Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grownupfrog)
    You need to contact them to ask. It could be a computer glitch but I'm sure they wouldn't have changed you without asking. I wouldn't just let this slide - each stream is looking for different things and have a different FSAC pass mark so it's not worth the risk.
    Hi again they've said their records show me Commercial throughout, so either a) I'm going mad,
    b) there's a glitch but how could that be established,
    or c) maybe when I first added HR to app (which I defo remember doing!!!) it somehow didn't complete/timeout, so next time I go back in and add Commercial as further option when I proceed I don't notice it's now only commercial -
    anyways still have quite some motivation now post-FSAC for Commercial offer/response but logistically/geographically it might not be as suitable short-term - can I ask you grownupfrog for maybe a contact for recruitment manager whose dealt with your HR appointment?
    Should an offer be forthcoming I would very much like a frank chat with someone there and maybe generally about such hypothetical outcomes and options, although my primary concern is to await results, hopefully get onto FS and take it from there!

thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,I've got my FSAC coming up on the 9th July... anyone else in that boat? I'm applying for the Economist Scheme. I was wondering if someone could clarify how the scoring works for FSAC? I see people have mentioned 6 competencies but on the page I read 10. Which competencies are combined? Also does anyone know the pass mark for economics?

ReputationRep:
    From what I've gathered over the course of my own app, they look to score evidence you provide under:
    1. Seeing the bigger picture / Changing and improving
    2. Making effective decisions
    3. Leading and communicating
    4. Collaborating and partnering / building capability for all
    5. Managing a quality service/ delivering at pace
    6. Delivering value for money / achieving commercial outcomes
    And during the FSAC each one will be tested at least once with most exercises testing 4 of these at a time - e.g. the group exercise will look at leading and communicating, and again during the interviews
    When it comes to scores, it gets complicated! You'd have to look at the competency framework the Civil Service measures it's own staff against and look at around HEO level, the assessors seem to enter a score out of 4 based on their assessment and notes, 1 where there's too many weak areas vs the competency, 2 where there's a few areas for improvement but you've got the basics, 3 where there are some areas for improvement and 4 where your evidence is strongly displaying the required competency standards, and they can also give halves!
    At somepoint in the assessment system these are then 'weighted' based on some mysterious factors and you end up with the 2 place decimalisation - this is why when you times the 6 standards by potentially up to 4 marks for (combined) evidence you get a score to 2 dp out of max 24
    Don't forget they'll also take your e-tray written exercise into account during the FSAC
    Hope that helps, it's an intense day but worth it, or at least I hope so!

ReputationRep:
    From what I've gathered over the course of my own app, they look to score evidence you provide under:
    And during the FSAC each one will be tested at least once with most exercises testing 4 of these at a time - e.g. the group exercise will look at leading and communicating, and again during the interviews
    When it comes to scores, it gets complicated! You'd have to look at the competency framework the Civil Service measures it's own staff against and look at around HEO level, the assessors seem to enter a score out of 4 based on their assessment and notes, 1 where there's too many weak areas vs the competency, 2 where there's a few areas for improvement but you've got the basics, 3 where there are some areas for improvement and 4 where your evidence is strongly displaying the required competency standards, and they can also give halves!
    At somepoint in the assessment system these are then 'weighted' based on some mysterious factors and you end up with the 2 place decimalisation - this is why when you times the 6 standards by potentially up to 4 marks for (combined) evidence you get a score to 2 dp out of max 24
    Don't forget they'll also take your e-tray written exercise into account during the FSAC

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,
    I've got my FSAC on the 2nd of July...does anyone else have theirs on that day?
    I applied for the Commercial Fast Stream!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwardl2)
    Hi again they've said their records show me Commercial throughout, so either a) I'm going mad,
    b) there's a glitch but how could that be established,
    or c) maybe when I first added HR to app (which I defo remember doing!!!) it somehow didn't complete/timeout, so next time I go back in and add Commercial as further option when I proceed I don't notice it's now only commercial -
    anyways still have quite some motivation now post-FSAC for Commercial offer/response but logistically/geographically it might not be as suitable short-term - can I ask you grownupfrog for maybe a contact for recruitment manager whose dealt with your HR appointment?
    Should an offer be forthcoming I would very much like a frank chat with someone there and maybe generally about such hypothetical outcomes and options, although my primary concern is to await results, hopefully get onto FS and take it from there!

thanks again
    If you apply to HR, you may not apply to any other stream for that recruitment year. It doesn't sound like this was the result of a computer glitch - it's most likely that you selected the wrong option, or that you tried to add commercial as an alternative and thus de-selected HR since that isn't allowed.

