Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yea, I am waiting on finishing up my NHS bursary application since I am going on vacation in a few weeks - need my passport as going overseas for a couple weeks.

If we're not applying for the reduced student loan, apart from the NHS bursary is there anything else that needs to be done finance wise?

I am hoping not to run into trouble with the DBS/Health check since I am out of the country in May but I have let the admissions at DMU know already. I had booked this vacation long before I even got an interview...so can't change things now!

Hope everyone is well

ReputationRep:
    I seriously can't believe I'm actually typing this but...I have received an offer for BCU OMG!!!!! Yay!!! So unbelievably happy right now, it doesn't even feel real to me at the moment...I'm so happy for all of us!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaaySLT)
    I seriously can't believe I'm actually typing this but...I have received an offer for BCU OMG!!!!! Yay!!! So unbelievably happy right now, it doesn't even feel real to me at the moment...I'm so happy for all of us!!!!
    So pleased for you, hope to see you in September. Congratulations!!

ReputationRep:
    Well done - so pleased for you - its been worth the wait eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shropshirelass51)
    So pleased for you, hope to see you in September. Congratulations!!
    Thank you so much, yes, hopefully see you there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyPilot)
    Well done - so pleased for you - its been worth the wait eh?
    Worth it's weight in gold lol!!! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    So, what's next?! My offer is conditional on me providing proof of my previous degree and other qualifications, passing the health checks and also the police clearance. But what is it I should be getting on with on my end? TIA for any replies.
    Who guides us in these areas? The Uni themselves or do we just fathom stuff out as we go along???...

ReputationRep:
    So, what's next?! My offer is conditional on me providing proof of my previous degree and other qualifications, passing the health checks and also the police clearance. But what is it I should be getting on with on my end? TIA for any replies.
    Who guides us in these areas? The Uni themselves or do we just fathom stuff out as we go along???...
    Obviously you can deal with providing copies of your certificates etc to the uni - but it will be for the uni to contact you regarding DBS and health check - this is usually sorted a bit later when you have accepted your offer.

I go to MMU and last year we attended the uni to fill in the DBS form at drop in sessions and once we had our results and the offer was unconditional the uni sent the forms off. MMU paid for this but remember reading that some unis expect you to pay - not sure what BCU's policy is. The health check is just a form to complete then when you start they arrange for any outstanding jabs!

NHS bursary should be your next task on your personal "to do" list after sending your certificates in

ReputationRep:
    Obviously you can deal with providing copies of your certificates etc to the uni - but it will be for the uni to contact you regarding DBS and health check - this is usually sorted a bit later when you have accepted your offer.

I go to MMU and last year we attended the uni to fill in the DBS form at drop in sessions and once we had our results and the offer was unconditional the uni sent the forms off. MMU paid for this but remember reading that some unis expect you to pay - not sure what BCU's policy is. The health check is just a form to complete then when you start they arrange for any outstanding jabs!

NHS bursary should be your next task on your personal "to do" list after sending your certificates in
    Thank you so much Amy, this is very helpful. I'll get on with sending my certificates and stuff...that's the easy part! So how do I go about applying for the NHS bursary-is it online? I already have a degree so not sure if i'll qualify tho'. I will be calling up and doing my own research regarding all of this but wanted to throw my questions out on this forum first lol!!!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much Amy, this is very helpful. I'll get on with sending my certificates and stuff...that's the easy part! So how do I go about applying for the NHS bursary-is it online? I already have a degree so not sure if i'll qualify tho'. I will be calling up and doing my own research regarding all of this but wanted to throw my questions out on this forum first lol!!!
    NHS Bursary is an online application (then you have to send them bits and pieces like your passport proof of earnings etc - they will tell you what you need to send). Everyone has to apply (and will get) NHS funding - at the very least it pays your tuition fees to the uni and (I think) everyone qualifies for £1K minimum in addition to the tuition fees. I qualify for a larger bursary because of my household income but any additional monies are means tested - there is an online calculator so you can get an idea of what monies you will get. I also get a reduced loan from SFE but don't know if having had previous funding will mean you are ineligible for this part.

ReputationRep:
    I had already sent copies of my degree, etc, so my offer was unconditional, but still subject to health and DBS checks. I received my offer in February and have heard absolutely nothing from BCU since. I did think I might receive a written offer with welcome, etc. but not so far. I am guessing they will wait until they have received back replies from all those with offers before sending out the forms.
    I am going to do the bursary forms as soon as I get hold of a P60.
    Exciting times!

ReputationRep:
    Fab news! Congratulations!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madagascar)
    Fab news! Congratulations!!
    Thank you!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shropshirelass51)
    I had already sent copies of my degree, etc, so my offer was unconditional, but still subject to health and DBS checks. I received my offer in February and have heard absolutely nothing from BCU since. I did think I might receive a written offer with welcome, etc. but not so far. I am guessing they will wait until they have received back replies from all those with offers before sending out the forms.
    I am going to do the bursary forms as soon as I get hold of a P60.
    Exciting times!
    Yes, it is exciting times! Thanks for that info. I can see that sending my stuff in, and making a start on the bursary side of things is really all I should be doing now...it's so helpful to be going through all this with us all in the same boat!

ReputationRep:
    NHS Bursary is an online application (then you have to send them bits and pieces like your passport proof of earnings etc - they will tell you what you need to send). Everyone has to apply (and will get) NHS funding - at the very least it pays your tuition fees to the uni and (I think) everyone qualifies for £1K minimum in addition to the tuition fees. I qualify for a larger bursary because of my household income but any additional monies are means tested - there is an online calculator so you can get an idea of what monies you will get. I also get a reduced loan from SFE but don't know if having had previous funding will mean you are ineligible for this part.
    Thanks Amy. Your help is proving invaluable to many of us on this forum. Thanks for sticking around to respond to our unlimited queries!!!

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations! Made up for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nesca89)
    Congratulations! Made up for you
    Thanks Nesca, I'm chuffed for you too!

ReputationRep:
    Congrats, I Got one too yesterday ☺️I think I'm definitely picking there as my firm!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Is anyone firming Strathclyde? I've got offers from Manchester and Newcastle aswell but want to firm Strathclyde. The problem is the NHS grant doesn't apply in Scotland and i'm not entitled to any bursary from SAAS but would get a decent bursary from NHS in England. Does anyone know of anywhere else you can apply for bursaries in Scotland for AHP degress ?Apart from SAAS cos the bursary threshold is much lower for SAAS than the NHS bursaries. I know the Scottish gov health directorate used to give out a bursary but they have revoked it for AHP degrees now. Does anyone have any more info?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NicolaIgoe1993)
    Congrats, I Got one too yesterday ☺️I think I'm definitely picking there as my firm!
    Congratulations!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.