University of Leeds Accomodation 2011 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Prose Before Hoes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Teh User)
Daddy is penniless. Mummy has lots of money and probably will lend me it on the 7th day, but I'd rather just get it over with rather than days of arguments and uncertainty.
Overdraft? Assuming you have a student bank account now? My bank offers up to £200 interest free overdraft...one of my friends has already had to dip into theirs.
Prose Before Hoes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ohhelloruth)
james baillie! block D
Did you get your email? Or did you call them?
hwalker37
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Daddy is penniless. Mummy has lots of money and probably will lend me it on the 7th day, but I'd rather just get it over with rather than days of arguments and uncertainty.
I'm now £200 overdrawn in the student account I took out a little over 5 hours ago

Just set up a student bank account and pay the deposit as an overdraft
Muffinz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've been working all summer ._.
dmz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Muffinz)
I've been working all summer ._.
I've been working all year , well 7 months, slept the other 5
Teh User
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hwalker37)
I'm now £200 overdrawn in the student account I took out a little over 5 hours ago

Just set up a student bank account and pay the deposit as an overdraft
Which bank is this out of interest?
hwalker37
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Which bank is this out of interest?
HSBC. You get a £500 credit card, debit card with £1000 overdraft, cheque book and free holiday insurance. First 3 months using the credit card you get 0% APR as well, so if you want to use a credit card do it sooner rather than later. I only chose to have a credit card to build up my credit rating, as you can set it up to pay for things monthly, and then get paid off right after you've bought it. From the banks point of view this means you are borrowing money and then always paying it back on time, which means a half decent credit rating at a young age.
Teh User
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hwalker37)
HSBC. You get a £500 credit card, debit card with £1000 overdraft, cheque book and free holiday insurance. First 3 months using the credit card you get 0% APR as well, so if you want to use a credit card do it sooner rather than later. I only chose to have a credit card to build up my credit rating, as you can set it up to pay for things monthly, and then get paid off right after you've bought it. From the banks point of view this means you are borrowing money and then always paying it back on time, which means a half decent credit rating at a young age.
Sounds nice, did they accept you on the spot and did you go to a branch to get it? I don't have much credit history through being unemployed. Stupid HSBC closed my local branch down last year too as well so will have to drive. Currently with Halifax.

I was looking at the credit card to improve my credit rating. Someone I know has a Lloyds one. I assume the debit card is Visa too?
hwalker37
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sounds nice, did they accept you on the spot and did you go to a branch to get it? I don't have much credit history through being unemployed. Stupid HSBC closed my local branch down last year too as well so will have to drive. Currently with Halifax.

I was looking at the credit card to improve my credit rating. Someone I know has a Lloyds one. I assume the debit card is Visa too?
The Debit's a visa yes. I already had a debit account with them so it was a little easier for me (kept my account number) but I recommend ringing them first on their branch number to check the're free and that they can offer you a student account. Then go in and set it all up with one of their staff, it is so much easier face-to-face when setting something like this up. They check your rating when you're there (mine would have been 0 ) so as long as you've kept fairly debt free you should be fine. Also, if you want to make payments straight away ask if they've got one of the security card things to hand and ask them to set you up there and then (definitely worth doing as it turns out my DOB was 11/11/1166 ). That would have been a pain to try and resolve over the phone!

My sister's a fourth year medic and has stayed with HSBC throughout, and now has an overdraft of £2000 and £800 available on credit.

Also, remember your confirmation letter, passport and any other debit/credit cards you have. And get a cheque book, apparently it's the easiest way of dealing with landlords!
Teh User
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks, been thinking of lots of banks to go with, was interested with HSBC earlier, will look into it properly now.
vickimackie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks, been thinking of lots of banks to go with, was interested with HSBC earlier, will look into it properly now.
have a look at Natwest, they give you a free 4 year railcard as well as all the overdraft stuff Also, Lloyds give you a free NUS card for the time you're at uni so it's worth having a look around and seeing what kind of extra benefits some student accounts give you. I've also heard that there will be representatives from banks at the freshers fairs talking to students about opening accounts so no need to rush into it
PhilosophyIsMyGame
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
On the e-Into on the Leeds portal it says that I don't need to make a time slot for moving into accommodation. I want to move in on the 17th (Saturday)! Can I just come anytime during the day?
I'm going to be at Clarence dock xx
slizzie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I plan on doing that, moving in late afternoon on the saturday after a lovely 5 hour train trip and afternoon of shopping. Anyone else training it to leeds?
dmz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
can't decide whether to do 1 payment and get it over and be broke till student finance or stick with 3 and risk forgetting to pay or overspending before i pay
Teh User
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dmz)
can't decide whether to do 1 payment and get it over and be broke till student finance or stick with 3 and risk forgetting to pay or overspending before i pay
I think you can set up a direct debit once you get there. I'd go with 3.
Chunkeymonkey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by PhilosophyIsMyGame)
On the e-Into on the Leeds portal it says that I don't need to make a time slot for moving into accommodation. I want to move in on the 17th (Saturday)! Can I just come anytime during the day?
I'm going to be at Clarence dock xx
I basically scrolled through the accomodation induction but when it comes to clicking on the name (Charles Morris) it doesnt come up?
PhilosophyIsMyGame
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Chunkeymonkey)
I basically scrolled through the accomodation induction but when it comes to clicking on the name (Charles Morris) it doesnt come up?
On the links where you have to click on accommodation Clarence Dock isn't there so confused!xx
Chunkeymonkey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
On the links where you have to click on accommodation Clarence Dock isn't there so confused!xx
Ahh yea. I just checked. It isnt. Maybe you dont have to book then. Is it a popular accommodation? Maybe theres enough space for everyone to turn up when they want?

I might give them a call later today or monday cause I dont want to get left with the rubbish slots!
dmz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think you can set up a direct debit once you get there. I'd go with 3.

oh cool, probably the smart thing to do, don't wanna risk being broke for freshers
dmz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
what's this about? Thought we had to wait till the 31 before we could do the eintro thing
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (508)
37.71%
No - but I will (103)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (644)
47.81%

Watched Threads