The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

42-7. Nothing else to say.
Unbelievable play by the Pats so far. Just wow. If we can play like this every game we are definitely superbowl bound. It's just maintaining this that may be a challenge.
Absolutely elated right now. :gah:
Ouch. Broncos got absolutely crushed by the Patriots
First off, hell yeah Vernon Davis. Way to make Terrapin Nation proud. Great alumnus of the University of Maryland.

Second, I can't wait for the Ravens to completely **** Tom Brady up next weekend. Holy ****, I forgot how much I hate that team. Belichick is the most arrogant coach in the game. Show a little class next time and don't run up the score. Suggs and the rest of the Ravens defense won't stand for that kinda crap. I know I'm gonna get negged for saying this, but I was just waiting for Brady to get hurt. There is no reason he should have been in the game in the 4th quarter. I hope he's ready for Ball So Hard University next weekend because Baltimore won't allow such ridiculousness. The Broncos defense is absolutely nothing compared to the Ravens.

With all that being said, let's go Ravens! Gotta beat Houston today.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Baltimoron
First off, hell yeah Vernon Davis. Way to make Terrapin Nation proud. Great alumnus of the University of Maryland.

Second, I can't wait for the Ravens to completely **** Tom Brady up next weekend. Holy ****, I forgot how much I hate that team. Belichick is the most arrogant coach in the game. Show a little class next time and don't run up the score. Suggs and the rest of the Ravens defense won't stand for that kinda crap. I know I'm gonna get negged for saying this, but I was just waiting for Brady to get hurt. There is no reason he should have been in the game in the 4th quarter. I hope he's ready for Ball So Hard University next weekend because Baltimore won't allow such ridiculousness. The Broncos defense is absolutely nothing compared to the Ravens.

With all that being said, let's go Ravens! Gotta beat Houston today.

Being a fan from the UK, I really don't understand this last bit of sportsmanship that is maintained in the NFL: not running up the score. You get players trash talking, giving dangerous hits, but low and behold someone should keep trying to score. I honestly think this 'rule' is a throwback to times when the sport wasn't as mainstream, players weren't payed or were payed very little. It is a fair enough rule in amateur sport, but in professional sport where the players are being payed millions of dollars they just gotta man up. Just take it, you're playing ****e, you deserve to be humiliated by the other team.

I would actually say pulling the starters is more humiliating. You are essentially putting in your 2nd team and saying, your first team is so outclassed by our guys that we have to put in our 2nd team just so we can't score anymore against you.

/rant

edit: I know for a fact that a football (soccer) team over here would be even more insulted if a team winning started to bring on lesser known players and tried to run the clock out. As a professional you are expected to play hard for the whole game.
(edited 12 years ago)
That game was amazing!! Can't wait for next weekend!
Original post by avash27
That game was amazing!! Can't wait for next weekend!

agreed, can't wait for tonight's games as well. Defensive game in the AFC, shootout in NFC.
Reply 3288
I'm so excited for this giant game today> i really think we can get the W by we i mean the giants i'm a big fan
Original post by fudgesundae
agreed, can't wait for tonight's games as well. Defensive game in the AFC, shootout in NFC.

Can't wait for Giants v Packers... my dad is a Giants fan (traitor - we live in New England!!), want to see his team go down :tongue:
Original post by avash27
Can't wait for Giants v Packers... my dad is a Giants fan (traitor - we live in New England!!), want to see his team go down :tongue:

haha, yep gonna be a great game :biggrin:

I would actually say pulling the starters is more humiliating. You are essentially putting in your 2nd team and saying, your first team is so outclassed by our guys that we have to put in our 2nd team just so we can't score anymore against you.

Pulling the starters is also so you don't get some angry linebacker on the defense, who's pumped up about 'playing for pride' deciding that if his offense can't score any points then at least he's going to inflict PAIN on somebody, and ends up putting out one of the starters for 6 weeks
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Pulling the starters is also so you don't get some angry linebacker on the defense, who's pumped up about 'playing for pride' deciding that if his offense can't score any points then at least he's going to inflict PAIN on somebody, and ends up putting out one of the starters for 6 weeks

haha yeh, but this is what I mean. Running up the score is a huge no no, yet some players think like that?
haha yeh, but this is what I mean. Running up the score is a huge no no, yet some players think like that?

To be fair if I get past 40 on Madden, I start taking it easy, trying unusual plays etc, because I feel like if I've scored too many then I get worried that my end of season stats are going to become unrealistic.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
To be fair if I get past 40 on Madden, I start taking it easy, trying unusual plays etc, because I feel like if I've scored too many then I get worried that my end of season stats are going to become unrealistic.

true, although if I get past 40 too often I turn some sliders up. I just love close games on Madden so much.
Just got 12-4 with the Browns but got beaten in the second round on Madden 08. I turned the sliders up a bit several times during the season and I think I got them right now, cause it was too easy.
Watched the Saints 49ers game last night. Probably the best NFL game I've watched all season. Just pips the Packers @ the Giants, which will be a great game tonight at Lambeau. My brother is a Giants fan and I have so much respect for Aaron Rodgers, so I'm sure there'll be banter tonight! Haha.

