Turn on thread page Beta

The European/World Football Thread II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mermania)
    it's pretty impossible for a forward to have any impact on a team playing anti-football that has 23% of possession and can't string 3 passes together. how many times did madrid even get to ball to him? not many.

Ozil got subbed so they could bring on a launchpad in Adebayor but, again, Ozil hadn't really done anything wrong, there was just no service to him whatsoever
    Exactly, Mourinho's negative attitude at home baffles me, there is no reason why he couldn't be more attacking.

This sums it up

How do the expect to get a ball when they don't even want to pressure?

ReputationRep:
    Mourinho doesn't really have an option, you can't beat Barca at their own game, if they pressed high up the pitch it would have been the 5-0 game all over again.

Teams don't really have an option but to sit back and hope for the best against Barca.

ReputationRep:
    Of course he had an option; he played with no out and out forward, ffs, or started with none anyway. Barca's backline consisted of a midfielder playing in the centre, with a CB playing on the left, yet neither were tested.

ReputationRep:
    Barca don't play with an out and out forward "ffs". Real didn't line up with an out and out forward in the CDR and won, omg, imagine that :eek3:

If Real can't get the ball, what good does an out and out forward do on the pitch? Absolutely eff all. All they would have done was concede a lot more goal scoring opportunities with less people dropping deep to defend.

ReputationRep:
    But Barca have the better players, ffs, that much is clear. That's why having no fixed focal point works for them. Barca also retain the ball better so can play it into the feet of Messi et al.

A forward would've given Madrid an outlet, and then allowed Ronaldo to run against Puyol..... apparently Mourinho was going to do this for the second half, but why not do it from the start?

Oh, it's because he was happy to take a 0-0.

ReputationRep:
    The ol' fresh legs in the second half I guess? Barca do normally drop their levels in the second half. He obviously wasn't settling for a 0-0 or he wouldn't have brought Adebayor on at HT. His plan was to make sure Barca didn't score early on.

Mourinho must just be tactically inept then?

ReputationRep:
    Diving ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnWise)
    Diving ****

Touches the ball before he makes contact with Alves's leg.

Alves has always been a s**t when it comes to cheating and rolling around like he's been shot. He's a disgrace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R-KAM)
    Barca don't play with an out and out forward "ffs". Real didn't line up with an out and out forward in the CDR and won, omg, imagine that :eek3:
    Ade only happened to be on when Ronaldo scored but hey ho, ignore that.....

And yes, Mourinho is tactically inept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnWise)
    Diving ****

When I first saw that incident I actually thought there was contact but wtf?! Pepe gets the ball and the only contact on Alves's leg is by the ball. ****ing hell.

ReputationRep:
    How would you expect Man Utd to play Barcelona in the final? conservative counter-attack style or will they try to play Barcelona at their own game?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    Touches the ball before he makes contact with Alves's leg.

Alves has always been a s**t when it comes to cheating and rolling around like he's been shot. He's a disgrace.
    He went out on a stretcher after having been struck by...

...air :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Unbelievable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dission)
    How would you expect Man Utd to play Barcelona in the final? conservative counter-attack style or will they try to play Barcelona at their own game?
    If they try and play Barcelona at their own game they won't win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    If they try and play Barcelona at their own game they won't win.
    They won't win anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlennyBoy)
    They won't win anyway.
    Pretty much.

ReputationRep:
    Two games going on there.

One was to get as many players of the opposition sent off as possible.

The other, the minor sport, was to score goals.

Very good second by Messi although by then the Madrid players would've been **** scared to attempt to tackle him.

If these teams just went out and tried to play football it would be a great spectacle but as it is, it's awful to watch.

ReputationRep:
    I know this is really off-topic from the Madrid/Barca convo above, but did anyone else apply for Euro 2012 tickets?
    I applied 3 times, and so far 2/3 have been unsuccessful.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see Falcao and Cavani paired in attack together. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    Was very disappointed with the way in which we threw away that tie. It was all under control until the second half, and then 10 crazy minutes and we pissed it all away. I wish Jesus would employ more reserved tactics for when we're defending leads.. we dont NEED to play with two up front in a match where we should be looking to hold the ball and play counter-attacking football; put Airton in there and play with two DMCs, plus Peixoto for even more cover...

I think its been this way in a lot of matches this season.. we came quite close to throwing away the Europa League as well.

Didnt really celebrate the Taca da Liga that much.. although I'm glad we didnt throw that away as well. It was a fairly close match.. David Simao impressed me A LOT. That guy has a future and it seems V. Guimaraes is interested on loaning him, which would be an excellent move for him. I hope to see him playing for Benfica in a few years...

Well.. not much to look forward to now. Hopefully we can get through to the final in the EL and then beat Porto at least once this season...
    Porto vs Benfica final is still on!!
    Shocked, didn't expect that at all!! Good 2nd half performance by us, i absolutely love Falcao!! It still seems too early to start getting carried away though! Next week really needs to hurry up!! But that couldn't have gone any better for us!

We're actually on fire right now, we've been super this season! And i'm already bored to the speculation of Boas going elsewhere... :rolleyes:

(Original post by Beneb)
    I'd like to see Falcao and Cavani paired in attack together. :coma:
    He just simply can't leave Porto! I starting to think he won't go though. I think he'll at least stay for at least this season for the CL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    When I first saw that incident I actually thought there was contact but wtf?! Pepe gets the ball and the only contact on Alves's leg is by the ball. ****ing hell.
    Ditto. Makes me angry.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.