62.47%
    not helpful
    37.53%

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by JessE1610)
    Hi
    I was just wondering what do you actually put in your report/essay at the end? We have been told different things by teachers! I am doing a project on stress around exam time.
    Thanks
    You address your question. It is just an extended essay.. so you will most likely gather research, discuss and compare them before concluding addressing your original query (the title).

(Original post by N0body)
    Someone help me I'n terribly confused.
    I submitted my first draft of the 5000 word essay but my supervisor wants my research report. Isn't the research report the 5000 word essay? If not please explain what it is.
    They may be talking about the "Production Log" which for me is a report and continual evaluation of sources and my planning. I am on the AQA board, not a clue about the others although one assumes they are somewhat similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harriet : ))
    They sound really good! You could look at how learning through play changes to more structured styles I'm doing mine on why girls are better readers than boys- sounds really sexist but it looks at different aspects like nature/nuture
    Thank you! Yours is a good idea as well. Yeah, I will look into that!

ReputationRep:
    "To what extent has Ancient Athenian society affected modern English Criminal Law?"

Not specific enough?
    Too large? Too small?
    Anyone have advice on a specific time period?
    Also, I'm thinking about changing it from Criminal to Medical Law or Human Rights Law, are those fields to small for the EPQ in relation to the question?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Trying to narrow down my question - I am interested in East Asia (Japan, Korea, China) and possibly incorporating geography, as these are what I would be interested in studying at university.

I'm trying to think of a title now, at the moment I have something like: "Is the expansion of Korean pop culture a credible example of East Asian expansion, or just another case of Westernisation?"
    Is this too narrow/broad? Does it sound convincing, haha...

For geography, I was thinking of doing something on ENSO (El Nino) - can't think of a succint yet researchable question though!?

Any other ideas gratefully received!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!
    I reallly need help..i've done like 4000 words on my epq and showd it to my supervisor who literally said that it was crap im so stressed and ive been told that my final draft should be handed in next monday ( so can anyone please help me out and tell me on what kind of ideas i cn explore? my epq is on the development in cosmetic dentistry and what factors influence it.

Also another question for those who have finished their epq..do u have to write the essay in 3rd person? cnt i write it in 1st person?

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil Monkey)
    Hi everyone!
    I reallly need help..i've done like 4000 words on my epq and showd it to my supervisor who literally said that it was crap im so stressed and ive been told that my final draft should be handed in next monday ( so can anyone please help me out and tell me on what kind of ideas i cn explore? my epq is on the development in cosmetic dentistry and what factors influence it.

Also another question for those who have finished their epq..do u have to write the essay in 3rd person? cnt i write it in 1st person?

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME
    Well i've made the majority third person with the few exceptions of first person which express my views. Maybe you should tell people what you've already done so that they can help.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Just wondering how many sources you guys are using in your EPQ? I've used about ten and I've barely started
    (so far just newspaper articles mainly though!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodmorningworld)
    Hi,
    Just wondering how many sources you guys are using in your EPQ? I've used about ten and I've barely started
    (so far just newspaper articles mainly though!)
    I would also like to know roughly how many sources you need! I'm over halfway through and I've only got roughly 20-25 different sources...will I have enough?

ReputationRep:
    Anybody could give some basic topic ideas on an epq on economics based?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paramore<3)
    Trying to narrow down my question - I am interested in East Asia (Japan, Korea, China) and possibly incorporating geography, as these are what I would be interested in studying at university.

I'm trying to think of a title now, at the moment I have something like: "Is the expansion of Korean pop culture a credible example of East Asian expansion, or just another case of Westernisation?"
    Is this too narrow/broad? Does it sound convincing, haha...

For geography, I was thinking of doing something on ENSO (El Nino) - can't think of a succint yet researchable question though!?

Any other ideas gratefully received!
    Gangnam Style! :party2::nutcase:
    Had to mention that...

It's a very focused question (:thumbsup:), I don't know much about it so I won't be able to tell you anything. I just thought I might as well say something seeing as I made that joke about Gangnam Style.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathan0012)
    Gangnam Style! :party2::nutcase:
    Had to mention that...

