Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pgce2013)
    I mean staff, I just feel as if I am between being a student and employee but without any rights. We are in a difficult situation whilst on placement. I wouldn't like to disclose my subject however I am in secondary.

It's not all doom and gloom, I enjoy seeing pupils tick and grasp a concept.

You mentioned you are on schools direct so will be treated more like you are part of the team and hopefully your hard work acknowledged. Remember your first few weeks will be the hardest, you will feel like giving up. Once you've made the first few weeks it will get easier.

First weeks are difficult because :

New routines
    Getting to know pupils
    Getting to know the building
    Getting your head around your timetable and classes
    Starting to teach
    Lesson planning
    Data sheets
    Seating plans
    Behaviour management ( it's vital you get this in order to make your life easier, even if it means taking time out)
    Understating SOW
    New staff

The list is endless, however after a few weeks the list above will be narrowed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. It really is appreciated. It sound pretty much like I expected - a lot to get your head around and take on board and a LOT of hard work. Believe me, I am not expecting a walk in the park! All the best, good luck with your final term. I'm sure you'll make an excellent teacher.

ReputationRep:
    Panicking about my interview lesson. At a complete dead end with it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you have to do?

xxx

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't overthink it or worry about being 'outstanding'. Interview lessons are just for them to get a flavour of how you teach, how you communicate with pupils, how you adapt and respond to situations that might arise.

Just make sure learning takes place, that you assess that learning during the lesson and have a clear learning objective which feeds into everything you do in that lesson.

Smile, try and enjoy it and it will be over in a flash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    What do you have to do?

xxx
    It's a 40 minute lesson, just on a very obscure/broad topic!

I'm just trying to think of some good ways to show progress. I have differentiation sorted.

(Original post by Steveluis10)
    Don't overthink it or worry about being 'outstanding'. Interview lessons are just for them to get a flavour of how you teach, how you communicate with pupils, how you adapt and respond to situations that might arise.

Just make sure learning takes place, that you assess that learning during the lesson and have a clear learning objective which feeds into everything you do in that lesson.

Smile, try and enjoy it and it will be over in a flash.

Thank you! I am definitely starting to over-think it I'm putting way too much pressure on myself just because it's my old secondary school and I guess I just want to impress them.

ReputationRep:
    It's a 40 minute lesson, just on a very obscure/broad topic!

I'm just trying to think of some good ways to show progress. I have differentiation sorted.

Thank you! I am definitely starting to over-think it I'm putting way too much pressure on myself just because it's my old secondary school and I guess I just want to impress them.
    Display lesson objectives/success criteria at the start. Ask them to state where they think they are at this point, writing it on a post-it note. Stress that it is okay to be at the bottom because they'll be at the top by the end
    As a plenary, tell them to write a sentence which explains where they are now and how/why they think they have improved this lesson.

ReputationRep:
    How many days have you guys missed of school other than for official reasons like going uni? I'm terribly ill and have missed the last two and kinda worried. But I guess if you're ill, you're ill - we're human after all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty_mad)
    How many days have you guys missed of school other than for official reasons like going uni? I'm terribly ill and have missed the last two and kinda worried. But I guess if you're ill, you're ill - we're human after all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I haven't missed a day. However, I am aware we are allowed about 5 days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pgce2013)
    I haven't missed a day. However, I am aware we are allowed about 5 days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And does that account for illnesses? I've missed three - one for an interview and two due to illness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think interviews or days at uni count as an absence. Illness does though. Get well soon

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think interviews or days at uni count as an absence. Illness does though. Get well soon

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks. Hopefully back in action tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone thinking of doing supply after they qualify?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty_mad)
    And does that account for illnesses? I've missed three - one for an interview and two due to illness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes 5 days for illness, interviews are separate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Back teaching today - computer malfunction meant a 60 minute lesson became a 40 minute lesson but it went ok. Second lesson went really well, quickly back in the spring of things. Got 4/5 periods teaching tomorrow so that should be stressful.

Still, once I get past my tutor coming in next week I'll see the finishing line. Just need to catch up on about 15 lesson evaluations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    Back teaching today - computer malfunction meant a 60 minute lesson became a 40 minute lesson but it went ok. Second lesson went really well, quickly back in the spring of things. Got 4/5 periods teaching tomorrow so that should be stressful.

Still, once I get past my tutor coming in next week I'll see the finishing line. Just need to catch up on about 15 lesson evaluations
    Haha that's exactly what I'm doing now! I've been chosen for moderation, so need to get my folder up to scratch!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This week has been chaos. So much to do it's not even funny.

Managed to get my assignment done (though it's not great), marked year 8 and 9 books, planned all my year 8 lessons for this week including the one my tutor is coming to see.

Still to plan:

3 x year 10 lessons
    3 x year 7
    3 x year 9

Evidence file to sort out for this week for third review

About 4 weeks worth of lesson evaluations to do.

30 more school days and counting

ReputationRep:
    last placement is making me want to wave the little white flag! I don't know how I'm going to cope a further 8 weeks! I've cried everyday at some point :-/ and now I have kid germs! Someone put me out of my misery :-/ x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frankenstein)
    last placement is making me want to wave the little white flag! I don't know how I'm going to cope a further 8 weeks! I've cried everyday at some point :-/ and now I have kid germs! Someone put me out of my misery :-/ x
    I really don't want to go back 2mrw. I have 4 more weeks to go

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Four more weeks of constant surveillance and being told I need to be more organised etc. Slightly difficult when I have to work on weekends just to survive!

ReputationRep:
    I feel so sad that governmental interference of every colour over the last years has left education in this state, where those who are coming into the profession and should be keen, eager and enthusiastic are being broken like this before they even start.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.