The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Same amount of strikers as there are goalies :borat: Fantastic.
Reply 3241
Ashton's injured? :s:

Ashley Young can feel very hard done by...
Beckham in the squad but not Ashley Young is pretty laughable tbh
Reply 3243
Sven picked this squad :colonhash:
The best England team I can make from that squad:

----------------James-----------------

Brown------Terry-----Ferdinand----A.Cole

-----------------Barry-----------------

Bentley---Gerrard----Lampard----Joe Cole

----------------Rooney----------------

It's unfortunate there's no Owen-type, clinical finisher in the squad. Perhaps Jermaine Defoe could start and you could drop Rooney/Lampard to the bench.
Rooney as a lone striker for England :nn: The other players are too static to get up and support him. Defoe isn't an ideal partner but he'll have to do for me.
Reply 3246
Don Fabio's beginning to get a little irritating.
Shame Ashton pulled up as he was a certain to start. 3 strikers takes the piss, considering one is Heskey who hasn't done anything internationally for years. Where's Bent? :colonhash:
Reply 3248
Where was Darren Bent today, to be fair. :colonhash:

I'd rather have Freddie Sears or someone than Emile again :colonhash:

Or we could play with no forwards. Confuse people that way.

Or the tactic that my mates spam on PES. Steven Gerrard and Wayne Rooney up front. :colonhash:
Emile :laugh:
Capello: Experimenting is over

The squad makes you think otherwise :colonhash:
Reply 3251
jenas :laughing:

nice one capello :nah:
Reply 3252
I only have 2 gripes really:

Walcott instead of Young. WTF?

Robinson instead of Kirkland/Green/your mum/anyone. WTF?
Even Bent should be in tbh.
Reply 3254
Ronaldo VII
Even Bent should be in tbh.

For having a good pre-season? :p:

He's not good enough. I'd rather have Emile Heskey than him based on last season's form, but ideally neither.
Laevis
For having a good pre-season? :p:

He's not good enough. I'd rather have Emile Heskey than him based on last season's form, but ideally neither.

For his pre-season, yes, but he still scored double the goals that Heskey did last season. I don't see the point in giving Heskey a callup. He is past his best and has no international future whereas Bent is 24. Even Agbonlahor should be ahead of Heskey and that is before his hat trick today. Young really should be in too.
Reply 3256
My thinking is that Heskey's in the squad because he's of a particular type rather than a particular quality. That doesn't really ring true with Capello's "Experimenting is finished" statement, though.

Ashley Young definitely should be in there.
Why doesn't Capello ask Carragher to come out of international retirement?

I'd like to see him playing for England again.

Bit miffed at why Heskey has been called up though... :ninja:
Bent isn't a great forward but he is a good channel runner, and could do well given service. But, the England team should be a meritocracy, and pre-season form isn't a great barometer for form. Let him score some goals in the PL for us first :teeth:

England should win tomorrow. I'm hoping for a good performance...players should be fresh.
Heskey played well when he was called up recently. How could you forget so quickly? :s-smilie:

Latest