Sorry but I'm not going to provide you with those details because you are an internet stranger - I applied through all the normal channels, as did everyone else who got through, so it wouldn't be right or fair to publicise the name or contact information of an individual involved in a process that is meant to be mostly anonymous, especially when I haven't the slightest clue who you are! If you contact whoever you contacted before you can ask them for the details of the person you need to be speaking to. But I'd do so as soon as possible, and make your decision either to ask to switch to HR or to withdraw entirely. If you wait until you hear your FSAC results I would be highly surprised if they would consider moving you to another stream, since there are stream-specific elements to the FSAC assessment marking for some schemes, and you will be being marked against criteria for Commercial at present.

That said, every stream requires geographical flexibility, including HR - you could be placed anywhere in the country for your two placements, and will (almost) certainly be placed in London once and elsewhere once. You are expected to accept any placement you are given, and there is a mobility clause in the contract.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone in the finance stream chosen their institute yet? I'm thinking about ACCA or ICAEW at the moment but not sure which to go for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grownupfrog)
    If you apply to HR, you may not apply to any other stream for that recruitment year. It doesn't sound like this was the result of a computer glitch - it's most likely that you selected the wrong option, or that you tried to add commercial as an alternative and thus de-selected HR since that isn't allowed.
    Fair enough there frog, my peculiarly frustrating situation (not appropriately resolved through requesting recruiter details from internet strangers!) has maybe worked out for the best as I got an immediately successful result from CFS - and you're right about the common mobility/flexibility/london expectations, all in all the Commercial will be just as suitable and attractive for me even though not be initial choice when I started this app - in fact I think the possibility of switching had long since passed

Good luck to those still awaiting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mozdog3000)
    Hi all,I've got my FSAC coming up on the 9th July... anyone else in that boat? I'm applying for the Economist Scheme. I was wondering if someone could clarify how the scoring works for FSAC? I see people have mentioned 6 competencies but on the page I read 10. Which competencies are combined? Also does anyone know the pass mark for economics?
    Hi!
    I also have my FSAC on the 9th, I also applied for the Economist Scheme - I'm a bit nervous, but also exited

ReputationRep:
    I've been accepted on the commercial stream after thr fsac last week and was just wondering if anyone can tell me when I'm likely to get my feedback report?

ReputationRep:
    In response to mozdog3000)

Each stream has guide lines on the competencies being assessed, this is found on your candidates fast stream forum under maps and forms. I used the FSAC guide. Also on the day each exercise the assessors make a point of making clear which competencies they are assessing for, I completed the HR fast stream on the 30th June.

Waiting for the results, does anyone know roughly how long we need to wait for the results?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pw2)
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanjuscha)
    Hi!
    I also have my FSAC on the 9th, I also applied for the Economist Scheme - I'm a bit nervous, but also exited
    Yeah exactly the same here - looks like quite a fun day! How are you prepping for it? Doesn't seem like there's that much you can do in advance...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mozdog3000)
    Yeah exactly the same here - looks like quite a fun day! How are you prepping for it? Doesn't seem like there's that much you can do in advance...
    No, I don't think you can prepare much - I think the EAC was easier to prepare for! So I just make sure that I have one or two examples ready for the competencies and then I just give my best and see how it goes!

I've heard that even when you fail the FSAC, as long as you passed the EAC there is a good chance that you get offered a position anyway, just not on the fast stream. Does anyone know how likely that is and how it works?

ReputationRep:
    I've also got my FSAC on 9th July for operational research. Anyone else following the potential tube strike on Thursday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frerejacques)
    Has anyone in the finance stream chosen their institute yet? I'm thinking about ACCA or ICAEW at the moment but not sure which to go for.
    No, I'm still struggling to decide!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozkins)
    Im swaying towards the ACA at the moment, but its a tricky one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozkins)
    I recruit non/part qualified accountants at the moment (for the next 5 weeks at least, before joining the fast stream). Generally ACA is considered slightly more prestigious. In temps of the 3 main ones I'd go ACA>CIMA>ACCA. If you're thinking of going down more of an FP&A route then bump CIMA to the top. If you're thinking of going down more of the audit / tax / financial accounting route stick with ACA.

The only disadvantage for ACA is that if you leave then you'd have to find another organisation to sponsor you. which can be quite difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice. Can anyone actually explain to me in real terms how CIMA/management accounting is different? All I keep hearing is that it's for industry', but why? How is it different in industry?

ReputationRep:
    6 days after FSAC and it still says "Awaiting Event". Is that within the norm for this second round? How long did it take for you guys for it to switch to "Awaiting results"? Cheers

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.