Only really got into NFL this season, have a soft spot for the Colts. I hope that they don't get rid of Manning, even with them having the #1 draft pick. Though to be honest, who's to say they might not pick a new Wide Receiver? I hear talk of them getting rid of Reggie Wayne, and next season is almost definitely going to be a recovery year for the Colts, though they have been the dominating force in the AFC South for the past few season (this year excluded, haha).

And I hear talk of Madden? I'm actually playing Franchise Mode with the Carolina Panthers now, as I was challenged by my brother to be the team with the worst statistics last year. First time I really played Madden, so I was shocking on defense early on in the season - regularly conceding more than 40 points, but I think the lowest amount of points I've scored is like, 45? So I'm doing well. But my statistics are crazy. DeAngelo Williams has broken the rushing records in a game about five times. Finished the regular season 15-1, as I simmed the final four games of the season because I won my division. Lost to the Bucaneers 20-10, who I beat 105-31 on the road to win the Division...

End of long post!
Original post by mobius323
Watched the Saints 49ers game last night. Probably the best NFL game I've watched all season. Just pips the Packers @ the Giants, which will be a great game tonight at Lambeau. My brother is a Giants fan and I have so much respect for Aaron Rodgers, so I'm sure there'll be banter tonight! Haha.

Only really got into NFL this season, have a soft spot for the Colts. I hope that they don't get rid of Manning, even with them having the #1 draft pick. Though to be honest, who's to say they might not pick a new Wide Receiver? I hear talk of them getting rid of Reggie Wayne, and next season is almost definitely going to be a recovery year for the Colts, though they have been the dominating force in the AFC South for the past few season (this year excluded, haha).

And I hear talk of Madden? I'm actually playing Franchise Mode with the Carolina Panthers now, as I was challenged by my brother to be the team with the worst statistics last year. First time I really played Madden, so I was shocking on defense early on in the season - regularly conceding more than 40 points, but I think the lowest amount of points I've scored is like, 45? So I'm doing well. But my statistics are crazy. DeAngelo Williams has broken the rushing records in a game about five times. Finished the regular season 15-1, as I simmed the final four games of the season because I won my division. Lost to the Bucaneers 20-10, who I beat 105-31 on the road to win the Division...

End of long post!

They won't use the number 1 pick on a wide receiver, although if they decide they don't want Luck they will probably receive a top 10 draft choice + many other draft picks for the number 1 pick, and they may get a WR with that.

Although I believe it is highly unlikely they won't draft Luck. They will probably keep Luck behind Manning for 1 season (ala Favre and Rodgers) and go from there.
They won't use the number 1 pick on a wide receiver, although if they decide they don't want Luck they will probably receive a top 10 draft choice + many other draft picks for the number 1 pick, and they may get a WR with that.

Although I believe it is highly unlikely they won't draft Luck. They will probably keep Luck behind Manning for 1 season (ala Favre and Rodgers) and go from there.

Yeah, to be honest, I think the most likely thing that will happen is the Colts and Manning will agree to postpone his $27m bonus until next March, keep him on for another season and take Andrew Luck on the first pick. Then, keep Manning as a starter for a few games, while letting Luck have a bit-part role in the 3rd and 4th quarter if and when the Colts have a comfortable lead. It'd be the wise thing to do, at least.

I do suspect that the Colts will be actively looking for a new Offense in the draft, what with them being widely tipped to get rid of Jeff Saturday, Reggie Wayne, etc... I wouldn't be surprised if they look for a new Running Back, too. The Colts' running game was atrocious this year.
Original post by mobius323
Yeah, to be honest, I think the most likely thing that will happen is the Colts and Manning will agree to postpone his $27m bonus until next March, keep him on for another season and take Andrew Luck on the first pick. Then, keep Manning as a starter for a few games, while letting Luck have a bit-part role in the 3rd and 4th quarter if and when the Colts have a comfortable lead. It'd be the wise thing to do, at least.

I do suspect that the Colts will be actively looking for a new Offense in the draft, what with them being widely tipped to get rid of Jeff Saturday, Reggie Wayne, etc... I wouldn't be surprised if they look for a new Running Back, too. The Colts' running game was atrocious this year.

Yep agree, they need a lot more than a QB to fix their problems. Just losing Peyton Manning does not turn a 12+win team into a 2-14 team, they have major problems on both sides of the ball.

Latest