Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bcmh)
    Biochem application sent off!😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Woho I'm applying biochem at Brasenose! Which college did you choose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megrostron)
    And me!
    I have just sent the application for Biochemistry (Without choosing any college)

Best of luck to everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    We think you could have quoted the AS grades on the UCAS form even though your school does not certificate them. We are not sure if you can go back and complete the module/unit section of the A level - if this is still possible, it is the simplest solution. Otherwise, you will have to ask your school to write a supplementary letter to the college applied for disclosing this information.

We receive a few letters every year from schools about omitted factual information and pass these to the selectors for consideration. What we can't do is accept unsolicited additional information from either applicants or other third parties since this would not be fair - all correspondence should go through the school.
    Thank you very much for the info...will investigate both options!

ReputationRep:
    After making the last-minute decision to apply (chemistry at Brasenose), I've finally completed my UCAS Apply and all is left now is for my Head of Sixth Form to do my reference tomorrow. Fingers crossed he does it before 6pm!

ReputationRep:
    Is anybody else doing the MLAT or OLAT? I'm finding the OLAT quite enjoyable, not easy but pleasantly stretching and manageable. On the other hand, the MLAT is proving tricky. I think I just really need to brush up on pieces of grammar that have left my head over the years, but I don't know if I will be able to do so enough before the test. Anybody in a similar position, or just me?

ReputationRep:
    I applied yesterday for biological sciences in Christ Church, any other biology hopefuls on here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gerald DGrilla)
    Your GCSE grades are indeed very low relative to those achieved by the majority of people who will be offered places, however, the context of your results is very, very important.

Oxford want the brightest and the best. If you went to Collet Court, then St Paul's and you grew up in a house full of books, and you had doors opened and wondrous opportunities at every turn, meeting great people and fantastic teachers, and both your parents were Oxbridge graduates and were now academics or professionals (I know people like this) then getting 10 GCSE A*s and 4 A-Level A*s would be 'normal'.

Look at the 2015 GCSE results for Westminster School, for example, where 97% of ALL GCSE exams taken are A*/A grade - and that is down on last year's 98% !!!

What matters is not the results themselves but what the results tell the admissions officers about you! And there context is very important.

Again, I do not know if you are good enough, but you have had to work really hard to achieve what you have - and that is important. You must have innate talent and genius - and that is what Oxford is looking for.

I am not knocking the sweet boys and girls of SP and W; they are very smart, and that is why W send half their sixth formers to Oxbridge - but Oxford admissions officers know what they are looking for and they might very well be looking for you.

And if it is not to be, then go and set another university alight and get a first, and go on to make your mark on the world!

Best of luck!
    Big Gezza.
    Thank you so much Gezza, that made me feel good and somewhat proud of myself. I know I've not done amazing but regardless of the outcome I am very proud of myself that I've still managed to do well and I know under the right circumstances i would've done better. It's not normal for someone like me ,a girl that lives on a council estate and is from Black African family to move away let alone apply for Oxford but what on earth do I have to lose? I don't know just for once I want to know that I am capable of doing something, that I'm good enough. So although my chances are unlikely I'm just going to wish for the best and put it at the back of mind. Thank you again for your kind words again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gerald DGrilla)
    Your GCSE grades are indeed very low relative to those achieved by the majority of people who will be offered places, however, the context of your results is very, very important.

Oxford want the brightest and the best. If you went to Collet Court, then St Paul's and you grew up in a house full of books, and you had doors opened and wondrous opportunities at every turn, meeting great people and fantastic teachers, and both your parents were Oxbridge graduates and were now academics or professionals (I know people like this) then getting 10 GCSE A*s and 4 A-Level A*s would be 'normal'.

Look at the 2015 GCSE results for Westminster School, for example, where 97% of ALL GCSE exams taken are A*/A grade - and that is down on last year's 98% !!!

What matters is not the results themselves but what the results tell the admissions officers about you! And there context is very important.

Again, I do not know if you are good enough, but you have had to work really hard to achieve what you have - and that is important. You must have innate talent and genius - and that is what Oxford is looking for.

I am not knocking the sweet boys and girls of SP and W; they are very smart, and that is why W send half their sixth formers to Oxbridge - but Oxford admissions officers know what they are looking for and they might very well be looking for you.

And if it is not to be, then go and set another university alight and get a first, and go on to make your mark on the world!

