to force myself to eat and I didn't really want to eat anything. I'm not an expert on this but the fact that you want to eat more is a positive thing. It sounds as though the weight loss is medication induced. I'd keep an eye on it, if you feel it really isn't healthy and becoming a problem you could always talk to do your doctor about changing medication. I also watched that show, didn't make for easy viewing...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Nut.)
    As you say, it's a great opportunity for you to be able to give your experiences as a service-user and potentially help improve the services for many other people.

Remember that being psychotic is in no way a failing on your part - it's just a part of your illness and it happens. As a professional, your old psychologist will understand that, and they will also understand that it isn't their fault that you have these symptoms, so whilst they understandably won't feel happy that you're ill, it's nothing that you have to protect them from. :hugs:
    Thank you :hugs:

(Original post by Noodlzzz)
    I'm sure if she sees you up there at the meeting discussing ways to improve services that she would be proud of you for being there in the first place and doing some good!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm sure if she sees you up there at the meeting discussing ways to improve services that she would be proud of you for being there in the first place and doing some good!
    Thank you.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by danny111)
    How are things going today?

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Hey hey hey, this is NOT your fault at all, so please don't think that. Get in touch if you need to offload to someone. I'm on sick leave (again :emo: ), so am around to talk :yes:

Hey, i've just been reading about what's going on with your sister. It's really aweful that people would say that! There are some things you just can't protect people from nomatter how hard you try. You weren't able to prevent that but you are doing all the right things now. I read about you emailing the social network and everything and it sounds like you've really got all the bases covered. She has people who really care about her and she's getting help from the docs soon. That's really good. She's really lucky to have such a nice family and that will help her a lot. :hugs:

I hope you're taking care of yourself too? It's really difficult to deal with this sort of thing esoecially when you care so much about them. It may be a good idea for you to talk to Samaritans or something and keep an eye on how you're doing yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by superwolf)
    :jumphug: So sorry to hear this, but I'm glad she's got someone like you for a sister - I think you'll be great at supporting her, even if it is hard on you.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm so sorry to hear this... :jumphug: You couldn't do anything to stop her, so please please don't blame yourself at all. Kids that age can be incredibly nasty, and I recommend you report it to the school first thing so they can get to the root of it and deal with the bullies. I'm so sorry you're all going through this, I really hope this is sorted out swiftly, it must be so horrible for you all.
    Thank you everyone, for being so supportive. I really do appreciate it. My mum and sister were talking and laughing today and so my mum thinks it's all over. All I carry on doing is looking at the things she wrote and the pictures she took and I just don't know how to deal with the guilt that I should have realised. I'm too scared to talk to her or see her as bad as that sounds because she's not a 12 year old anymore is she. I don't know what to do. I've tried to make a list of helplines and support info on websites to give to her and I gave her teacher a ring to tell her more about the Twitter things as my parents didn't look in detail. She has a counselling appt tomorrow morning, my parents are meeting her Head of Year tomorrow afternoon and she has a doctor's appt too. My mum's been reluctant about the counselling appt as my sister will have control over what my mum is told (in case she says something really awful in which case she'll be notified) and so that might actually go balls up if my mum won't agree.

This is all a mess and I don't know what to do. I'm so sorry for venting on here, I just didn't know where else to go. Thank you so much for all your posts, I really appreciate it.

Thank you everyone, for being so supportive. I really do appreciate it. My mum and sister were talking and laughing today and so my mum thinks it's all over. All I carry on doing is looking at the things she wrote and the pictures she took and I just don't know how to deal with the guilt that I should have realised. I'm too scared to talk to her or see her as bad as that sounds because she's not a 12 year old anymore is she. I don't know what to do. I've tried to make a list of helplines and support info on websites to give to her and I gave her teacher a ring to tell her more about the Twitter things as my parents didn't look in detail. She has a counselling appt tomorrow morning, my parents are meeting her Head of Year tomorrow afternoon and she has a doctor's appt too. My mum's been reluctant about the counselling appt as my sister will have control over what my mum is told (in case she says something really awful in which case she'll be notified) and so that might actually go balls up if my mum won't agree.

This is all a mess and I don't know what to do. I'm so sorry for venting on here, I just didn't know where else to go. Thank you so much for all your posts, I really appreciate it.
    It sounds like everything's on the right track for getting things sorted, and a massive well done for ringing her teacher to discuss it. You sound like a fantastic big sister. Even if your mum doesn't agree, if it's a school counsellor, I believe she can go without your mum's consent (although like you say, with some things she will be told).

You definitely don't need to apologise for venting on here! It's what MHSS is for... Don't feel guilty about not having realised, honestly - I've seen you around the forums and I think you've been at uni and had your own stuff to deal with, and people are incredibly good at hiding things like self-harm and bullying, especially from those they're closest to. I know it's really hard not to feel guilty about it, but short of policing everything your sister does, I can't see what else you could have done. :console:

ReputationRep:

Don't be! I don't want to sound mean or callous, but to be honest it helps me to hear from others. In the sense that, okay I have problems, but I'm not alone, other people have problems too. Does that make sense?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.