Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    Send me your answer and I'll see if it's the way I have in mind
    Spoilered it:

Spoiler:
    Show

Okay.. so the facts are 1 hour ea fuse burns and there are 2 fuses. If we light both fuses at the same time, we won't be able to accurately measure how much time goes by.

However, if we can find out how long half an hour will take by burning 1 fuse, it will give us a shot of using the other fuse to find out 45 minutes.

So because 45 minutes is 3/4 of an hour, we can find out how much half an hour should take by burning fully one of the fuses, assuming we can light from both sides. Even though we aren't given the ratio of burn time the he whole fuse would've taken 30 minutes to burn, if indeed 1 fully takes 1 hour to burn.

If we burnt the other fuse from one side at the same time we burnt the first fuse, this should also give us the same 30 minute time slot. Now to find half of 30 minutes to make up the remaining 15 minutes, we can do the same thing to the second fuse and light it from both sides after the initial 30 minutes has been sorted out. When that fully burns out it should approximate to 45 minutes of time going by, assuming both fuses take 1 hour to burn in actuality.

This method would only allow us to find up to a maximum of 45 minutes, so I'm guessing it's no convinience?

I think this is the only way you can go about solving it, without having the ratio of times each section of the fuse would burn.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonynous)
    Spoilered it:

Spoiler:
    Show

Okay.. so the facts are 1 hour ea fuse burns and there are 2 fuses. If we light both fuses at the same time, we won't be able to accurately measure how much time goes by.

However, if we can find out how long half an hour will take by burning 1 fuse, it will give us a shot of using the other fuse to find out 45 minutes.

So because 45 minutes is 3/4 of an hour, we can find out how much half an hour should take by burning fully one of the fuses, assuming we can light from both sides. Even though we aren't given the ratio of burn time the he whole fuse would've taken 30 minutes to burn, if indeed 1 fully takes 1 hour to burn.

If we burnt the other fuse from one side at the same time we burnt the first fuse, this should also give us the same 30 minute time slot. Now to find half of 30 minutes to make up the remaining 15 minutes, we can do the same thing to the second fuse and light it from both sides after the initial 30 minutes has been sorted out. When that fully burns out it should approximate to 45 minutes of time going by, assuming both fuses take 1 hour to burn in actuality.

This method would only allow us to find up to a maximum of 45 minutes, so I'm guessing it's no convinience?

I think this is the only way you can go about solving it, without having the ratio of times each section of the fuse would burn.
    That's the way I have too, it just shows you how you can actually know a lot by the small amount of information given, at least that's what I think.

ReputationRep:
    That's the way I have too, it just shows you how you can actually know a lot by the small amount of information given, at least that's what I think.
    I don't think I would've figured that out under interview pressure. I read the question like 10 times and was thinking for a while :lol:

The questions above, were they asked on SWs interviews? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Spoilered it:

Spoiler:
    Show

Yeah. It's that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I would've figured that out under interview pressure. I read the question like 10 times and was thinking for a while :lol:

Question was part of a fun game at one of my SWs
    They'd give you hints if you were foundering

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aenigma)
    Question was part of a fun game at one of my SWs
    They'd give you hints if you were foundering

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If I had 10 minutes or so, I wouldn't mind. They're actually fun to do. Used to do riddles all the time.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

It's all just about how you handle yourself under pressure and being able to think logically about what has been given. Some of the questions asked of this form don't have an exact answer, instead they care more about how you approach the question.

I'm not sure what they were for, probably summer interviews but they were mentioned on the site I've got these questions from.

ReputationRep:

You have 5 pots of coins. One of the pots contains only fake coins. The normal coins weigh 10 grams. The fake coins weigh 9 grams. You are given a weighing scales (one you would use to weigh yourself, not a balancing scales) and allowed to make only one measurement. How do you determine which pot contains the fake coins?
    This was asked by DB
    No idea, I've thought but all my answers require more than one measurement.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    No idea, I've thought but all my answers require more than one measurement.
    Sent you a PM

ReputationRep:
    If any maths questions were to come up, it will be mental. Jjust stay composed, you'll be fine. All the best!
    I hope so - providing I don't screw them up either, haha. Here's hoping, cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay, but surely these types of questions aren't actually very mathematical, at least in my opinion they aren't.
    That's why they are called brainteasers and not maths questions. I guess its to see how you think, not how well you can calculate things. Makes sense - shows how you deal with pressure as well.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackR7821)
    That's why they are called brainteasers and not maths questions. I guess its to see how you think, not how well you can calculate things. Makes sense - shows how you deal with pressure as well.
    That's true.

ReputationRep:
    so anyone (or your friends, or friend's friends etc) heard anything from JP morgan (IBD spring week)? offers? rejections? interviews? horrible interview stories? :eek: heard nothing for anyone so far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidMonk)
    so anyone (or your friends, or friend's friends etc) heard anything from JP morgan (IBD spring week)? offers? rejections? interviews? horrible interview stories? :eek: heard nothing for anyone so far
    Interviews have been given and rejections have started being distributed.

Questions are competency/motivation for interview.

You should hear back sometime in january. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Barclays phone interview, does anyone know what dates their SW is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President M.E.)
    Nice when did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drossell)
    Nice when did you apply?
    Beginning of november

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone received/done the Morgan Stanley final interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    jeez man, youre on fire! not sure, gl

ReputationRep:
    Solid performance Congratulations!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.