Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Del Potro lost on his return but did have break points and one break.

He said in interviews that his backhand is still painful but the rest of his game should be fine and with wildcards to big tournaments and more match play he should be winning matches again.

I'd expect he'll rise through the rankings pretty quick, his game was never massively dependent on his backhand anyway and his two big weapons (serve and colossal forehand) seem fine.

At least he'll get the full clay season to give him match practice for Wimbledon.
    It's true his game is built on that terrifying forehand but I would imagine the more intelligent players would find a way to get it to his backhand. I really hope the pain stops because I just love watching Delpo play, absolutely sublime player.

I mean, dat forehand ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sirocco11)
    It's true his game is built on that terrifying forehand but I would imagine the more intelligent players would find a way to get it to his backhand. I really hope the pain stops because I just love watching Delpo play, absolutely sublime player.

I mean, dat forehand ...
    https://youtu.be/nWcJehnsnoI

ReputationRep:
    Interestingly something that may have been missed is just how close the big 4 are to finally being broken now. Despite all 4 being fit and active, we've not seen them take a slam semi since 2013 and now 3rd to 6th are separated by just 700 points. A sure sign that their dominance is for all intensive purposes about to end.

The above is of course good news for those of us who are Del Potro fans. While i do like Nikishori/Raonic/Dimitrov/Tomic, they are a tad inferior to the big 4 at peak while Del Potro is of a comparable standard to the big 4 in my opinion at peak. This may mean that if he gets fully fit and on it, he couldn't have come back at a better time.

On the Tomic front Tomic seems to have come good this year mentally. He got to 27th when he was 19 but then flopped however it looks like he could match that this tournament. Plays Berdych next though.

On the women's side I'm most interested in Azarenka who's now back, seemingly fit, ranked 36th, but has already beaten 3 top 10 players this year and most importantly defends not a single point on clay or in Miami. It's highly likely that she'll be seeded for the French Open and probably back in the top 20 by the time she gets to Wimbledon. If all goes well i'd not write her off for the US Open since she's one of the few players that's ever taken it to Serena and Sharapova on hard courts.

ReputationRep:
    Verdasco strikes, Nadal out.

ReputationRep:
    I've missed quite a bit of the tennis actually.
    Djokovic is just a level above anyone else playing in Miami - dishing out 6-0 and 6-1 sets almost at will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    I've missed quite a bit of the tennis actually.
    Djokovic is just a level above anyone else playing in Miami - dishing out 6-0 and 6-1 sets almost at will.
    Then inexplicably collapsing in 2nd sets, luckily he managed to escape in straights today but his weakness so far this season definitely appears to be taking his foot off the gas after stellar first set performances

ReputationRep:
    Raonic lost to Isner last night, complete serve fest.

Nikishori looking really good, he's won his last two matches in 63 and 68 minutes and broken serve 15 times in 3 matches. He could play Djokovic on Friday.

Unless Nikishori reaches the final then Murray is now world number 3.

ReputationRep:
    So excited at the prospect of yet another mouth-watering Murray-Djokovic match. The immovable object vs. the immovable object.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhy)
    So excited at the prospect of yet another mouth-watering Murray-Djokovic match. The immovable object vs. the immovable object.
    Sarcasm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Isner's been playing really well so far! And I'd say he has a chance against Djokovic in the Semis now after the confidence of dismantling Nishikori tonight in front of a home crowd.

ReputationRep:
    Isner is always dangerous in the USA

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully Sir John will do a favour to Andy in the semi against Djokovic (assuming Djoker does not **** it up against Ferrer).

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2

ReputationRep:
    Isner played a perfect match against Nishikori. He just did not allow him to play. Both by bombing aces and unreturnables, and hitting Nishikori off the court in his own return games.

I was so impressed that I might stick my neck and say he'll win the whole tournament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sirocco11)
    Isner played a perfect match against Nishikori. He just did not allow him to play. Both by bombing aces and unreturnables, and hitting Nishikori off the court in his own return games.

I was so impressed that I might stick my neck and say he'll win the whole tournament.
    Yes it was an absolutely fantastic display. His baseline play reminded me of Djokovic. Playing like that, he surely can reach the final.

ReputationRep:
    Isner beating the overrated and most useless generation of Dimitrov, Kei and Raonic in consecutive matches. Well done John. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Murray takes out Berdych in straight sets to reach the final. He could have a great shot at winning this if Isner can get past Novak tonight

ReputationRep:
    Murray takes out Berdych in straight sets to reach the final. He could have a great shot at winning this if Isner can get past Novak tonight
    Yes, good solid win. Same pattern in both sets, 2 breaks for Murray and 1 for Berdych in the first 3 games.

I think even against Djokovic he'll have a chance. On the other hand, It's hard court slow so...

PS Really want to see Murray in the grass session. He's my favourite for Wimbledon this year !

ReputationRep:
    It's the big one!
    Murray vs Djokovic in the final.
    It will be a mentality test once again for Andy, I think the most important factor will be his first serve percentage.

Murray has never won a match against Djoker, when losing the first set.
    That being said, I predict Murray wins 6-7 7-6 7-5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonborn10)
    It's the big one!
    Murray vs Djokovic in the final.
    It will be a mentality test once again for Andy, I think the most important factor will be his first serve percentage.

Murray has never won a match against Djoker, when losing the first set.
    That being said, I predict Murray wins 6-7 7-6 7-5

It's tomorrow isn't it?

Most important factor for me is how he defends his WTA 2nd serve - if he can win more than 40% of points behind it, he'll have a great shot.

ReputationRep:
    It's tomorrow isn't it?

Most important factor for me is how he defends his WTA 2nd serve - if he can win more than 40% of points behind it, he'll have a great shot.
    Yes, its tomorrow. I think 6pm.

Spot on, Nole will attack his 2nd serve from the beginning, hopefully Andy will manage to win some of these points.

Would love it if they can produce the same intensity as in the first 2 sets in their last slams meetings (USO & AO).

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.