It's a very focused question (:thumbsup:), I don't know much about it so I won't be able to tell you anything. I just thought I might as well say something seeing as I made that joke about Gangnam Style.
    Haha, thank you. Of course, I would have to include Gangnam Style in it! *horse-riding smilie goes here*

ReputationRep:
    I am sure that this question has been asked already a million times but I'm currently finishing my EPQ essay (literally the night before its due ), and it seems likely that the word count will reach around 7,000 words, could I be penalised for this? My teacher said the 5000 words is technically only a guideline and that anything under 10,000 words is fine lol :P But I guess they night just think I haven't been concise enough

Has anyone known someone whose report was significantly over 5000 words but got a good grade? I'm not aiming for an A* or anything but I'm just paranoid I'll get capped at a C or something!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgasm19)
    I am sure that this question has been asked already a million times but I'm currently finishing my EPQ essay (literally the night before its due ), and it seems likely that the word count will reach around 7,000 words, could I be penalised for this? My teacher said the 5000 words is technically only a guideline and that anything under 10,000 words is fine lol :P But I guess they night just think I haven't been concise enough

Has anyone known someone whose report was significantly over 5000 words but got a good grade? I'm not aiming for an A* or anything but I'm just paranoid I'll get capped at a C or something!
    Mine was 7000 and it wasn't penalised. I think you'll be alright. The main reason for there being a 5000 word limit is because a very long essay is either indicative of an extremely detailed essay or, in most cases, a rambling one. I'm not saying that is you but it is quite often the case with people who write way over the word limit so read through your essay and double check that you haven't written anything twice or strayed off the subject. The best way to check is to ensure that every single sentence is relevant to the question you're asking in your essay title.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    Mine was 7000 and it wasn't penalised. I think you'll be alright. The main reason for there being a 5000 word limit is because a very long essay is either indicative of an extremely detailed essay or, in most cases, a rambling one. I'm not saying that is you but it is quite often the case with people who write way over the word limit so read through your essay and double check that you haven't written anything twice or strayed off the subject. The best way to check is to ensure that every single sentence is relevant to the question you're asking in your essay title.
    Oh okay, phew Thanks for your reply you had no idea I was freaking out so much! Don't worry I'm not offended as I'm sure mine is quite rambly :P But as long as 5,000 isn't a maximum then I'm fine! Will I get penalised if it's too long winded then?

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, phew Thanks for your reply you had no idea I was freaking out so much! Don't worry I'm not offended as I'm sure mine is quite rambly :P But as long as 5,000 isn't a maximum then I'm fine! Will I get penalised if it's too long winded then?
    I expect so. It's down to the discretion of the person marking it but if they feel you could have written in 5000 words what you wrote in 7000, they're not going to be too impressed. And that's not a good habit to get into anyway - at university, for example, word limits are very strict. If you use up your 2000 words writing something that could be shortened to 500, you are going to lose a lot of marks. It's best to get used to being succinct - that way you get more said, more effectively.

ReputationRep:
    I expect so. It's down to the discretion of the person marking it but if they feel you could have written in 5000 words what you wrote in 7000, they're not going to be too impressed. And that's not a good habit to get into anyway - at university, for example, word limits are very strict. If you use up your 2000 words writing something that could be shortened to 500, you are going to lose a lot of marks. It's best to get used to being succinct - that way you get more said, more effectively.
    Okay. Well thanks for your honesty and advice. The thing is I think I could have written what I did in maybe a few hundred less words but not in 5000 words. To be honest I mainly just did it for the experience of doing independent research and to explore a topic I'm interested in, universities won't even see my grade when I apply as I have already sent my UCAS form off and won't receive my EPQ grade till later this year-I just handed it phew it's such a relief to have it all behind me

What topic was your EPQ on?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any ideas for a dental based EPQ. I feel like im thinking of the usual stuff and im not being unique

ReputationRep:
    Okay. Well thanks for your honesty and advice. The thing is I think I could have written what I did in maybe a few hundred less words but not in 5000 words. To be honest I mainly just did it for the experience of doing independent research and to explore a topic I'm interested in, universities won't even see my grade when I apply as I have already sent my UCAS form off and won't receive my EPQ grade till later this year-I just handed it phew it's such a relief to have it all behind me

What topic was your EPQ on?
    It was on youth justice, using the murder of James Bulger as an example.

ReputationRep:
    It was on youth justice, using the murder of James Bulger as an example.
    Oh cool thats such an interesting topic

ReputationRep:

Yeah don't worry at all mine was 11000 words excluding the appendix and I got an A*

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.