Best of luck!
    Big Gezza.
    Thank you so much, that made me feel good and somewhat proud of myself. I know I've not done amazing but regardless of the outcome I am very proud of myself that I've still managed to do well and I know under the right circumstances i would've done better. It's not normal for someone like me ,a girl that lives on a council estate and is from Black African family to move away let alone apply for Oxford but what on earth do I have to lose? I don't know just for once I want to know that I am capable of doing something, that I'm good enough. So although my chances are unlikely I'm just going to wish for the best and put it at the back of mind. Thank you for your kind words again. I will make my mark on this world and then thanks for giving me a confidence boost and making me feel better about myself I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakmoh15)
    did u get 25/50 or 50 when compared to the conversion sheet? cos in my first one I got 22/50 which was like 58.0 or something
    thats a good point actually... i did another and scored 38/50 so i have to check what that is on the conversion sheet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vildeung)
    Woho I'm applying biochem at Brasenose! Which college did you choose?
    Chose Worcester in the end!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bcmh)
    Chose Worcester in the end!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oooh Worcester, me too :beer: For which course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EoghanB97)
    I applied yesterday for biological sciences in Christ Church, any other biology hopefuls on here?
    I sent mine off yesterday, Biological Sciences at New!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unistresshelp)
    Thank you so much, that made me feel good and somewhat proud of myself. I know I've not done amazing but regardless of the outcome I am very proud of myself that I've still managed to do well and I know under the right circumstances i would've done better. It's not normal for someone like me ,a girl that lives on a council estate and is from Black African family to move away let alone apply for Oxford but what on earth do I have to lose? I don't know just for once I want to know that I am capable of doing something, that I'm good enough. So although my chances are unlikely I'm just going to wish for the best and put it at the back of mind. Thank you for your kind words again. I will make my mark on this world and then thanks for giving me a confidence boost and making me feel better about myself I guess.
    We all get a different start in life. The important thing is that when a door opens you walk through it. Once you are at uni, wherever that ends up being, you need to have confidence and work your socks off - you will still have headwinds, but if you keep going you will do brilliantly and you can force change. Confidence and hard work works miracles.

All the best.
    G
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    The Cambridge one is up already . . . ! And here is the general 2016 thread for applying to university http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3371681

Fill in the form below to be added to the stalking page. Contact Eux to make any changes.

Form-
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Boo...?usp=send_form

Stalking page-
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Copy and paste this and fill it in below!

GCSE grades:
    A-Levels:
    Course:
    College:

Mine is:

GCSE grades: -
    A-Levels: -
    Course: Oriental Studies
    College: The Queen's College

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Whoo! Someone is applying to my college!!!!

and addressed to everyone:

I'm currently a 4th year Physics student working on a research project within atmospheric physics. I'm also on the committee for the university's music society so if anyone has any questions about Oxford, the physics course or music at Oxford feel free to quote me or drop me a PM
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiaf)
    Any thoughts anyone?

I didn't see my reference until after my application was sent off, but my school doesn't certificate AS grades so none of my unis will know about my grades.

I got 98.6 UMS average over my top three ASs, but this wasn't mentioned. Is it worth ringing up the unis to let them know this? I know Cambridge care more than Oxford about marks and suchlike, so does it matter?

My predicted grades should reflect the fact that I got high UMS, just wondering if it would better my chances to explicitly put the marks down - some schools predict A*s casually anyway so I don't know how much credibility my pred. grades will grant me!! Thx in advance for any advice

Maybe Brasenose Admin...do you have any idea? Thanks!
    Hi,

All your unis will know your AS grades since as of about 5 years ago they were automatically 'cashed in' and made accessible to the unis you apply to. There is no hiding your exact mark anymore.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlie1o5)
    Wow everyone GCSE's are so impressive... does anyone know how much Oxford looks at GCSE's? I really want to study physics at Oxford but of course that will require high standards is Oxford strict about requirements...?
    Hey, ignore what most people on here are saying about GCSEs being important for Oxford as it is a generalisation. I'm currently a fourth year physicist and have previously discussed the application process with my tutors. The selection for interview is based purely on the aptitude test and nothing else. The number interviewed is such that the cutoff score for the PAT is one that means that there are exactly 2.5 applicants per place at interview. Only after your interview will other factors be taken into account - and even then the majority of the weight is on your aptitude test score and your performance in the interviews. It is also considered whether you would be able to make the offer if one was given which is mainly indicated by your AS scores. Though the average number of A* GCSE grades for physics is around 5, there are people who got none (a good friend of mine who graduated last year got no A*s, 2 As, 5 Bs and 2 Cs at GCSE). The department believes that performance in the PAT and interview is a far better indicator of performance on the degree course than school exams.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting really worried as my college STILL haven't sent off my application despite me sending them my bit last week!!!

ReputationRep:
    I lied on my application and said I got 3 As (actually got 3 Cs). lol school didn't even notice and now I've got an interview for History at Oxford!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomG16)
    I lied on my application and said I got 3 As (actually got 3 Cs). lol school didn't even notice and now I've got an interview for History at Oxford!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ...Are your predicted marks all A or higher? And also, how queer; I don't think anyone else has yet received an invite to an interview for Oxford.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somnacin)
    ...Are your predicted marks all A or higher? And also, how queer; I don't think anyone else has yet received an invite to an interview for Oxford.
    He's trolling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.