Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fivetotwelve)
    6 days after FSAC and it still says "Awaiting Event". Is that within the norm for this second round? How long did it take for you guys for it to switch to "Awaiting results"? Cheers
    That's normal, don't worry. It stays as that status until your report is received by parity, the company that processes it all. At that point it will go to 'awaiting results'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grownupfrog)
    That's normal, don't worry. It stays as that status until your report is received by parity, the company that processes it all. At that point it will go to 'awaiting results'.
    Thank you, grownupfrog, it's typical, I checked once more after reading your reply and it had changed to "Awaiting Results" :-)

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I received an email from Fast Stream about the Direct Appointment Scheme today - does anyone know how this works? I can't find much information online.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know how long it takes from awaiting results? and awaiting results from what I understand means that I am in the band where I got enough to not get rejected but not enough to get accepted, is that right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conc)
    Hi all, I received an email from Fast Stream about the Direct Appointment Scheme today - does anyone know how this works? I can't find much information online.
    Got the same email and was about to ask the same question.

In your email, did they use the line 'although we can't guarantee you a job, with the numbers of places that have arisen it is very likely that you will be offered a place'???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loki276)
    Do you know how long it takes from awaiting results? and awaiting results from what I understand means that I am in the band where I got enough to not get rejected but not enough to get accepted, is that right?
    It varies from a few days to a few months. If you're amber banded then you'll stay as 'awaiting results' for a while, if you're an immediate pass it'll change to 'successful' within a couple of days. Patience! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JHart1865)
    Got the same email and was about to ask the same question.

In your email, did they use the line 'although we can't guarantee you a job, with the numbers of places that have arisen it is very likely that you will be offered a place'???

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Got the same email and yes mine said that too - It seems very vague and can't find much about it online either!

ReputationRep:
    It varies from a few days to a few months. If you're amber banded then you'll stay as 'awaiting results' for a while, if you're an immediate pass it'll change to 'successful' within a couple of days. Patience! Good luck!
    Ah understood, thank you for the good wishes and thank you for the information

ReputationRep:
    Passed HR :-) Thank you to everyone here answering questions and sharing information, found it very helpful :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ms123123)
    Got the same email and yes mine said that too - It seems very vague and can't find much about it online either!
    I'm surprised at the lack of information online about it.

I'm not sure what to make of it. On the face of it, it almost sounds like a guaranteed job (which is not to be sniffed at in these times) but on the other hand it can be anywhere and at any time.

Very strange!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I got the direct appointment email too -- sounds promising. You don't know where or what the job might be, no, but that's no different to how the fast stream itself operates so shouldn't be too startling surely? I just sent off my form -- here's hoping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TritonSails)
    I got the direct appointment email too -- sounds promising. You don't know where or what the job might be, no, but that's no different to how the fast stream itself operates so shouldn't be too startling surely? I just sent off my form -- here's hoping.
    That's a good point.

Suppose the difference is that with the Fast Stream you do 6 placements and expect to be relocating. With this it's a little more permanent.

Also, I applied for the finance scheme, so would have gained a professional accountancy qualification through the Fast Stream. This for me would mean a potential change in expected career, although that's not necessarily a bad thing and i'm certainly open to change.

The few bits I have read have been promising, with some experiencing a quicker rise to a level 7 position, whilst also having more flexibility in their professional development than the Fast Streamers do.

ReputationRep:
    what do you wear to the assessment centre?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabzz23)
    what do you wear to the assessment centre?
    Smart office wear. If you're a guy, definitely a suit. Girls - suits or smart dress with blazer.

ReputationRep:
    im actually not an applicant BUT i have been invited to for an exercise trial as a volunteer to improve there recruiment for next years 2016 candidates... should i still go in quitr smartly dressed? or semi formal??

ReputationRep:
    Smart office wear. If you're a guy, definitely a suit. Girls - suits or smart dress with blazer.

im actually not an applicant BUT i have been invited to for an exercise trial as a volunteer to improve there recruiment for next years 2016 candidates... should i still go in quitr smartly dressed? or semi formal??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabzz23)
    Same answer as before - if you're a guy wear a suit, if you're a girl wear a suit or a dress with a blazer. Smart office wear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conc)
    Hi Conc. I was appointed to the civil service via the Direct Appointment Scheme (DAS) three years ago. Although it's worth noting things could easily have changed by now, I'll briefly outline my experiences below.

I got the same email as you, although it arrived for me in August. I got a further email late in August saying the position I was being put forward for. I then had a sort of an interview (I'm not sure I could have failed it) mid-September. The same week I was offered a job. I started work end of November, after all my checks went through.

Whilst the majority of DASers went to London, I was appointed to be Legislation Coordinator for Welsh Government. This has been a brilliant role for me, involving fast-paced project management and policy work.

I applied for the Fast Stream again this year and was successful. I feel my experiences gained through being appointed on the DAS gave my chances a significant boost.

Very happy to answer any questions you have on the scheme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TruckBear)
    Hi Conc. I was appointed to the civil service via the Direct Appointment Scheme (DAS) three years ago. Although it's worth noting things could easily have changed by now, I'll briefly outline my experiences below.

I got the same email as you, although it arrived for me in August. I got a further email late in August saying the position I was being put forward for. I then had a sort of an interview (I'm not sure I could have failed it) mid-September. The same week I was offered a job. I started work end of November, after all my checks went through.

Whilst the majority of DASers went to London, I was appointed to be Legislation Coordinator for Welsh Government. This has been a brilliant role for me, involving fast-paced project management and policy work.

I applied for the Fast Stream again this year and was successful. I feel my experiences gained through being appointed on the DAS gave my chances a significant boost.

Very happy to answer any questions you have on the scheme.
    Hi TruckBear. I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind?

1) Did you find that there wasn't the professional development opportunities as a DASer and that's why you reapplied to the Fast Stream?

2) What sort of things were discussed when you met your department before being offered a job?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Some more Direct Appoint Scheme experience, for those who are interested:

I joined the Civil Service on the DAS scheme in July 2013, after missing out on a Central Departments application. I got the email, then about 2 weeks later the line manager of the team that wanted me called up and basically said "I've got your papers here, when can you start?" No interviews or anything like that.

I think there were 3 other DAS people at the department before me, and new ones kept arriving through until September, so appointments can take place over a long period.

In terms of the scheme itself, there was none of the organised access to formal training that Fast Streamers get, nor the residential induction, etc. There were enough of us though that we could generally get access to any training we wanted by collectively booking and leveraging our numbers.

The main benefit of the scheme, in my opinion, is that applying to the Fast Stream is much, much easier once you've worked in the Civil Service. I reapplied for the next round and found it much easier to get through the eTray, FSAC and FSB - you have experience with the competencies and you know the style and vocabulary to use in the written tasks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.